Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones Reviews

Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones Reviews

Bizzel

Reliable, High-End Stalwart

Pros: Very comfortable with a mellow, involving sound that harmonises brilliantly with live recordings.

Cons: Paint chips off headband with regular use

There's plenty of debate around here as to what makes a headphone "high end". Putting price aside for a moment, I have no doubt that the HD650 marks the beginning of the high-end range. I've auditioned many headphones over the past few years and while many sound different only the electrostats such as the HE60 truly sound superior in every way to the 650s.   In terms of sound the HD650 is what I would call a "natural" headphone. Very rarely do I get the feeling that any part of the spectrum is being over-emphasised and the result is an intimate presentation with good (if not exceptional) soundstage - perfect for live performances. Some would criticise the 650s for their rolled-off...
EddieE

Natural Sounding And Laid Back Great All Rounders

Pros: Work well with pretty much every genre; extremely relaxing; superb bass; look great

Cons: A little bit of a tight clamp

I've owned these headphones for around a year now, when I first bought them they were a quantum leap forward in my headphone listening life. It felt like a big spend as I had to buy a desktop amp and a dac at the same time and it took a pay rise at the point where I was questioning the wisdom of it all to finally pull the trigger. I never looked back.   It is funny that the cost seemed so extreme to me now; once you delve into the audio enthusiasts world and see the prices some other headphones go for you realise that the HD650 is in fact a serious bargain, especially since many people (myself included) think it is a far better phone than many of those higher priced...
The Monkey

Still Among the Best

Pros: Great bass, scales well

Cons: 3-blob soundstage

A pair of headphones I wish I kept.  Great bass, excellent highs with the right equipment.  Scales with the best of equipment.  Everyone should own a pair at least once.
homeros8000

A Review For Classical Music Listeners

Pros: Tonality, Easier to match with other equipments, smooth sounding, beautiful mids

Cons: For some recordings and with some equipment it can sound bass heavy or too dark, narrow soundstage, colored treble

My reference for reviewing the HD 650 is the AKG K701. I've used the HD650 with various amps and sources including the Nuforce HDP, Headroom Ultra Micro Amp (now discontinued), the Beta 22 (2 channels), Musical Fidelity M1 and the ALO Rex MKII. Sources included Marantz CD5003, Ultra Micro DAC (discontinued), Ultra Desktop DAC (discontinued) Nuforce HDP and Centrance DACPort LX.   I think many reviewers have already talked a great deal about the characteristics of the HD650. Most of them have better experience and probably are more capable of discerning the pros and  cons. I only wanted to add a few points regarding classical music listening.   Some listeners shy away...
BBBS

Amazing

Pros: Like having a pair of tiny Albert Halls for each side of your head

Cons: You will spend a fortune trying to get a small improvement

These are simply the de facto best headphones at this price. They have a dark, slow sound that's suited to strings, guitar and vocals, and their matched drivers mean that centre-stage vocals will actually come from between your ears.   These don't so much break in, rather you get used to their reproduction. I can't recommend these enough, and everybody should spend some time with these, whether they take to them immediately or not.
IPoopFrootLoops

You can't go wrong with this timeless classic

Pros: Smooth, sweet, loving sound. Comfortable.

Cons: Nothing to me

I am by no means experienced in this field. I am a poor 18 year old who spent a lot of time dishwashing in order to support his unreasonable obsession with great sound.  When searching for my perfect headphone, I narrowed down my choices to two headphones: The Sennheiser HD650 and the HifiMan He-400. I originally picked up the HifiMan He-400s and spent a month with them before parting. They sounded great and were built like a tank, but I knew that the ortho sound wasn't for me. The sound was too fatiguing, and this was exaggerated by the poor comfort that they provided.  My next step, obviously, was to pick up the Sennheisers. As soon as i put them on my head, i knew...
muxamed

My precious

Pros: Great smooth, lush beautiful sound, very balanced and relaxing. Quite detailed. Dark. Very comfortable

Cons: Build quality

I love my HD650 for rock, jazz and weightier orchestral pieces. The sound is very detailed but somehow dark (which is good with some recordings). This headphone never sounds obtrusive or hard. It is very comfortable. I have it as a companion to another great headphone, AKG k701, and they work great with their parts of my record collection.
born2bwild

Great sound at a great value

Pros: Mids, Sennheiser sound signature, comfort

Cons: Design, hard to drive

I bought these headphones on December 2011 and have since been thoroughly using them. I am absolutely happy with my purchase and here is why: Pros: - Great sound, albeit a bit on the darker side (amazingly natural mids, and poignant lows with controlled highs) - Requires at least a 100 hours of burn-in (200 hours recommended if you want to hear the true sound); so it keeps getting better - Amazing bargain at $300, as the sound quality is truly unbelievable - Extremely comfortable to wear for long hours - Fares excellent in general use Cons: - Requires a powerful amp to reach its full potential - Build quality and design are average
ObscureMethods

Lucious

Pros: Mids, Comfort, Soundstage

Cons: Sound leakage, Fragility

These cans are exquisite. I can literally fall asleep with these on. This fact is cheifly assoiated with their velour ear pads. And in regards to sound, their sound quality is immearsive. No singular element of their sound is deprived. I can state that they're immaculately endowed with mid-range presence. Bottom line is. if you can afford the admittance fee these will grant you auditory bliss.
cjpearson

Hd650 - losing my headphone virginity

Pros: Comfortable, well made, the sound! semi-affordable, attractive, great packaging

Cons: None

I was lucky to find my pair for sale at the price I paid (so my saying this is a bargain is based upon the relatively low amount I had to part with.) Firstly, i'm not, by any means - an audiophile (yet.) Although I love music, love to put my headphones on my head and relax, I am still coming to terms with all of the lingo and what not.   To the headphones. I've never owned an audiophile paid of full-sized headphones before. The closest I came was the 515s then the 595s. Both were okay, but lacked any real character. When I stumbled upon this site, I couldn't hold back any longer. I sold my other cans and invested in a pair of 650s and a Little Dot MK III Amp.    I quickly had a...