Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones › Reviews › FlyinPigFetus's Review

Great Christmas Present

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

FlyinPigFetus

Pros: Comfort, Build Quality, Detail

Cons: Open back lets in noise, after hearing them with an amp. you'll have to drop another $300+

Just got a pair of these for Christmas and have to say that I was very impressed with the box they came in, very solid packaging, and neatly organized cord. There is a 3.5mm adapter included in the box, something I was not used to coming from a pair of Grado SR225i cans.

The build quality is very good, I don't feel like I will scratch or dent them without a decently high tumble. The cord is detachable and feels like it will not likely give out anytime soon.

As for comfort, I never really found my old Grados that uncomfortable (I know you guys/gals on Head-fi and reviews on Amazon always talk about Grados being uncomfortable) but now I can hardly wear them after having used the HD 650s. It is a very comfortable fit once you get them adjusted nicely to your head.

As for sound quality, I play everything in FLAC or MP3 @ 320kps using Foobar2000 with the kernel streaming plugin.

Due to the fact I don't have my Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Edition in yet, I have been trying to use the 3.5mm jack from my laptop to listen to music. The HD 650s don't sound very special through that source at all, they are very boring when plugged up to my android phone as well. I almost picked up my Grados again just until my amp came in, but I just like the feel of the HD 650s so much more.

I eventually used HDMI out from my laptop to my harman/kardon AV receiver along with Foobar2000 w/ WASAPI (manually selecting the receiver in the output list) and plugging my headphones into it as a source. This made the headphones sound much more worth their money and really blew me away.

Music I tested included Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Daft Punk, OutKast, The Chemical Brothers, Kanye West, and Fleetwood Mac. I heard details in Time by Pink Floyd I have never noticed before.

I am very excited to get my Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus Edition in. My library is waiting for me to listen to everything over again.

If anyone wishes me to report in how the D1 sounds as a source for these cans let me know in the comments.

I for one would love to hear how they sound with the D1+
Still waiting on it to arrive, will update the review when it does get here.
D1+ Arrived today. After 2 hours of listening time I'm very pleased with the purchase and sound of the D1+
I've tested Foobar2000 + WASAPI through usb and it sounded fantastic.
Very good detail in the lows, mids, and highs.
My friend had mentioned a "darker" sound from the Sennheisers which I didn't really notice without an amp but I can slightly hear what he is talking about now.
The "darker" sound is in no way bad, I love my setup now and don't see myself upgrade for a long time.
I also tested Direct Sound and some videos on youtube to see how lower bitrates sounded on these.
Everything holds up nicely!
Loving these headphones!
That's the exact combo I'm considering upgrading to (and from the 225i no less, we must be twins!). How do you compare the 650 to the 225i in terms of bass presence and overall clarity. Do they ever sound congested at all in busy tracks? I'd love to hear your thoughts, really considering pulling the trigger.
The bass of the HD 650 is very accurate and never too punchy. It never gives you that "thud" feeling that Beats or anything else with an exaggerated bass do. The overall clarity is greater than 225i as well as the 325i (my friend brought his pair over to test out my amp). The 225i do have a "brighter" sound than the HD 650 that I could see some people missing. The amount of detail the HD 650s have to offer make them by far the greatest headphone I've used.
So I picked up my 225i to listen to a rap album (good kid, m.A.A.d city) I just got.
I selected the song "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" to see how the difference in bass was between the HD 650 and 225i.
The bass was the least of my worries.
The sound stage was non-existent on the 225i, the background vocals were fainter and less interesting.
HD 650s are well worth the upgrade, holy hell, I don't remember my 225i ever sounding so bad, but I guess I've spoiled my ears.
I'm sure I'd feel the same way about the HD 650s if I heard a pair of LCD-2 or HD800s.