Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Portable Source Components › Digital Audio (FLAC/MP3/etc) Players (DAPs) › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black

SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black

Pros: Size, sound, price, not an ipod

Cons: Headphone jack

I love my little clip.  It is so small it fits anywhere (It fits perfectly in the free space of the case of with whatever cans I am bringing with me that day), my only complaint is the headphone jack and some QC issues.  My first one the jack lost a channel in less than a month, luckily it was under best-buy's warranty, and I was able to get it replaced at the store, unfortunatly the second one did not have a working SD card slot, so back to the store where I returned it for #3.  I now keep the little source cable with the right angle connector running to my amp on it all the time do minimize use and stress on the jack, and no problems yet.  While I admit alot of the problem is probably the stress my lards 7506 jack caused to the little port, they could have made it a little stronger, maybe even a metal jack, and moved it to the top so it would not get stressed by large plugs on that side exit.  I highly reccomend using a right angle connector or adaptor with this player to keep the headphone jack going.  That all said, for the price, I can't really complain.

Pros: Small, cheap, compact, what isn't to like

Cons: Battery life, screen size & res

Best player you could probably buy under $200. Sell your ipod, and buy one of these. Native .flac support and expandable memory. Threw a 32gb micro sd card in straight when I got it, copied some music onto it. Loved the experience.

At $50, what more can you expect. Construction feels pretty solid, especially for plastic. The screen is small, and it's resolution is only 96x96, but for $50, it's ok. I would've much preferred the yellow and blue screen from the clip+ as it seems a bit more fitting. I just don't feel the colour screen belongs on the Zip.

Battery life seems on the low size. Sandisk claims 15hours of battery life, I feels as if it were 10. Clip is resilient, feels very "springy". Buttons feel good and have good feedback. Recording the radio is a great feature. All features in the Zip actually seems good, and something that you may USE. Rather than players that are stacked full or useless crap, advertise them as if you'd ever really use them.

UI is very simple. Doesn't mean it's bad; still excellent and simple. Sound quality is excellent, and the custom EQs are a great feature. There are 5, and are fully customisable which is great no matter who you are. Love the Zip, will keep using it :D

*I understand this is a terrible review, but it was meant to be quick*

EDIT: Installed Rockbox...IT'S AMAZING! User interface is a little trickier to navigate, but it's definitely worth it. Thought I bricked my Zip, but just a very long press of the power button solved it. UI goes down to a 3-3.5/5 which sounds harsh, but there's no colour, and it isn't intuitive to navigate, nor does it look very good. Still love it, getting used to the UI but i love features such as charging and playing music simultaneously, but obviously you cannot copy an new music over while this feature is being used.

Got a Clip+ theme, which makes me very happy. Music playback no longer has album art, but that doesn't bother me. All original features from the normal Zip firmware is still here, but there are some added ones. I feel as if the battery now last longer, but haven't done a continuous play of music to test it.

Another thing to note about the UI, I like it a lot while it's black and white, but I'm sure others won't appreciate it, which is why i gave it a low rating.

BUY IT, IT DESERVES YOUR MONEYZ! :P

SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black

What's "Zip" (in Sansa Clip Zip)? Zip is the motion that makes your workouts go faster and car rides seem shorter. It's the sound from your player that provides a perfect soundtrack for any outdoor activity or casual stroll. Zip is the ease of finding your favorite song or FM radio station on a color screen with a bigger display. It's the instant gratification you get when you look at the added stopwatch and realize you've cut seconds off your mile. Zip is saving your thoughts as soon as they enter your head with a built in voice recorder. Whether you need the power of music to guide you to the finish or to accompany you along the way, the Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player is the ultimate on-the-go music experience for your journey. Sansa Clip Zip MP3 player gets you there!

BindingElectronics