Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Schiit Valhalla › Reviews › Rem0o's Review

The Schiit underdog

A Review On: Schiit Valhalla

Schiit Valhalla

Rated # 3 in Desktop Amps
Amazon.com
Quality
Rem0o
Posted · 25109 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Tons of juice, good punch and control, beautiful midrange, dead quiet, good looks.

Cons: Nature of tubes, heat.

I used this amp mainly with a pair of HD 650 and it does what it is supposed to do: it has way more power than I need, it's quiet and it makes everything sound in its place. I have never heard other tube amps before, but I didn't get the "lushness" or the "tubey" thing , at all. It may be there, but it's just to tell you that if it is there, well, it's subtle. To my ear, this is neutral. I have no idea why exactly or how to explain it, but it has a "better" sound to me, more control, than my previous Fiio E10 and Aune T1 for what it's worth. Overall, a really good sounding product from my experience and I'm still enjoying it as much as the first day I got it.

Now for the bads... Well, if you ever thought about buying this amp, you are probably already aware of its "downsides". They don't lie on their website: this thing gets toasty. After a few hours, the volume knob gets really hot to the touch, but I don't care really. It takes arround 10 seconds for the amp to work when you power it on, and it takes like 10 minutes to completely power off. Tubes makes sounds (clicks) when they change temperature, but again, I couldn't care less.

If you read the previous paragraph correctly, you will understand that there is no real cons to this amp. In my book, this thing is a winner. It has the looks, it has the sound, it's made in USA, its 350$ and it has a killer warranty/customer support.

To be honest, if you asked me why I bought this amp over let say the Asgard 2 (or any other amp really), well I had a good price on my unit at the time as it was opened-box and the Asgard 2 wasn't available (and it ain't still) in a Canadian retailer. Would I buy the same amp today? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I would probably get a SS like the Asgard or a Violectric because they are more versatile. But do I regret my purchase? Absolutely not. For it's intended purpose, to power my HD650 on my desk at home, this thing gets the job done with flying colors.

1 Comment:

The Valhalla is one of the best amp for the HD650, much better than Asgard (IMO).