Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Rockit Sounds R-50 › Reviews › Techno Kid's Review

One of the best bang for buck IEM's I've heard

A Review On: Rockit Sounds R-50

Rockit Sounds R-50

Rated # 15 in Universal Fit
Techno Kid
Posted · 19723 Views · 2 Comments

Pros: very detailed, smooth, large soundstage, comfortable fit, good isolation

Cons: not a lot of accessories

Specs

Price - $119.99

Driver Unit - Knowles TWFK dual BA

Impedance - 31ohms, 110dB @ 1kHz

Frequency Response - 20Hz - 20kHz

Accessories - Now they don't have one of the most accessory packed sets really its quite small.  You get 3 sets of S,M,L tips which might present some people to have fit issues but for me the stocks ones that were on them work great.  You also get a nice little round case and a airline adapter, so theres not much to talk about here.

Build Quality - I think the build quality is pretty good for a small company.  The IEM housing seem built well and the rubber thats over it seem like it would protect it from cracking or braking.  I really like the braided cord and its has a small amount of stretch to it though it can get tangled from time to time but its not to bad.  The Y connection imo is one of the best I've come across as its very forgiving and has a strain relief on both ends.  I wish they had a L shaped jack but the straight one the use is still very good and for $119.99 I'm not complaining.

Fit - As for the fit they're very good, easy to put in and I get a good seal with the stock tips (made with non-allergic silicone).  Comfort is A+ I don't feel them after a few mins and the memory wire they use its much better then say the TF10's.  Another effect from the rubber around the housing is that it adds to the comfort so you don't have the hard plastic in your ear.

Sound - Now for the really reason you by IEM's, the sound (at least for me it is).

Treble - The R-50 has some of the best all around highs I've heard from IEM's.  What I mean by that is they have wonderful detail and extend as good as any of my other IEM's but they're still very smooth and non fatiguing.  They can be bright when the track calls for it but they still retain that smooth over all feel.  Compared to the treble on my PFE 112 the R-50 has the same amount of micro detail but on tracks that have bright treble it doesn't get sibilant like the PFE can.

Mids - The mids are very clear and also have great detail.  They're not really forward or even a little recessed but centered perfectly and vocal sound where they should while being crystal clear and they sound very natural.  For music like edm they mid range melodies and synths sound very good as well.  Now comparing the R-50's mids to some of my mid centric like the SE425 or e-Q7 they have all the detail but you can hear everything else very clearly and not being dominated by the mids like mid-centrics can do.

Bass - As for the bass this is one of my favorite parts (along with soundstage).  For a BA and quite a small one at that the bass has a good amount of punch for the 4/4 kicks in edm and it really can go pretty deep, also has just the right amount of mid bass to.  I love the texture and the decay is really good for a BA so bass heavy music like edm and hip hop work well with the R-50. Now they're not bass monsters by means but have plenty if your not a bass head.  Another comparison this time with the TF10's which have a good amount of bass for a BA the R-50 stacks up really good.  While they don't have the same quantity of the UE's I think the R-50 has better quality like in the sub an mid bass, its just an over all cleaner sound imo (I do use a bit of bass boost whether with an amp or by EQ'ing).

Soundstage - This is one of the places where the R-50 shines imo.  While it might not be the largest soundstage out there its defiantly still on the larger side.  The width is excellent and I get a good since of depth all so, I'd say width is as good as the GR07 but with better depth.  I'm not to good at judging height so I can't speak on that.  They also have a nice 3D presentation and I'd say its as good or better than the EPH-100.  Separation and Imaging is another strong suit of the R-50.  I can make out ever little nuance of a track and hear where everything is coming from.  I don't think I have a pair thats better and of the more expensive IEM's I've heard theres not one that just kills theses either.  Between these and the TF10's which also have a large soundstage the I'd say the TF10 is a bit wider but both have the same amount of depth and the R-50 has better separation and imaging imo.

Conclusion - For the $119.99 these go for I think they're easily one of the best bang for bucks around, I can't think of any that would sound much better at their price point.  With a very detailed sound as you'd expect with a good TWFK based IEM it does it in a smoother way than most and I've had mine in now for almost 4 hours which is hard to do with really bright analytical IEM's imo.  All in all these are fantastic and I hope more people give them a try, like the ones who have another TWFK IEM and these would be a great compliment to those.  Also if you like the analytical sound but would like it to have a little bit of a warmer presentation the R-50 is perfect.  So I'm sold and looking forward to what Rockit Sounds might have in-store sometime in the future.

Never heard of this company.
Sounds impressive if what you say is correct. You should offer Joker or ClieOS a loan so they can fit this one in their multi-review threads.
I told joker about them and he said he might get a pair to review after the ones he's doing clear up some, but I would loan them to him if he wanted me to.