Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD-558 › Reviews › bala's Review

The best value in the Sennheiser HD series!

A Review On: Sennheiser HD-558

Sennheiser HD-558

bala
Posted · 37294 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: sound, comfort, looks and value for money!

Cons: slightly pricey!

This is brief version of my review on my personal blog.The highs were initially a bit shiny for my tastes but with time they did settle down. In general the highs are crisp and clean (probably my Cambridge DAC Magic rubbed off some of its upper end shine).The mids are lovely and smooth, right there along with both highs and lows. If you enjoy jazz and vocals you’ll appreciate the tone of the mids greatly. It definitely stands up in comparison to my previous Sennheiser HD448 (and it should considering the price difference, and it definitely would be the recommended upgrade from the 448s). Bass is in sufficient quantity for non-bass heads, though it does get slightly boomy when extending further down, all-in-all quite good for the price and I did notice slight betterment with burn-in (I recommend atleast 50 hrs of burn-in). I have been recently listening to a HiFiman HE500 and a Sennheiser HD650, so its very much likely that I have been “spoiled” with regard to the quality of bass that I expect ;-) . That said, I would definitely rate the treble performance of the 558’s higher than its bass.The HD558 retains most of the laid-back style house sound of Sennheiser which goes very well with a lot of listeners but if you are a serious rock and electronica nut these may not provide that pace or “zing” that adds a great feeling to such tracks. Though I cannot exactly pin down the flavor in the HD558, I see it as a more “popular” deviation from the previous HD6xx line. The HD558 is not as laid back as the previous generation of Senns, and I don’t see that as a disadvantage – it probably reflects the fact that Sennheiser is updating it’s house style with a bit of popular music listening styles. Overall the HD558 can be described as a very pleasant and slightly colored listening experience.

I am not completely satisfied with the pricing and would urge prospective buyers to look for a good offer on pricing! Currently there seem to be little in the way of a direct competition to HD558 but that may soon change!

1 Comment:

These are better than the audio technica ad 700 (overrated and faulty headphone)