Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › Roland Quad Capture

Roland Quad Capture

Pros: 24/192 capability, regenerates USB power, 100% bus powered, also acts as a great AD converter

Cons: Will not operate as a stand-alone headphone amp with auxiliary USB power

The Roland Quad Capture 2X2 comes from the world of pro audio but is a viable option when used as a USB DAC with a laptop or desktop. The Roland uses regenerated USB power, which effectively isolates the signal path from stray noise, a serious issue when DACs are used with computers. The unit is 100% USB bus powered.

The Quad Capture is usable without drivers, plug it in and it shows up as a 16/44 audio interface. This is all that's needed for CD audio playback, and all of the unit's enviable qualities are self-evident. Adding ASIO to the mix elevates the unit into the upper echelon of USB DACs, namely it enables bitrates up to 24/192. When it comes to "affordable" pro gear, I've owned a couple of Focusrite Scarlett units, and a Motu Traveler. I've used Mackie and Alesis USB mixers. I've tried out the latest/greatest soundcards from Creative and Asus. The Roland trumps them all with it's well-built chassis, and a noteworthy, buttery delivery of deep bass.

Rendering refined detail is Quad Capture's strongest suit, music is output with a smooth ease that I've come to associate with high-end DACs intended for use with home stereos, without a hint of the granularity produced by lesser units. The headphone amp appears more than capable of driving a finicky pair of cans, in my case a pair of AKG 701s. Currently, the Quad Capture is breaking in my new pair of Monster Inspiration headphones, I'll reach 30 hours sometime after lunch today, I'm psyched to hear the results.

I doubt I would have picked up the Roland at it's street price of $269—but I found it on clearance for $135 and at that price it is a steal. Value rating is based on price paid.

<br />

The Quad-Capture is the core of my portable studio

No member lists contain this item yet.
Roland Quad Capture
By:

Pro Performance for Portable Production With a pair of premium VS Preamps onboard, plus superb 24-bit/192 kHz audio quality, ultra-low latency performance, and convenient USB bus power, QUAD-CAPTURE sets a new standard for portable USB 2.0 audio interfaces. Its compact, durable design and pristine sound makes it the perfect foundation for portable, multichannel computer-based productions on the go. With quality and performance that far exceeds its size and price, QUAD-CAPTURE stands at the head of its class. Two combo XLR/TRS inputs with premium mic preamps (VS Preamps), two TRS outputs, coaxial I/O, headphone out, and MIDI I/O Graphical Control Panel software provides fast, intuitive control of the VS Preamps Phantom power, ground lift, and Hi-Z switches One-click AUTO-SENS function intelligently sets optimal input levels for the preamps Extreme low-latency VS Streaming driver Low-noise, wide-range power supply Compact with durable aluminum body and Direct Box functionality Bundled with Cakewalk SONAR X1 LE

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › Roland Quad Capture