Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones › Reviews › BenYC's Review

Can be a great or bad headphone

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones

BenYC

Pros: Sound amazing when driven by a decent amp.

Cons: Who will drive a $30 headphone with a decent amp?

I really cannot understand what market is this headphone targeted for.  For all I know, this headphone needs power.

If I plug this headphone to a normal portable player (no head amp), it can sound bass-less and dead because of inadequate power.

However, if I plug it to a decend head amp/integrated with enough driving, this headphone can be very pleasing, especially for a closed can.

I have a feeling that this headphone can be better received by the market (at least being treated more seriously) if the price is a few times more.

Better starter headphones than beats :P
but they have higher end closed back like the 449?
I agree with your conclusions....with an additional amp in the picture, they just sound wimpy and lifeless from a common DAP.
I like low priced cans that sound better with an amp.
It means that I can recommend them to friends of mine who may be interested in upgrading in the future, and not get yelled at when they say their next headphones can't play out of their ipod.