Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Sennheiser HD 555 Headphones › Sennheiser HD 555 Headphones Reviews

Sennheiser HD 555 Headphones Reviews

Mescalamba

Quite good all-around headphones

Pros: cheap, comfortable for 24/7, decent audio quality

Cons: from reviews I read, audio quality could be better

I will not write some looong review. Just things I noticed with my HD 555.   They need pretty long burn-in. But its worth it. You need decent audio source to get some quality from them. Headphone amp is not mandatory, but definetly helps. If you want, you can use iPod with them, it sounds pretty good, but it will eat your battery pretty fast. They are also suitable for using with PC. Which means they are fine with soundcards like ASUS Xonar STX or Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 and Bravura 7.1.   Audio characteristic is kinda suprising, cause they are very neutral (at least to my ears). I had HD 650, which are far from being neutral (but they are fun) and AKG 701, which has those nice...
Tequilasunriser

Budget kings

Pros: Excellent sound for the price.

Cons: Bass is slightly lacking but is present.

I happened to get these cans for $55 at that price I'd say they're well worth it. I preformed the foam mod about 10 minutes ago and, yes, I certainly noticed a difference. They've opened up a bit. My $55 purchase just became a greater value.   This is my first pair of audiophile headphones, and, unfortunately for my bank account, not the last.   put simply, if you're on a budget and need some good cans at a good price, these will be your huckleberry.
hbeevers

Good Price for an intro to better sound

Pros: Sennheisser are consistently good, well priced and perform well.

Cons: Could be better, cheaper and poor stock cable.

Not much to say in this review. These are a great set of headphones for the price, they sound good straight out the box but great after being burnt in. The 'foam mod' makes these better again, essentially turns them into a pair of HD 595's which is great for the money. Good treble and mids but the bass can be a little muddy and drown out certain aspects of the music, one cause of this is probably my xonar sound card.
jschristian44

First Audiophile Headphones

Pros: Sound clarity, realism, price, entry-level

Cons: Price

This is my first review here, so I thought it'd be on my first pair of Audiophile headphones.  After getting these things, I almost immediately found this forum and did the foam mod.  It sounded better, and that's when I got hooked.  I then adventured and did the soundstage mod and it made these sound even better.  At 6 months usage, these headphones are very nice for the price.  I can't imagine what higher priced phones must sound like, but I don't want to know so I am stopping with these phones.  They are more than enough clarity for my games, music, movies on my computer.  I am thinking about adding a small amp but I am unsure yet, doing more research first.
alexxfloo

Sennheiser HD 555 Headphones

Pros: comfortable, nice 3d positionining in 3-d shooters

Cons: sound

My ratings says them all. You can easily find much better hps than this one but for a lot more money. The sound is decent but lacks bass and clarity and the highs are pretty non existent. The level of detail is pretty bad. They probably sound better on a decent amp ( i have only a xonar Dx now). The best thing on this hp is the comfort and this is a big plus for me as i wear them 8-9 hours a day minimum. I skype a lot and play. Maybe i am to harsh to them but i really want more from my music.
JoshKe

Excellent pair of headphones

Pros: Extremely comfortable, sounds excellent unamped, great reproduction

Cons: [none]

I really like this pair of headphones. I bought them as my first "good" pair of headphones and now I'm addicted. I cannot go back to muddled base and blown out highs. If you're looking for a solid introduction to excellent headphones I don't think you can go wrong with these.
Vergex2

Ah, my current favorite. Delightful little things..

Pros: Love them over my HE-5/EF-5, supremely comfortable, nigh indestructible, not great, but solid sound quality for the price (when foam modded)

Cons: Other headphones around the same price probably perform better (depending on your uses) with better SQ, isolation, improve more when amped etc.

I personally wouldn't buy these again now (that I know more about audio) than $75 new. However, these are my first headphones, and I have some sentimental attachments to them. I actually prefer these to my HE-5/EF-5 currently, though unfortunately it is down and I can't do a perfect A/B comparison for now. I wouldn't recommend anyone to get these now, but these were the first phones I toted to school and convinced three of my friends to purchase decent audio. All of them have gotten Senns (two of them with the HD555s - one used, the other I will sell mine to, the other with a very similar PC 350, which is probably not any better, unfortunately). I do hope that they will also eventually...