Clip Zip is worth your money

A Review On: SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black

SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black

Battery Life
User Interface
syNRG

Pros: Small, cheap, compact, what isn't to like

Cons: Battery life, screen size & res

Best player you could probably buy under $200. Sell your ipod, and buy one of these. Native .flac support and expandable memory. Threw a 32gb micro sd card in straight when I got it, copied some music onto it. Loved the experience.

At $50, what more can you expect. Construction feels pretty solid, especially for plastic. The screen is small, and it's resolution is only 96x96, but for $50, it's ok. I would've much preferred the yellow and blue screen from the clip+ as it seems a bit more fitting. I just don't feel the colour screen belongs on the Zip.

Battery life seems on the low size. Sandisk claims 15hours of battery life, I feels as if it were 10. Clip is resilient, feels very "springy". Buttons feel good and have good feedback. Recording the radio is a great feature. All features in the Zip actually seems good, and something that you may USE. Rather than players that are stacked full or useless crap, advertise them as if you'd ever really use them.

UI is very simple. Doesn't mean it's bad; still excellent and simple. Sound quality is excellent, and the custom EQs are a great feature. There are 5, and are fully customisable which is great no matter who you are. Love the Zip, will keep using it :D

*I understand this is a terrible review, but it was meant to be quick*

EDIT: Installed Rockbox...IT'S AMAZING! User interface is a little trickier to navigate, but it's definitely worth it. Thought I bricked my Zip, but just a very long press of the power button solved it. UI goes down to a 3-3.5/5 which sounds harsh, but there's no colour, and it isn't intuitive to navigate, nor does it look very good. Still love it, getting used to the UI but i love features such as charging and playing music simultaneously, but obviously you cannot copy an new music over while this feature is being used.

Got a Clip+ theme, which makes me very happy. Music playback no longer has album art, but that doesn't bother me. All original features from the normal Zip firmware is still here, but there are some added ones. I feel as if the battery now last longer, but haven't done a continuous play of music to test it.

Another thing to note about the UI, I like it a lot while it's black and white, but I'm sure others won't appreciate it, which is why i gave it a low rating.

BUY IT, IT DESERVES YOUR MONEYZ! :P

The $30 2GB Sandisk Clip+ is imo a much better deal. Add a cheap 32GB card to that and one has plenty of space. The Clip Zip firmware still has some glitches. Hopefully at the end of August Sandisk will release a new version of the Fuze. The navigation on the Fuze+ is horrible. The original Fuze is quite good though.
Regarding the battery life, are you using the stock OF? I haven't had much experience with the stock OF but my Rockbox'd Zip lasts close to 16 hours on a full charge.
i'm from australia and the clip+ is the same price unless you buy a refurbished one...which i may do :P But no i haven't rockboxed mine yet. I will today though
You can easily get past the bland UI by downloading a theme from the Rockbox Utility. Most of them are colored and support album art.
i don't really care for colour or album art. doesn't bother me. I've downloaded all the themes and also fonts, not a massive fan of any of them other than the clip+
Yeah but you said you gave it a low rating on the UI because it's black and white. :P
only because other people may not appreciate the bland UI :P
I realize its been over a year since the last post here, but I would like to ask a question. Is it pretty much the consensus of everyone here that the SQ of the Clip Zip is at least as good, if not better than that of the Clip+?
Also, did I read correctly that the Zip features 5 customizable EQ options? I know that the Clip+ only has ONE that is customizable, while all of the others on it are (non-customizable) presets.
I owned a Clip+ a while back (wish now that I had kept it, but anyway...), at this point I am seriously considering getting another one. But if the Zip is just as good (in terms of SQ, that is), then I might just consider one of those, instead.
Yes i do believe that assumption is correc tin saying that the SQ of the clip zip is squal to the clip+. I haven't tried the clip zip and the clip plus does have the 5 custom EQ options. I had a 6 month break from using the clip when i got my Galaxy S3, but i'm actually back to using it now. Ever since i got my ATH Pro700MKII i've really enjoyed the clip. I would definitely say that it's worth getting again, I still love mine (even if it does have 2 rows of dead pixels that just appear blue all the time). I carry both my phone and also the Clip+ with me since neither is that large. I hope you get a new clip+ ^_^, we all know that you'll enjoy it