Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 598 › Sennheiser HD 598 Reviews

Sennheiser HD 598 Reviews

mwhouston

Very good sounding at an affordable price

Pros: Smart looking and looks very durable

Cons: The white may look dirty over time if not taken care of

While having a listening session with a friend on my newly made valve headphone amp we swapped phones. I was using the Audio-technica ATH700 Air and my friend The Sennheiser HD598s. My tube amp can drive two HPs at the same time with both being close to each other in impedance and efficiency. For the extra $100 over the cost of the AT I would say the Sennheiser are good value. They were not as bassy but good bass extension and mids and treble was airier and cleaner. By no means are the AT a slouch and for $160 they are really excellent value. But if you want something better and happy to pay around $100 more I would suggest the Sennheisers.
noblemff

Great natural spacious sound

Pros: Spacious, Transparent, Balanced, Very Comfortable

Cons: Too neutral?

Spacious: Absolutely love the spacial sound and madly in love. Big soundstage that would make your other headphones in this price range sound awful. Although it is having a wide soundstage the dimensions are not sharply defined meaning that it could sound a tiny bit confusing at times.   Transparent: The sound detail is great with good separation. Balanced sound that makes listening to orchestral music a bliss.   Comfort: Even if you wear it for continuous hours it doesn't hurt, you start to wonder am I really wearing this?   Too neutral?? Sound well across all frequencies but laid of in higher highs and lower lows. Not for everyone who loves to hear fast or...
DannyRox23

OH MY! WHAT A SHOCKER!

Pros: Good pair, for the price, and sounds more than a $200 pair of headphones.

Cons: Exaggerated mids and artificial soundstage.

Review coming soon ...
deaglecat

Sweet ... but not for every one.

Pros: Awesome mid range.

Cons: Bass is clear but will not shake you

These are so easy to listen to for a long time.   Comfortable, not harsh.   Superb mids.   I can hear things on these headphones that I never could on my Sony MDRs.     They need amping though (and playing loud) ..or they are a bit too mild mannered.
davisman

Great introduction to HiFi

Pros: Comfort, good all rounder. Easy to drive, not picky about source or amplification.

Cons: Some will prefer a more subdued design

Intro   This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great entry into personal HIFI. They are not picky about amplification, and will not over analyze bad recordings.    Setup   For two years I ran the HD598 from my Asus xonar essence stx sound card. They are a decent enough match, you could do better or worse. I have also tried these on my recently acquired Schiit stack (Bifrost, Asgard 2).     Sound Note: I don't have the poetic vocabulary to do a proper analysis of the headphones, but I can give you a...
dz1000

Sound as boring as they look.

Pros: Comfortable to wear, help you relax.

Cons: Makes your music sound dull and boring.

Had these and couldn't wait to get rid of them. I agree with What Hi-Fi? who gave these 3 stars out of 5 and said they were dull and boring. These headphones do manage to suck the life out of any music. If you want something to help you relax then these are the right cans for you, but you will get bored and you won't feel much from listening to vocals and music, which for me is like missing the point of music. I now have Creative Aurvana Live! headphones which are so much better than these. Much more exciting. Much more interesting to listen to. I honestly believe people who rate the HD598 highly don't have another decent set of energetic sounding headphones to compare them with. Once...
toronto8

great sounding headphones

Pros: Solid soundstage,robust bass,very detailed,silky signature.

Cons: Highs are rolled off,standard cable is a bit flimsy.

What more can you say about a pair of headphones that cost less than $200.Its truly a wonderful pair of headphones that can play all spectrum  of music and fits comfortably and non fatiguing.Soundstaging is the strong point for sure,deep,wide and high,voices and string artist is so spot on with the proper source and hell plugged right into iPod still sounds great.I own a pair of HD 600 also and some aspects the 598 are even better in the mids than the 600's.Overall if the highs wasn't a bit rolled and bright these headphones get a 5/5 considering the price.
wrightanswer@ear

Like camouflage.

Pros: Smooths my older, rougher recordings.

Cons: Makes all my music sound like it's been recorded in the same venue, on the same day.

For relaxing with a nice glass of wine while reading a good book, the wash of music from the HD598 is very soothing. Sadly, its mid bass bloom makes my delicate lute music sound like guitars. In fact, everything seems to have the same over-weighty mid-tone about it, however it was recorded. Deep and full, politely sweet but never exciting. It's as if my CDs are camouflaged in a Sennheiser soundscape, with a feeling that there was a Sennheiser engineer present at every recording session, insisting on the exact same feel, no matter whether the music was classical, rock or jazz.
rew850

Decent Price Glory

Pros: Good Sound, Price, Look, Comfortability,

Cons: Not too much bass

This headphone is really good for its price and is comfortable and looking good. The sound is clear but need more bass, this is not a bad thing for everybody but on certain songs you can ear that the bass is not powerful. Overall the headphone is pretty great for audiophile starters, an amp will not be needed that much.