Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones › Reviews › EddieE's Review

Good for the price, but you get what you pay for

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones

EddieE

Pros: Cheap, comfortable enough, treble is quite accurate, separation actually pretty good

Cons: Everything else. No bass, metallic artificial sounding, un-salvagable by modding

It's funny to remember that when I bought these I thought they were good headphones, at the time all I had was CX300 and the fact that they weren't muffled, had good separation and had nice crisp highs that bought out drums nicely seemed enough to win me over. They aren't uncomfortable either. Let's face it for the price you have nothing to lose, I got mine for £12.

But now, with some real headphones under my belt, they sound god awful. There is really nothing good about these. That's being unfair. There is no bloating or distorting across the spectrum and separation is actually very good. But the whole sound is artificial from the weedy almost non-existant bass through to the metalic, robotic mids. The treble does the best but who cares about a nice snappy drum track when the rest of the sound is so unnatural?

What has frustrated me the most is that nothing can save these. My girlfriend has an awful pair of low end Sony fart cannons, but I was able to open them up, add some dampening, tape up the vents and bring them under control a bit. With these phones nothing seemed to improve them and nothing bought any bass out of them. It's not an issue of a good driver in a cheap case with no dampening - it's a case of a bad driver.

Frustrated, I finally binned these.

But if you have £12 to spend and you want something better than the stock buds on your DAP, they are certainly worth the asking price. My advice is to bite the bullet and up your budget.

Comments: