Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 219 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 219 Headphones

Rated #238 in Over-Ear

Sponsored

Get the latest news and updates at the Sennheiser sponsor page.

Pros: Affordable! , Comfortable, Easily Stored, Sufficient Build

Cons: Sound a bit unclear, build is decent but not stellar.

I'm just a junior head-fi'er, but I do love my music.

~~~Summary for the hasty?~~~

They are decent $50 headphones, but they are barely decent. The only area that they excel in is portability. Everything else is just sufficient for the price you pay. My recommendation? Buy them on sale. I know looks are subjective but they seem pretty stylish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Build:

Sufficient. I admit, one year of use is not very long, but they show no sign of damage. Keep in mind, I have no case for these, and I just stuff them in my backpack. it is reasonable to assume the plastic will crack eventually. Hopefully only after a year or two of more use. The reason I say the headband may crack is that the plastic is very light, and definitely not the best Sennheiser has to offer. Even higher end (50 - 100 USD) Senn's are known to have headband cracks. I would not bet that these stand the test of time if handled roughly.

The headphone cord is pretty thin as well. Try to be nice to the cord; it is not excessively thin, but it probably won't take much of a beating.

Comfort:

Stellar. As they are so light, you can barely notice them on your head.

Portability:

This is important, as it is really the only reason to shell out money on these things. The earpads fold inwards so they are more flat when folded. They are very easy to store, and if you decrease the size, as in readjust the headband length, before you store them, it is really easy to just wrap the cord around the earpads. The wire has not tangled severely thus far. I usually just have a knot to untie on occasion. These are easily stuffed into most carrying cases, there is no need to buy a pouch for these unless you really want these to last you many years.

Fairly unclear, but for a 50 USD headphone I am pretty impressed. Compared to the best $100 dollar pair of headphones...these leave much to be desired. Compared to mediocre $100 dollar headphones, on the other hand, these sound pretty close.

I listen to classical music on these headphones, usually harpsichord, choir, and orchestra. The treble range is emphasized, and it is overall clear. The trebles are pretty loud though, and the push out the mids in my opinion. The mids and lows are also clear, but less so. The lows sound a bit messy, and may be the worst part of this headphone. Honestly, it did not stop me from enjoying music for the double-bass, but it is not the high point of these headphones.

These also feature passive noise cancelling, so on a crowded bus you will still hear your music pretty well.

My perspective: These were basically my first pair of headphones.(Before these, the only audio quality I knew was that of the apple earbuds.) I knew nothing about how to buy headphones, yet I am still impressed with these. I'd recommend buying them on sale. These do compare to the Sennheiser HD 280s, and they are not good products in my humble opinion. Since these compare to headphones that sell for closer to $100 dollars, I'd say they have good value.

Pros: Treble, Comfort, Sound, Style

Cons: Non-Detachable Cable, Lack of Bass

Introduction: Now, before i start the actual evaluation of the sound, these were literally my first pair of headphones... And the ones that started my obsession with the whole collecting headphones thing.

Build Quality: For a $50 headphone, you can't really complain about the build quality. They are basically all plastic, and the cable is not detachable. For a low cost headphone, i really think these reflected the price in terms of build quality.

Comfort: For being a sealed, on ear headphone, the comfort is really good, for me anyway. Sennheiser chose the cheapest and most lightweight plastic imaginable, in my opinion. When you put them on your head, you feel nothing... Literally! They are virtually weightless.

Bass: These headphones do not have a whole lot of bass, but for 50 dollars, i cannot complain. Just because they are light on the bass doesn't make them a bad headphone.

Mids/Vocals: Controlled. They definitely ring out and are more prominent than the bass, obviously. I was able to hear the singers voice a bit better than on some other headphones.

Treble: These headphone have a treble-dominant sound to them, meaning the treble is the star of the show. It gives an emphasis on rock and metal music, which i like because that is pretty much all i listen to nowadays. It is not harsh, or fatiguing in the sense that they are never tiring to listen to. The energetic treble and vocals make everything sound lively and quite dynamic.

Conclusion: For 50 bucks, these are great in my opinion for people who are on a budget. Sennheiser and other companies make headphones that are incredibly better than these, but you would have to spend more money to actually get them.

Pros: Light Weight, comfortable, small, great sound

Cons: Finicky positioning, feels fragile

(I have only just bought these headphones, so I will come back after sufficient burn in time and make a statement then as well.)

Pros:

First off, these headphones are EXTREMELY light. They don't weigh a thing on your head, don't clamp hard at all, and are just generally very comfortable. They sit well on your head and adjust in several different ways to fit heads of almost any size. I have worn these headphones for HOURS and only barely notice them! The sound these guys produce is also phenomenal, especially the mids and the highs. they are clear and airy, and the pads dull a sufficient amount of outside noise.

Cons:

These headphones feel VERY weak and fragile, as coming with their lightweight portability. You really feel like you might break them at times when lugging them around. Though the plastic feels high quality, there is definitely not much of it. Another big issue I had was the positioning on the ears. After time, they tend to (at least for me) slide towards the front of your ears. When this happens, the holes on the pads become misaligned with your ears, causing the bass to disappear and make the sound very tinny. When they sit on your head probably, however, the bass is all well and good. The bass on these headphones isn't non-existent, but it is a bit weak. However, for the price, they are way better than anything else I have heard, especially for cans that go mobile a lot.

I bought mine on sale from Best Buy for around $30, however, they typically are around 45-65, with something around the middle being most common. I suggest, if you need a pair of headphones to be portable, these will definitely do the job; and at that they will do it well!

I recommend them!

Sennheiser HD 219 Headphones

General Description The HD 219 was designed as an alternative to larger headphones and earbuds. This mid-sized portable has plush, noise dampening padding and dynamic, bass enhanced acoustics. The 4 foot cable is the ideal length for use with pocketed media devices including smartphones, netbooks and tablets with audio outputs. Built-tough for versatile use, the HD 219 comes with Sennheiser's superlative 2-year warranty. Features Closed design dampens ambient noise Dynamic, Percussive bass delivers full-range acoustics with excitement Earcups fold flat for compact storage Powerful bass-response from neodymium magnets Low-impedance transducer system is optimized for use with smartphones, tablets, MP3 players, smartphones, and netbooks Contents 1 HD 219 Specifications Frequency response (headphones) 19 - 21000 Hz Impedance 32 Ohms Sound pressure level (SPL) 108 dB THD, total harmonic distortion <0.5% (1kHz/100dB) Ear coupling On Ear, Supraaural Transducer principle (Headphones) dynamic, closed Cable length 4 ft, Single Sided Weight incl. cable 8 oz

ManufacturerSennheiser