Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones › Reviews › Eisenhower's Review

Awful

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones

Eisenhower

Pros: Isolation

Cons: Terrible sound, uncomfortable, large

These have a very thin and dull sound. There is a noticeable lack of low mids / bass, which leave the headphones sounding very cold. There is no sound stage to speak of. I just can't find any redeeming qualities in the sound department. My cheap Senn IEMs sound much fuller than these.

They do isolate extremely well, at the expense of strong head clamping and ear warmth.

Stay away from these. Frankly I'm astonished that these have 4 stars (as of this review) on a site dedicated to headphones. I suspect people want to believe their $80 were well spent.

Nice review. I keep seeing these recommended to beginners, but 80$ is alot for those who are new to headphones, and I would not like to pay that much just to get good build quality or isolation, they should sound good too..!
They are designed for DJ-use, but wtf are they if there even lacking bass?
The HD280 pro is a studio monitor headphone. It is supposed to sound neutral. It is lacking in bass and midrange detail, which are issues that are solved with the HD380 pro. The HD280 pro has great isolation due to its great clamping force. Some people will live with the discomfort for the extra isolation. The Sony V6 is in the same league as the HD280 pro. The V6 is more comfortable, however it has less isolation. Good soundstage is why people buy open circumaural headphones.
I guess you really want something in the league of the HD380 pro or Beyerdynamic DT770 if you must use a closed headphone, however you won't find anything like that for under $100. If you can use an open headphone, the Sennheiser HD598 might give you the soundstage you want.

Great review. I agree 100%.
The only use I can find for mine is possibly monitoring when I'm editing my site's podcasts. Outside of that, I'm not touching them. I deluded myself into thinking they sounded good with my music for a while but eventually, I realized. Having heard some actually good cans, I've since abandoned my 280s. They sound so dull and so lifeless with music next to my better headphones and IEMs.
"My cheap Senn IEMs sound much fuller than these." seems to be showing up a lot
Maybe you should have stuck with them in the first place :[
Tefloon, you apparently don't understand the merits of comparing headphones to cheaper ones that sound better. You might be surprised to know that more than one headphone on the market are thin sounding. I know, weird, right??
And I've done it twice... is that "a lot"?
As I said on the other one, there is zero point to writing and Angry and Entitled review because you don't like the sound sig. It only serves to annoy.
Tefloon, What you are saying is ridiculous. So people shouldn't be allowed to discuss sound signatures in audio reviews... yeah okay.
I believe I am entitled because I paid for them...
You're entitled to exactly what you paid for and nothing more.
When I say there's no point to writing a review of the sound signature, I don't mean you can't talk about the sound -- what I mean is that "These headphones have [insert anayltical characteristics here], therefore they suck and I am angry" is a very pointless review. Talking about what they do bad compared to other headphones with a similar sound sig would be far more helpful.
Tefloon, Nowhere did I say these suck because they are "analytical" sounding. Analytical isn't even a pejorative.
If what I said was "pointless", than 99% of audio reviews must be pointless as well. I described the sound signature: "there is a noticeable lack of low mids / bass" and the negative effects on the sound: "which leave the headphones sounding very cold".
I don't know why I bother responding, you are obviously a very ignorant and defensive person with poor reading comprehension.
I get it. It is just your opinion, but don't go and tell everyone to stay away from these. I have the following headphones:
Sennheiser HD595, Sennheiser HD650, Ultrasone HFI 680, Sennheiser HD280 PRO.
The other cans sound ok with badly mastered music. The Sennheiser HD280 PRO sounds amazing with music mastered with a wide dynamic range. On the other cans it just sounds ok and sometimes boring.
If I had a choice of only one headphone I would keep the HD280s and sell the rest.