Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Schiit Asgard Headphone Amplifier › Reviews › jschristian44's Review

Amazing detailed amp for it's price

A Review On: Schiit Asgard Headphone Amplifier

Schiit Asgard Headphone Amplifier

Rated # 5 in Desktop Amps
Quality
jschristian44
Posted · 13768 Views · 1 Comment

Pros: Detail, Warmness, Design, Cost

Cons: Heat

I got an excellent deal on my Asgard and always wanted to test out a Schiit Audio product.  I kind of underestimated them after someone saying that the Objective 2 sounds as nice as this for a lower cost.  I've built over 10 Objective 2's myself and I have to say they can't touch the quality of this product.  The thing they have going for them is basically portability.  I guess you could say that the O2 is a portable Asgard.  And when you go portable, as with headphones, you lose some quality but it's still there.  Anyways, on to my review of this wonderful little amp.  I would say that this amp is the clean and neutral sounding amp of the Bottlehead Crack.  I once had the Crack and wish I never sold it, but this thing is the next best thing.  I would say it's a 2010 version of the 1980 Bottlehead Crack look and feel.  It isn't as warm as the Crack, but still has some nice warmness to it.  It does get very hot, even the volume knob, so be careful.  That is probably the biggest con which most people can agree.  The Crack did get just as hot though because it was a Tube amp.  I think Schiit could have made the vent the hole upper top to help escape some heat, but then again I have no idea how amps are designed.  I think they should have realized that the volume knob gets very hot after a while.  Anyways, if you can find this in the $200 range, get it and don't look back.  If you have the extra money and like the sound of Tube's, like me and a lot of people, get the Crack.  You can't go wrong with either.  They both have many reviews claiming to sound just as good as several thousand dollar high end amps.  One guy even claimed that the Asgard beats out the Lyr and the Valhalla.  I can see why he would say that.  If you like vocals sounding pure and clean, get this amp and pair it with a nice DAC.

1 Comment:

Is your amp from the newer patch, so it has the protection relay thing installed?