Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser EH-250 Digital DJ Headphones

Sennheiser EH-250 Digital DJ Headphones

Pros: Soft pads, lightweight, surprising clarity, replaceable cord

Cons: Boomy bass, comfort

My first full size set of cans smile.gif.

We still have them - although they are for the kids now as I've moved up the chain just a little.

eh250-1.jpg

Overview

The Sennheiser EH-250's are a closed supra-aural headphone, which are very lightweight and portable.

Tech Specs

Ear coupling supraaural
Cable length 3 m
Frequency response (headphones) 14.....19000 Hz
THD, total harmonic distortion <0,2 %
Sound pressure level (SPL) 112 dB(SPL)

Above was from Sennheiser's website

Build/Comfort

The build is very good.  They are lightweight, and the only real sign of wear from 4 years of constant use is some paint chipping off the headband.  The cables are replaceable - we've had to replace once due to a broken wire.  They are very comfortable to wear  - initially.  The headband is extremely well shaped and soft.  The pads are also extremely soft, and if you don't mind supra-aural cans - they should be great for you.  I found that after about 2 hours - they began to get quite painful.  If the pads were slightly larger (and circumaural) for me they would be fantastic.  They are not foldable, but the cups swivel slightly allowing good positioning for comfort.

Isolation / Clamp

These have a really good clamp on them - possibly contributing to my ear pain from the cushions over time.  They isolate exceptionally well - and would be great for portable use.

When these were my only can, I thought they sounded absolutely awesome.  As I was exposed to more cans, I slowly realised that while these provide good sound, they do not provide great sound.

The mids are warm, and the highs are actually quite nice - although not extending very far.  The freq spectrum I would definitely say is V-shaped (emphasis on bass and treble).  They are clear without being overly detailed.  The biggest issue with them is the bass.  it's definitely there, but it is not defined.  It's punchy but overall a little boomy and sloppy.  It doesn't overpower as much as the low Beats (also has better definition) - it's just not what I now expect from my cans.

They are a 'fun' sound rather than an accurate one.

The kids however think it is great - and we will probably buy something similar (HD203) so they each have their own set of cans.

eh250-2.jpg

Conclusion

The equiv $65 US I paid was NZD converted, and headphones are expensive in my part of the world.  I think the equivalent model (maybe slightly better drivers now) for these is the HD203 - they look the same anyway.  The EH-250 would be ideal for entrants to mid-fi looking for a portable can with a warm, bassy (thumpy) signature.  They're also ideal for kids  - being a  cheap option.

If you're looking for bass definition - look elsewhere.  If it's just bass quantity and portability on a tight budget - these could be exactly what you need.

Pros: Sound awesome.

Cons: The look is not very fashion forward.

The bottom line is that I loved these headphones.  They were my first set of decent of headphones following my growing hatred of the apple earbuds.  They were also easily powered by my iPod touch 2G.  I recommend them.

Sennheiser EH-250 Digital DJ Headphones

The eH 250 closed, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones have a balanced sound image with a slight emphasis on the bass response. DJs will like their outstanding acoustic properties, their excellent attenuation of ambient noise, the soft, comfortable ear pads and the replaceable connection cable.

BindingElectronics
UPC615104100336
Batteries Included0
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWarranty does not cover misuse of product.
Warranty2 years warranty
Special Featuresnv: Transducer Principle^Dynamic, closed | Frequency Response^14-19,000 Hz, diffused field equalized | Nominal Impedance^32ohm | Max Spl^112dB | Thd^-0.2 | Ear Coupling^Supra-aural | Connector^3.5 mm stereo jack with 6.3 mm adapter, 10ft copper OFC cable | Weight^Approx. 130gwithout cable
Product Type Subcategory2300799