RHA MA750 Review

A Review On: RHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone

RHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone

Rated # 31 in Universal Fit
C.C.S.

Pros: Well-balanced Sound, Detailed, Extended Treble Response

Cons: Mild Sibilance, Not Neutral

Background:

About two weeks ago, I was selected to be a member of a review program that RHA was holding for their MA600 and MA750 IEMs. I had not heard any of RHA’s IEMs at that point and was only vaguely familiar with them and their growing reputation. However, I could not miss out on the potential opportunity to receive a free pair of earphones, so I nominated myself and a friend for the program. He and I both received a pair of MA750 for review. So, here’s my take on the RHA MA750.

Disclaimer: I did not pay anything for this review sample. RHA sent it to me for free. This has not affected the opinion reflected in this review.

Packaging:

The packaging for the MA750 is fantastic. It has a premium look and feel, complete with a plastic display window, allowing the user to look at the IEMs before opening the box. Once you open the box, you’ll be greeted with the IEMs, front and center, and below them, an ear tip holder, carrying 9 pairs of replacement tips, including two pairs of foams and two sizes of bi-flange tips. The large selection of tips is very impressive for the price, and I am glad to see that RHA included so many. A soft carrying case and a shirt clip are found under the IEMs. I would’ve preferred a hard shell instead, but the package is still quite impressive. RHA absolutely deserves credit for all of the things they’ve offered here.

Build Quality:

These IEMs are tanks. Stainless steel earpieces, a thick cable and quality strain reliefs make me feel confident that these IEMs will last a long time, even if you aren’t always super gentle with your gear. I especially like the idea of using a spring as a strain relief before the 3.5 mm jack. This provides plenty of flexibility and, at the same time, feels and appears more durable than what you would see on other IEMs. All in all, I don’t think any user should worry a whole lot about breaking these, as they are built very well.

RHA was right to say that the MA750 was best for people who prefer a balanced sound signature. Make no mistakes, however. These are not for people who prefer a neutral sound. Bass is undoubtedly boosted significantly. Lower treble also features a minor peak that can sound a bit sibilant at times. However, these do sound very balanced in general.

The boosted bass is a good fit for many modern recordings. Beats are big and appropriately loud, without getting in the way of the midrange or treble. Decay is quite fast, so the bass rarely feels bloated or exaggerated, though it can occasionally obscure midrange detail if used without EQ. Bass impact is visceral and even intense at times; coming from a more neutral bass presentation, these surprised me when I turned on some hip-hop for the first time. I could’ve sworn I felt my brain shake for a second. However, I must emphasize, once more, that the boost is not huge. It is large enough to be heard and to be felt, but I did not feel like it got in the way of the rest of the music.

The midrange on the MA750 is clean and features much more detail than I expected from an IEM in this price range. The midrange is not as forward in the mix as the bass is most of the time. Bass bleed carries over slightly into the lower midrange, making this IEM sound relatively warm. This means that, occasionally, some details may be lost to the listener or that they may not be as apparent as they normally are. However, this is usually not the case. The mids, for the most part, feature a good amount of detail and sound more refined than any IEM I’ve heard near this price point. The timbre is also very good, though their warmer nature versus others makes them a little bit less desirable for classical and orchestral music than earphones featuring a more neutral sound signature.

The RHA MA750’s treble is, similarly, very clean. It features a fine amount of detail and is well extended. The biggest problem in the 750’s tuning, however, lies in the lower treble. There is a noticeable spike, and possibly some minor ringing, somewhere between 6 and 8 kHz. This emphasizes vocal sibilance a little bit and can cause cymbals to sound a little bit less natural than usual. Some people may not like this tuning very much, though EQ can improve things a lot. The rest of the treble sounds fantastic. It is detailed enough to detect the use of brushes on a drum kit in jazz and rock recordings. Other IEMs at this price are typically a bit splashier and less articulate, making it more difficult to hear this distinction. If you are not very sensitive to sibilance or are willing to overlook this flaw, the treble is pleasing and can even lend itself well to critical listening.

Overall, I think that the sound of this IEM is pretty well-balanced, even without EQ. It features a relatively warm tonality that most people tend to find pleasing, but does so without significantly rolling off the treble. I think that the MA750 is best suited to hip-hop and rock music, though it makes a pretty solid all-rounder if that’s what you’re looking for. For those who are okay with using EQ, this earphone can be made to sound more neutral and offers an excellent value. For those who are not, the MA750 still sounds great, even if it doesn’t exactly fit the definition of neutral.

Final Thoughts:

The RHA MA750 offer buyers a fantastic value at $120 ($130 for the MA750i version). They sound much better than the price tag indicates and are built to last. This does not mean it is without flaw. It is most certainly not neutral and sometimes I feel like it is a touch too warm. That said, these earphones present better sound than I expected and I am genuinely impressed with them. People who want balanced sound on a relatively modest budget should consider the MA750 the next time they’re on the market for IEMs.

Please excuse the lack of pictures in this review. I only own two cameras. One of these is the built-in webcam in my laptop and the other is the even lower quality camera on my phone (my phone isn't a smartphone and features a camera that doesn't come anywhere near qualifying as a decent point-and-shoot.). I'm sure that mechgamer123's review (the other Head-Fier I nominated to review the MA750) will be more visually appealing.

Comments: