Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 598 › Reviews › zanox's Review

The smooth and musical HD 598

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 598

Sennheiser HD 598

Posted · Updated · 172289 Views · 6 Comments

Pros: Airy soundstage, sparkly yet smooth treble, slightly lush mids, mid bass, comfort, great looking, serious bang for the buck.

Cons: Mild upper mids coloration preventing them from sounding totally natural.

They sound artificial compared to Senn HD650 tho. I had them both for a while and as I listened to the HD 650 exclusively for like a week, I switched back to compare, and they sounded artificial/thin/lifeless in direct comparison. When you take them by themselves they are really good, but in no way do they compare to the higher end imo.
Natural bass? You should try other higher headphones to realize what the natural basses are. However, the HD598s are really good start headphones for anyone going to the Audiophile world.
I am sorry for what I wrote. You were right but I do not know why the hype of HD598 is too high on many websites included head-fi.org? I had a HD598 before and find out that most of my musics were boring or sleepy on HD598. The HD598 could be the smoothest headphone of Sennheiser's headphones ever created.
In my experience, the HD 598 aren't slow.
I have a pair of Grado's SR325is which is known for being very ''fast'', and i don't find it slow in comparison.
In Folk music, for example, you can hear all the instruments perfectly positioned, without any congestion (the same with Classical Music).
In Metal, it sounds basically the same compared with SR325is in speed (excluding frequency response variation, for example: more present mid-bass and sub-bass on SR325is that give you the 'feeling' of more speed in comparison with 598), but NEVER more 'fast' than 598, and that is coming from a very 'fast' pair of headphones for most people here.
IMO, the HD 598 are NOT slow. For me, it's just placebo or a random reason to despise them.
And yeah, if you haven't the HE-90 combo you are a loser here, basically. Some people are just so exaggerated in this 'hobby', and basically tell you a NOOB if you don't have the best setup out here, pff.
@LoveKnight - It's okay . happens.