Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Sennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphones › Reviews › Hifi Man's Review

Kind of fun, interesting headphones, but simply not worth it

A Review On: Sennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphones

Sennheiser Amperior On-Ear Headphones

Rated # 8 in On-Ear
Hifi Man

Pros: Kind of 'fun' sounding, Pretty, Seem pretty durable

Cons: Very uncomfortable, Congested and not good for enjoying music

I've owned the Sennheiser Amperior for about a month and a half. I got these headphones for 175 dollars used, and I don't feel they're worth the money for me.Before I begin, I'd like to start off by saying some positive things so I don't come off as just bashing these things. I think they're very pretty headphones and they feel well made. They're fun to hold in your hands and appreciate the aluminium cups. They do have a rather quick and sharp sound. That's where I think the good ends.

Wearing them becomes very uncomfortable after around 30 - 60 minutes of use. My ears get very hot/sore wearing these. I find that they are too aggressive for the metal music I listen to. I think there's too much bass and they don't have enough detail, especially for metal music which has walls of sound and there's not enough separation. For any music I think they sound too congested. I prefer a bit more soundstage. They may sound 'fun' at first, but I think these headphones, aside from the fact that they're uncomfortable, aren't easy to enjoy music with, they're just too bright and congested.

- Minor Gripes:

-The swivel function for the ear piece is useless.

-The detachable cable is a bit bulky and thumps against my chest when I wear them for running. I supposed that these would be good for running because they're supposed to stay on your head very well, but my other headphones, the Bose AE2 actually stay on my head better when running, which I have used for running in for years (which are also vastly more comfortable headphones).

-You can't lay down with these headphones, even facing up on a pillow, because the ear cups fall off your ear breaking the seal. They don't actually stay on your head as well as you might think.

-When it's windy or when I'm riding my bike outside I can hear wind blowing against the ear cups, which actually makes it hard to hear the music. That is really annoying.

Thanks for reading.

Would they be worth it for 90 dollars refurbished?
imo they were worth their original retail price of $349 and at $90 refurbished are a steal though you can get them new (oldstock) from BuySonic for $99 in either blue or silver.https://www.buysonic.com/ which is an even better deal
a lot of the issues HiFi Man has here are taken care of once the drivers burn in,and as you wear the headphones more frequently i.e. the headband become more comfortable, also any initial sharpness in the higher frequencies (which i only experienced on a few specific recordings) cools off and the midrange opens up nicely which takes emphasis off the midbass hump giving them a much more balanced sound over all.
i do agree they aren't great for active sports - they are designed as club/ DJ headphone based on Sennheisers classic HD-25 series (hence the swivel cup which is there so a DJ can flip the cup up and speak with someone without the need to remove his headphones) ,i'm not a DJ so it's a feature i never use and i've never had the swivel cup come loose on accident, so if you don't need it its not a problem.
he is right in stating that the ear cups do slide out of place too easily Sennheiser definitely could have made a better design there, i solved this by wrapping black electrical tape below the cups which blends in perfectly with the black plastic arms the cups rest on and after that it's never been an issue.you can't even tell the electrical tape is there. alternately you could use a small black rubber band on each side.
i paid $160 for mine a year and a half back and love em,next to my Grado PS500e they are my favorite headphones.