One of the best sounding smartphones, thanks to the integrated Wolfson audio Hub

A Review On: Samsung Galaxy Note II

Samsung Galaxy Note II

Battery Life
User Interface
sdonati84
Posted · 1939 Views · 14 Comments

Pros: fantastic screen, very good sound quality,great battery life

Cons: portability

Note: audio quality tested with sennheiser momentum, v-moda m-80, sennheiser ie8

I really don't see Portability as an issue whan you refer to the Galaxy Note 2 as it is a smartphone by all means, and not a dedicated DAP.
As a DAP however, I see the GN2 as very capable of being your personal DAP should you choose to go down that route.
In all fairness, this review is lacking in the GN2's many abilities, one of which is the useful ability to use a Micro SD card slot to double (or quadruple) your internal memory, which doesn't exist in iPods and some DAPs.
I couldn't do an extensive review of the GN2 here as it belongs to my mother. Thus, I don't have the right to fully criticize your review for lack of information that would have been useful to readers were you able to write a full, extensive review.
Well, here is a plus for Note 2: you can use a external DAC with Note 2.
So... why didn't you actually give a review. I doubt it has $500 sound quality, and you're half-assed excuse for a review isnt exactly convincing.
@above Yeah... so can my OpenPandora. And all of the iDevices.
"you're half-assed excuse for a review isnt exactly convincing"
Hey, just so you know, I'm 13. If my "half-assed" excuse for a review ain't convincing, you better be convinced by now.
@takato14: it's not $500 sound quality. It's more of one of the best sounding mass market products. Obviously can't compete with "audiophile" players. But to me it sounds as good as my ipod touch 5g but I prefer the note as I find it more "smooth" , plus the big gorgeous screen, the expandable storage and the great battery life, make it a perfect all in one portable solution. And if you don't like sound quality out of the box or you want something better (for example at home), you can connect an external dac. Soon, note2 will support Voodoo Sound, which will improve sound quality even further with a HW parametric eq and some other improvements.
sdonati84, thatBeatsguy:
I gave S Tweaks a spin and I take everything said back.
I was hotheaded and conjectured based on my experience.
"I gave S Tweaks a spin and I take everything said back.
I was hotheaded and conjectured based on my experience.
I am delighted to admit I was wrong in this case and glad you guys tempted me to "see how sucky and fake sounding it must be" - I discovered my Note 2 houses a sweet little sound system - kudos."
AHA! So that's how you make a great sound come from a Note 2!
My mom's been complaining about this for ages! This is epic!
deleted half my posts to save mods the trouble. still be gentle adding gain - it maxes output at about 6db (so get's loud, but over 0 is just more gain) and has about as much in gain through the equalizer... I keep pushing that then regretting it when the greedy settings make it sound like a toy xD
sdonati84: "Soon, note2 will support Voodoo Sound"
Source?
That'd be great
I have a rooted Note 2 running the Perseus kernel. I run Poweramp and have S-Tweaks installed, and I output through a pair of Sony MDR-ZX700 'phones. The sound quality is every bit as good as my Sony MP3 players (once I tweaked the equaliser settings to my satisfaction). I don't use the replay gain setting as I find it just distorts the output; the ability to up the headphone volume (beyond the factory max, I mean) makes all the difference and renders the replay gain function unnecessary in my opinion. I have a Class 10 64GB SDXC card in the phone and no longer carry a dedicated media player - the phone does it all!
Funny thing, I just got a Note II as my next phone. I haven't tested it fully yet but I'm interested. I can already say that the amp is an absolute wuss as it can barely handle my DT1350s. However, what is this "S Tweaks" I see mentioned? Deleting posts means questions like this need to be asked again. Don't do that.
@takato14: Note II amp gain is SW limited. STweaks / Voodoo are used to maximize the gain and to tweak other parameters in order to maximize sound quality.
@takato14: STweaks is a kernel configuration app that allows you to tweak the CPU's performance, memory usage, GPU performance, and the factory-set audio settings. It's available in the Google Play Store. In relation to this review, it's specifically the audio settings that we are interested in.