Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD-598 › Sennheiser HD-598 Reviews

Sennheiser HD-598 Reviews

deaglecat

Sweet ... but not for every one.

Pros: Awesome mid range.

Cons: Bass is clear but will not shake you

These are so easy to listen to for a long time.   Comfortable, not harsh.   Superb mids.   I can hear things on these headphones that I never could on my Sony MDRs.     They need amping though (and playing loud) ..or they are a bit too mild mannered.
davisman

Great introduction to HiFi

Pros: Comfort, good all rounder. Easy to drive, not picky about source or amplification.

Cons: Some will prefer a more subdued design

Intro   This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great entry into personal HIFI. They are not picky about amplification, and will not over analyze bad recordings.    Setup   For two years I ran the HD598 from my Asus xonar essence stx sound card. They are a decent enough match, you could do better or worse. I have also tried these on my recently acquired Schiit stack (Bifrost, Asgard 2).     Sound Note: I don't have the poetic vocabulary to do a proper analysis of the headphones, but I can give you a...
dz1000

Sound as boring as they look.

Pros: Comfortable to wear, help you relax.

Cons: Makes your music sound dull and boring.

Had these and couldn't wait to get rid of them. I agree with What Hi-Fi? who gave these 3 stars out of 5 and said they were dull and boring. These headphones do manage to suck the life out of any music. If you want something to help you relax then these are the right cans for you, but you will get bored and you won't feel much from listening to vocals and music, which for me is like missing the point of music. I now have Creative Aurvana Live! headphones which are so much better than these. Much more exciting. Much more interesting to listen to. I honestly believe people who rate the HD598 highly don't have another decent set of energetic sounding headphones to compare them with. Once...
joe50000

The Sennheiser 598 has carved out an entirely new niche in the audiophile world: value-fi.

Pros: Amazing performance for the price, easy as pie to drive, can scale extremely well, forgiving presentation

Cons: Polarizing appearance, needs an aftermarket adapter for 1/8" jack

The Sennheiser 598 is the new the ruler of the sub-$300 roost.    If you're looking for a headphone with an expansive sound stage that is at once both intimate and expansive...   If you can't shell out for a Hi-Fi set of cans like the HD600/650 and the necessary amp to drive them well....   If you're looking for a versatile headphone that bring music to life but doesn't punish your ears with poor source material...   If you're looking for a headphone that you can comfortably wear all day long....   If you're like me, and use your computer as your primary entertainment center for music, movies, and games...   Then the Sennheiser 598s are...
toronto8

great sounding headphones

Pros: Solid soundstage,robust bass,very detailed,silky signature.

Cons: Highs are rolled off,standard cable is a bit flimsy.

What more can you say about a pair of headphones that cost less than $200.Its truly a wonderful pair of headphones that can play all spectrum  of music and fits comfortably and non fatiguing.Soundstaging is the strong point for sure,deep,wide and high,voices and string artist is so spot on with the proper source and hell plugged right into iPod still sounds great.I own a pair of HD 600 also and some aspects the 598 are even better in the mids than the 600's.Overall if the highs wasn't a bit rolled and bright these headphones get a 5/5 considering the price.
Chiek

Rich and exuberant, great with classical music and christian rock

Pros: So well balanced. No overpowering bass. So real and so natural is the sound. Pads are so comfortable. Stylish look

Cons: None I can think of.

I am a headphones aficionado and I enjoy collecting good headphones Just got this pair of incredible headphones today after biking for more than 10 km. Was going to buy another make but when I set my eyes on this one and it's the only one in the store, I seized it because I read such good reviews it has. I put them on immediately and rode home on my bike. It was probably the most enjoyable 10km bike ride I ever had with John Mayer crooning away while I push those pedals.   I am enjoying Beethoven sonatas just as I am writing this now. Music is so rich and exuberant that it is giving me immense enjoyment and happiness.
wrightanswer@ear

Like camouflage.

Pros: Smooths my older, rougher recordings.

Cons: Makes all my music sound like it's been recorded in the same venue, on the same day.

For relaxing with a nice glass of wine while reading a good book, the wash of music from the HD598 is very soothing. Sadly, its mid bass bloom makes my delicate lute music sound like guitars. In fact, everything seems to have the same over-weighty mid-tone about it, however it was recorded. Deep and full, politely sweet but never exciting. It's as if my CDs are camouflaged in a Sennheiser soundscape, with a feeling that there was a Sennheiser engineer present at every recording session, insisting on the exact same feel, no matter whether the music was classical, rock or jazz.
rew850

Decent Price Glory

Pros: Good Sound, Price, Look, Comfortability,

Cons: Not too much bass

This headphone is really good for its price and is comfortable and looking good. The sound is clear but need more bass, this is not a bad thing for everybody but on certain songs you can ear that the bass is not powerful. Overall the headphone is pretty great for audiophile starters, an amp will not be needed that much.
norilink

my first hi fi headphone

Pros: very nice sound and comfortable

Cons: lack of bass details

i love it this pair it is good for music and games recommended for beginners