Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 600 › Reviews › Eisenhower's Review

The gold standard

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 600

Sennheiser HD 600

Eisenhower

Pros: Fantastic sounding, great comfort, easy to amp

Cons: Can rip hair out, looks weird, stock cord is weak

These were the best audiophile purchase I have made. I've used them nearly everyday for 5 years, and I have little desire to purchase another set of open over-ear cans.

The sound signature is neutral. Some have criticized the treble for being rolled off. While the treble lacks a certain energy (stemming from a lower quantity) one might find on Grados, I find that it still replicates high frequency instruments very well, and that the "laid back" nature makes listening non-fatiguing. They also have a great airy sound to them, which makes them sound more like speakers (which is a good thing).

The bass response is perfect, not too little, not too much. They can "slam" as much as the music allows. Using a decent amp helps in this area. In my experience, I can not tell the difference between my cmoy, Aria Headfive, EMU 0404 usb headphone out, and from my Onkyo receiver headphone out. These are all considered to have/be good headphone amps. You don't need anything super expensive.

The mids are very rich and full. It's got just the perfect amount of warmth in the mids.

Comfort:

The padding is velour, and is extremely comfortable.

I have longish hair, and sometimes the headband pulls  on or rips out my hair. Once you know how it happens, it's not hard to avoid.

Conclusion:

I just don't see how anyone could be disappointed with these. They just do so many things right. They also aren't that expensive nowadays.

Comments: