Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › RHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone

RHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone

Rated #31 in Universal Fit

Pros: Great bass, nice accessory set

Cons: Slight treble harshness with stock tips

First off, I would like to thank RHA for providing @C.C.S.. and I with review sets. I would also like to thank C.C.S. for nominating me for the review sample.

Gear used for review:

PC → Project H (Custom Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC and O2 with OPA2134 opamps)

iPod Classic → Silver LOD → Fiio E07k

Galaxy Nexus

Nexus 4

Inside the box:

The box looks very nice and professional overall:

Inside the box, you get a great set of accessories. There are six sets of single flange silicone tips and three sets of bi-flange tips, all included on a nifty metal card that helps you keep track of all the tips:

There is also a nice semi-hard case that has space to put the tip card in, as well as the IEMs themselves:

The cable on the MA750s is relatively thick without feeling too bulky. It feels like it won't be tearing anytime soon. The length is pretty standard for most IEMs. For me, this means they're a touch too short. However, I am 6'6” or roughly 198cm tall, so this shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Even though the MA750s are meant to be worn over the ear, there is still a small amount of microphonics from the cable if you do not use the cable cinch at the Y-split to keep the cable from flopping around against your neck while walking. Once you properly adjust the cable cinch though, microphonics are almost nonexistent.

The strain relief on the connector and the IEMs themselves is excellent.

The Y-split seems well built just like the connector. The strain relief for the Y-split is relatively short on both sides, but it feels adequate enough.

While I generally dislike ear guides, I really like the ear guides on the MA750s. The ear guides are not removable on the MA750; they are built into the cable and if someone would try to remove them, they would probably end up with bare wires. This is fine by me though, because unlike a lot of the ear guides that you can snap on with lower end IEMs, or those included in higher end CIEM cables that have very little give to them, the MA750 ear guides have enough flex in them that the weight of the cable will pull the ear guides down and contour to your ears. They seem more like a subtle hint that you should wear the MA750s with the cable over your ear than a potential obtrusion.

The build quality of the IEMs themselves is top notch. The aluminum shells both look and feel classy and durable.

Isolation is also fairly good on the MA750s. Once you get a good, deep seal (preferably with multi-flange tips), these do drown out most of the background noise, even when I have the volume low (which I usually do to try and avoid hearing loss). They still lag behind balanced armature sets I’ve had, but like most dynamic driver IEMs, the MA750s have a port that allows the dynamic driver to move air, limiting the maximum isolation possible.

Now that I've covered the most of the other stuff about the MA750, let's get to the sound, shall we?

Bass: The bass on the MA750 definitely north of neutral, but not overbearingly so. There is a good punch for most modern recordings, that still sounds coherent with bass guitars and things that aren’t meant to go boom. It occasionally bleeds into the lower midrange, but nothing too severe. I think the quantity is perfect for on-the-go listening. The quality is impressive. Bass guitars never sound muddy and are almost always discernable from the rest of the mix.

Mids: The midrange is, for the most part, balanced nicely in between the bass and the treble, except for a small spike and/or ringing in the upper midrange at approximately 5 kHz. This also adds a bit more detail to the overall sound spectrum though, and there are worse places to have a spike. For the price, you probably can’t find anything that has any part of the sound spectrum other than bass without some sort of spike or a complete lack of upper mids or treble, so this is forgivable, especially when you consider the severity of some treble spikes on other similarly priced IEMs.

Instruments generally sound fairly clear and coherent, probably as good if not better than most IEMs in its class, especially after some EQing, but I’ll touch on that later. Generally, most instruments have a good balance between being detailed without being harsh.

Male vocalists have a nice tonality with plenty of body that never makes them sound thin or unimpressive. Female vocalists on the other hand sound relatively soft and ever so slightly veiled. Some female vocalists, especially those with higher pitched voices, can be affected by the aforementioned spike, though generally it’s pretty minimal.

Treble: I am personally think the treble good on the MA750s, especially again considering its price. Most of the other “basshead” IEMs I’ve heard (Pretty much anything that had any bass response even remotely above neutral) have either completely lacked treble, or had way too much of it. In the case of the MA750, there seems to be a bit of a downward tilt with the treble, though not as bad as similar IEMs I’ve heard, such as the DUNU DN-23, Sony MH1C, and Monoprice 8320. The treble is mostly free from harshness or sibilance, but lacks a bit of treble extension for my tastes. Those who prefer a slightly darker presentation will quite like the treble presentation of the MA750. Once you apply a bit of EQ, the treble really shines.

Soundstage: The soundstage on the MA750s is impressive. I didn’t think it was possible with a bass-tuned IEM, but the soundstage is actually fairly open sounding. No, it will not sound as open as open-backed headphones, but for IEMs at this price point, the soundstage is really good. Better than any of the aforementioned bass-tuned IEMs I’ve heard in the past.

Tip Rolling: I liked the stock tips that came with the MA750, but in the end I preferred tips with a slightly wider nozzle opening, as this almost entirely negated the spike I mentioned earlier. I don’t know where they came from, but I had a pair of bi-flange tips laying around that had a slightly wider bore size and fit the MA750 like a glove.

In conclusion, the MA750 is a great IEM overall for $120. I don’t have a lot of experience with the ~$120 IEM market, but if one of my friends was looking to buy a pair of IEMs in the price range, I would steer them towards the RHAs. They have a great consumer oriented sound that doesn’t do very much wrong and will be appealing to most folks, especially the “beats” generation looking to get something better and cheaper.

Pros: Build, package, accessories

Cons: What????

I´m not good to write something about audio stuffs and to write in english but i hope that my experience helps somebody.

For health problems with my ears, i sold all my headphone stuffs.

in my headphone experience history, i had some good amplifiers like Little-Dot MKVI and a unique and massive balanced beta-22.

I had some headphones like Grado HP-2, Sennheiser HD-800, AKG K-1000, Beyerdynamic T1, Ultrasone Edition 10, Audeze LCD-2, Hifiman He-500 and He-6, etc. etc. etc.

And i tried the famous Stax 009

Why the RHA 750i?

In first place, to use when i drive with my iphone 4s.

perfect for this use.

and, of course, to listen music.

i have in my Iphone Radio Tuna and Spotify.

Therefore a lot of music...for free!!!

Honestly, i will not describe the high, the mids and low frequencies; the separation of instruments, the headstage, etc. etc. etc.

It´s a 100€ headphone amplified by an Iphone and without hi-res music.

Well....I´m really happy with the result.

The headphone is fairly balanced with a powerful bass response.

No metallic high frequencies.

I don´t know the result with a dedicated amp/dac like the fiio alpen that i had.

But the headphone returs very well the original sound message.

In my opinion is a best dela considering the price and performances.

and RHA is an european builder.

In the middle of chinese and us products, it´s a good thing.

Cheers

Aldo

Pros: That bass (warm and round, it's a massage to my inner ear), detailed, no edges, technically fantastic, relaxing

Cons: Where have the mids/treble gone? No edges, polite, not exciting

Contrary to my intentions of reviewing these when I first got them (similar to my other reviews), I was forced to wait 2 months from their date of arrival. I've found this to be ideal, as it kept me from writing before getting to know the headphones first, especially since I was coming from a longtime close friendship with the RE0s. Here goes...

Context

2013-10-23 – Initial unboxing and first listen

For the next week, casual listening, walking through city streets, metro, bus lines, in home.

No music for 1.5 months (bricked source)

One week ago, started listening to these headphones and then brought the RE0s back out.

Equipment

Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation unamped, no EQ adjustments

RHA750 with default singleply size small tips attached

Unboxing

As many have commented, the packaging is superb. RHA has taken the Apple elegance of the personal computer world and presented it to the personal speaker world, and yet maintained their own feel. I was somewhat obsessed with the magnet on the front cover of the box, the one that allows the opener to check out what's inside. It was just the right amount of strength to cause me to do a double-take of whether I was ripping the box or not—and then suddenly break free. Here are the contents.

Immediately upon opening I noticed some flaws in the cord, somewhat disappointing.

In addition, I dislike the cord on these phones. The rubber makes it tedious to untangle and feels weird to me. I was also disappointed when my RE0s returned to me with this type of cord the first time the cord broke. After the most recent repairs, the RE0 cord has been updated to a hard plastic shell and works well for me. At this point I thought the cablephonics must not be too nice due to the cord, and after listening to and walking with them in, I concluded the same thing.

The plethora of tips is always daunting to me because inevitably only a few will fit. I wish consumers could choose their tip sizes they want included with their phones but I understand this is unfeasible for prepackaged IEMs.

The Fit

The Over-the-ear assistors are awesome. This is something I've always wanted on my other IEMs as I normally wear them over the ear. On these it's built in, and totally worth it.

The Sound

Initially, I was awed by the bass and disappointed by the mids and trebles. After my break, I re-examined the RHA750 in a less biased light and have come to enjoy their sound more. I hear accurate renditions of how instruments sound acoustically as well as many details in songs I hadn't heard before, including reverbs, echos, and undertones. One of the aspects I like most about the RHA750 is their ability to push sound through my ears for long listening periods before me feeling fatigued; in fact, I have yet to feel fatigued from them. This is not the case with other IEMs I have. The soundstage is bigger than the RE0, getting both closer to the center of my head as well as wider than my ears.

Though the RHA750 do not have an exciting sound signature, there is nothing technically wrong imo. They are comfortably balanced, and do shine in various songs/genres as I describe in my notes below. I initially felt the mids and trebles lacking; but I realized it was due to the bias from the RE0's shimmering mids/trebles. After the month break, I rather enjoyed the natural balance of the RHA750s and clean, clear sounds from the instruments on my recordings. The RHA750s excel with ambient, post-rock, chillout, funk, piano solos, jazz, and small orchestra. I found them not exciting enough for trance, country rock, house, classic rock, or orchestral music.

The non excitingness is ultimately how I decided on 4.2 stars and the school child metaphor. The RHA750 is technically fantastic. They have a generally safe, reliable sound with no surprises, much like that school kid who did the minimum to get A's. The kid doesn't wow you, but they follow all the rules and do enough to get top marks. Except the bass. I have never heard bass from an IEM like the RHA750s do bass. Warm, round, making my inner ear smile, and perhaps bleeding a bit into the lower mids. Contrast this to the RE0 which I feel surprises me all the time and punches me in the face when appropriate. With the RE0, I want to dance. With the RHA750, I want to sit and listen.

Notes (apologies for lack of variety, as my library is inaccessible right now)

Chris Malinchak - So Good to Me (mp3 320kbps)

Low mids active and present, highs not sparkly

Arty & Mat Zo - Rebound (alac)

That bass, separated instruments, detailed. I'm intrigued how the sound seems to be coming literally from behind the center of my eyes. Then the mid and high riffs comes in, sort of. It's there but, I'm not sure it really wants to be.

James Levine Conducts Mahler 3 - Mov't VI (alac)

The inconsistencies in the recording quality show up. The orchestra is in the distance, instruments are clear, warm. The entrance of the timpani in the final 3 minute cadence doesn't make me jump, as with the RE0s.

Kenny Loggins - Return to Pooh Corner (alac)

Mr. Loggins hits his low note at about 1 minute and I hear all of it, unlike the RE0s.

Phil Vassar - Little Red Rodeo (mp3 256kbps)

Mr. Vassar's reverb, never heard that before that clear. The intro guitar riffs don't punch me like in the RE0.

Ratatat - Loud Pipes (alac)

Bass Line sounds very smooth, handles the bass effect well. More texture than RE0.

The American Dollar - The Slow Wait(1) (mp3 320kbps)

Sound signature of these earphones match this type of music well: long periods of listening, not much edgy, dance motivation. Good pure sound, clean, comfortable, relaxing.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan (alac)

Is the piano really sitting beyond my left ear?! The drums perched on the outside of my right ear? Piano sounds warm.

Ne-Yo - Sexy Love (mp3 128kbps)

Bass is round, deep, and warm. Mids are right there, unlike in Rebound. Vocal balance blends well.

Pretty Lights - Out of Time (alac)

This sounds good. These are the phones I want to listen to this music on.

Mat Kearny - Hey Mama (alac)

Too much bass. Other than that, the sound is...polite.

Max Richter - Vladimir's Blues (mp3 320kbps)

Ethereal, I can literally play the air piano and this is how it would sound.

Maroon 5 - Just A Feeling (alac)

First song where I felt the headphones were really there. Details really come out, and the crash cymbals shimmer, finally.

Johnny Clegg & Savuka - I can never be what you want me to be (alac)

The title says it all. When listening with the RE0, it's exactly how I want it to be: unrestrained, mids and trebles singing.

Air - La Femme D'Argent (alac)

I feel like this is how the song is intended to sound. I can see the studio engineer sliding up the gain in the intro and sitting back to give a listen. In contrast, the intro rain has much more energy in the RE0, everything is 'harder', and I want to dance instead of chillax to the music.

Pros: Well-balanced Sound, Detailed, Extended Treble Response

Cons: Mild Sibilance, Not Neutral

Background:

About two weeks ago, I was selected to be a member of a review program that RHA was holding for their MA600 and MA750 IEMs. I had not heard any of RHA’s IEMs at that point and was only vaguely familiar with them and their growing reputation. However, I could not miss out on the potential opportunity to receive a free pair of earphones, so I nominated myself and a friend for the program. He and I both received a pair of MA750 for review. So, here’s my take on the RHA MA750.

Disclaimer: I did not pay anything for this review sample. RHA sent it to me for free. This has not affected the opinion reflected in this review.

Packaging:

The packaging for the MA750 is fantastic. It has a premium look and feel, complete with a plastic display window, allowing the user to look at the IEMs before opening the box. Once you open the box, you’ll be greeted with the IEMs, front and center, and below them, an ear tip holder, carrying 9 pairs of replacement tips, including two pairs of foams and two sizes of bi-flange tips. The large selection of tips is very impressive for the price, and I am glad to see that RHA included so many. A soft carrying case and a shirt clip are found under the IEMs. I would’ve preferred a hard shell instead, but the package is still quite impressive. RHA absolutely deserves credit for all of the things they’ve offered here.

Build Quality:

These IEMs are tanks. Stainless steel earpieces, a thick cable and quality strain reliefs make me feel confident that these IEMs will last a long time, even if you aren’t always super gentle with your gear. I especially like the idea of using a spring as a strain relief before the 3.5 mm jack. This provides plenty of flexibility and, at the same time, feels and appears more durable than what you would see on other IEMs. All in all, I don’t think any user should worry a whole lot about breaking these, as they are built very well.

RHA was right to say that the MA750 was best for people who prefer a balanced sound signature. Make no mistakes, however. These are not for people who prefer a neutral sound. Bass is undoubtedly boosted significantly. Lower treble also features a minor peak that can sound a bit sibilant at times. However, these do sound very balanced in general.

The boosted bass is a good fit for many modern recordings. Beats are big and appropriately loud, without getting in the way of the midrange or treble. Decay is quite fast, so the bass rarely feels bloated or exaggerated, though it can occasionally obscure midrange detail if used without EQ. Bass impact is visceral and even intense at times; coming from a more neutral bass presentation, these surprised me when I turned on some hip-hop for the first time. I could’ve sworn I felt my brain shake for a second. However, I must emphasize, once more, that the boost is not huge. It is large enough to be heard and to be felt, but I did not feel like it got in the way of the rest of the music.

The midrange on the MA750 is clean and features much more detail than I expected from an IEM in this price range. The midrange is not as forward in the mix as the bass is most of the time. Bass bleed carries over slightly into the lower midrange, making this IEM sound relatively warm. This means that, occasionally, some details may be lost to the listener or that they may not be as apparent as they normally are. However, this is usually not the case. The mids, for the most part, feature a good amount of detail and sound more refined than any IEM I’ve heard near this price point. The timbre is also very good, though their warmer nature versus others makes them a little bit less desirable for classical and orchestral music than earphones featuring a more neutral sound signature.

The RHA MA750’s treble is, similarly, very clean. It features a fine amount of detail and is well extended. The biggest problem in the 750’s tuning, however, lies in the lower treble. There is a noticeable spike, and possibly some minor ringing, somewhere between 6 and 8 kHz. This emphasizes vocal sibilance a little bit and can cause cymbals to sound a little bit less natural than usual. Some people may not like this tuning very much, though EQ can improve things a lot. The rest of the treble sounds fantastic. It is detailed enough to detect the use of brushes on a drum kit in jazz and rock recordings. Other IEMs at this price are typically a bit splashier and less articulate, making it more difficult to hear this distinction. If you are not very sensitive to sibilance or are willing to overlook this flaw, the treble is pleasing and can even lend itself well to critical listening.

Overall, I think that the sound of this IEM is pretty well-balanced, even without EQ. It features a relatively warm tonality that most people tend to find pleasing, but does so without significantly rolling off the treble. I think that the MA750 is best suited to hip-hop and rock music, though it makes a pretty solid all-rounder if that’s what you’re looking for. For those who are okay with using EQ, this earphone can be made to sound more neutral and offers an excellent value. For those who are not, the MA750 still sounds great, even if it doesn’t exactly fit the definition of neutral.

Final Thoughts:

The RHA MA750 offer buyers a fantastic value at $120 ($130 for the MA750i version). They sound much better than the price tag indicates and are built to last. This does not mean it is without flaw. It is most certainly not neutral and sometimes I feel like it is a touch too warm. That said, these earphones present better sound than I expected and I am genuinely impressed with them. People who want balanced sound on a relatively modest budget should consider the MA750 the next time they’re on the market for IEMs.

Please excuse the lack of pictures in this review. I only own two cameras. One of these is the built-in webcam in my laptop and the other is the even lower quality camera on my phone (my phone isn't a smartphone and features a camera that doesn't come anywhere near qualifying as a decent point-and-shoot.). I'm sure that mechgamer123's review (the other Head-Fier I nominated to review the MA750) will be more visually appealing.

Pros: Deep sub-bass extension. Natural timbre, Impressive mid range attack, 3 year warranty, Sensible pricing.

Cons: Slight mid bass bloat, some vocal sibilance with certain DAPs, Fit might be bothersome for some.

Recently on Head-fi forums I was approached by another member to contribute in a competition RHA Team were holding to review their new MA750 dynamic based IEM.  I knew very little about the company from Glasgow UK or any of their offerings in the past, I didn't even know how much MA750 was worth on receiving them which I think we can look at in a positive way, going in fresh!  I'd like to thank RHA Team for the review sample as it's been a pleasant surprise indeed. Please make note the version I have is MA750 which does not come with the mic/controls.

RHA-MA750

• 303F grade stainless steel housings
• Handmade 560.1 dynamic driver
• Precise, balanced and articulate sound
• Reinforced, 1.35m, oxygen-free copper cable
• Signature aerophonic™ design
• Premium carry case & tip selection
• Three year warranty
• MSRP: $119.95
• Available 28th August - USA
• Available now - UK & Europe

Packaging and Accessories:

RHA spared nothing on the packaging of this earphone offering a first class experience, I can say that having purchased IEM's in the $300-$400 bracket. You'll be greeted with a wonderful box containing enough information to fill an encyclopedia, enough for you to sit there absorbing your fresh purchase for hours, mentally preparing for that big moment. Features, like the hand made 560.1 dynamic driver, stainless steel housing construction, and lets not forget that wonderful and lengthly 3 year warranty.  Having a warranty of such time shows RHA are confident in their product. I think that's an incredible thought on their behalf and in all honestly when scanning the construction of MA750 I really do think durability is far above what the price would suggest already, especially the strain reliefs and sturdy cable thickness.  You'll even be greeted with a frequency response chart, that admirable curve for those who like looking at them.

Lets take a look at that great assortment of tips provided and carry case. There's enough tips to suit almost everyone I imagine, everyone except for me unfortunately who has used IEM's for so long now daily I've literally stretched my ear canals? even the largest of  silicon tips RHA provided would'nt keep seal for me. I find this rather frustrating as I'm left with limited tip choices, however I wouldn't let this concern everyday consumers. What RHA provided is more than sufficient offering a ton of options, including single flange, double flange and foam tips options. I will make note the tips are of decent silicon quality, possibly a little thin on the walls, I prefer something thicker, however light and comfortable.

There's also one stylish carry case provided which has more than enough room for your new earphones. If there's something I can't stand when a company makes a carry case assuming you're going to compress your earphones and spend 10 minutes carefully shoving them inside only to need them out again in half an hour. What RHA did is make the case to open like a book for easy and quick access. (has a real business mans approach). The case also doubles as a tip holder using some elastic inside the case.  Mighty nice design and overly functional. It's a little large to place inside a jeans pocket but shouldn't cause concern in a jacket or track suit pants.

Build Quality:

(Including the sound) MA750 becomes very hard to ignore here, that includes sensible pricing. Remembering what I said above in my introduction I knew nothing about the $119 amazon price tag of MA750, on opening the box immediately assumed I was looking at something in the $200 - $300 price bracket. The build is excellent with strong sturdy strain reliefs both on the jack and earphones, a cable thick enough for Tarzan to swing from and superiority polished stainless steel housings. I need to stress here I've shown people MA750 without telling them the price, most easily doubled their retail value. The build is without a doubt solid, durable, stylish and leaks a passion for design. What RHA have done makes you wonder what the hell some other company are thinking.

I do however (although love the look) have some concerns for the jack strain relief where a flexible spring has been used, I see two problems. The first being it actually makes the jack a lot longer then required, this may cause a concern for people using smartphones wanting to place in their pocket and secondly, if the spring flexes to much over time in one direction is it going to lose shape and stay kinked in a 'bent' direction? Time will tell, but for aesthetics plugging the jack into my home DAPs I love it, looks great. The cable is also quite thicker than your standard found on IEM's not sure why RHA went for such a thickness, but the durability will be increased by about double. You can see the cable beside a standard offering by Dunu in one of the pics below.

Comfort / Isolation / Fit:

Remembering what I said about my large ear canals, I did have some problems acquiring a fit with MA750, there were times I need to readjust the housings to keep seal, this was only sitting still or simply moving my head, I really don't think it will be a concern for others however, I cannot say they stayed completely sealed with my alternative tip selection. When fitted correctly they're however rather comfortable, possibly the hoops could use a little more flex as they tend to try springing back into their original shape due to the thickness. When MA750 is sealed they do isolate fairly well, nothing extreme and I will rate it above average. Keep in mind tip selection is a vital part of isolation and will vary person to person. I must note there is a ever slight amount of driver flex present on both sides if I push terribly hard on insertion, lifting the ear prevents this.

Sound Quality:

Hisound Studio V
Sansa Clip+
Tralucent T1 amp
IPod Touch 4G.

All files were 16/44 FLAC files. (50 hours burn in was given before review)

Lows:

The low end of MA750 is indeed a touch emphasised, the sub-bass extension using my IHIFI player is some of the deepest fulfilling sub-bass impact I've heard from an IEM in this price range, it also has great texture and depth which will easily please the beats crowd, It's possibly some of the most satisfying bass I've heard from a dynamic driver with the Xuelin DAP. I tried some other sources in which it wasn't quite as prominent but still very upfront in the presentation., you'll absorb solid impact and a feeling of satisfaction. There's a slight mid-bass hump which can haunt the mids a touch at times but really it's very controlled for the price, has good speed and remains refined. When you consider MA750 price the low end punches well above that, and a preference role will be played whether it suits the individual in quantity.. For me personally it could become a little overbearing at times and extended listening, but if I wanted to bass out for an hour with some dubstep I was pleased.

Mids:

When looking into buying MA750 you will find they sound a touch warm,, dark /thick in the mid range but never fear because detail pushes through overly well, again for the price there's a whooping amount of detail, even pushing near (or to me slightly above) the famous Vsonic GR07 MK2 detail extension. There's also a wonderful natural timbre that has great depth when listening to piano or acoustic instruments, it's kind of unheard of for the $119 price tag and that's why when hearing MA750 the first time I assumed they were worth a lot more. It's kind of bizarre what RHA have accomplished and I wonder if they didn't charge enough? Another thing you'll find in the mid range is good attack of instruments, very switched 'on' quickly pushing instruments out at you, A lot of this also comes down to the speed of their dynamic driver.

Overall the mid range is rather smooth and exhibits a nice atmosphere at lower volumes, but when listening at louder levels comes to the party with class. I must note there are a few of my recordings that showed some sibilance, there's a certain frequency which doesn't agree with MA750. The vocal sibilance I experienced with Xuelin DAP was rather harsh however, I think it may be a source problem because although still present didn't display as severe with the little Colorfly C3 or Rocco BA.

Highs:

The high end is something I think could use some improvement, if I'm going to be critical. Slightly rolled off to my ears and lacks a little extension, although safe way to approach an IEM it needs a touch more sparkle which 'can' easily be fixed with EQ. There's sufficient detailing levels but comes off a little tinny or harsh with some tracks to me, by no means a lacking or muted treble but it just needs a little more shrill, refinement and a little less 'tinky' sound, I think extension would improve the high end. What you end up with is a slightly darker sound over all due to the emphasised low end and warmer mid range while the treble rolls off a touch early.

Soundstage / Sepertation / imaging:

RHA have done it again, offering a soundstage far above what the price would suggest, it's has expansive width and a pleasing depth to it. you'll certainly hear guitars imaging from the left and right nicely picking out instruments in most directions, it can be a touch congested at times due to the mid bass creeping through however a nicely done job. Instrument separation is also some of the best I've heard in this price range, even to my ears bettering the more expensive GR07 MK2. You really get a sense or slight metronome effect listening to the instruments playing in time which each other, a real clockwork experience as every sample and instrument forms the presentation, It's not the best separation I have if we're going to talk about $650+ hybrids but better than many IEM's I've heard around the $250 price range. So a very well done job in the technicality of MA750.

Versatility:

MA750 handled all genres with style, especially EDM, acoustic, it also handled orchestra well., It's because of that natural timbre and attack speed in the mid range it really gives depth to a song and makes the MA750 incredibly adapted to most genre's. If anything it didn't do the best I've heard for my Metallica tracks, the speed was there but it lacks a little in guitar crunch, though really I am comparing to IEM's double the price such as T-Peos H-200 Hybrid.

Conclusion:

I think what RHA have provided for the price is exceptional value, it's not hard to do a quick google search and find some other reviews of this product, you'll see most of us are in total agreement that the value to price ratio is almost off the scale. I've read several reviewers mention the sound quality and build could compete with IEM's in the $200 - $250 bracket so it's not only me I've read it several times. I think next time if they could increase the detail even further and lessen the mid bass a fraction also get some further extension on the treble would be a nice thing to try, but really for this price the value and sound quality is kind of unheard of and I'd recommend this IEM without any problem to buyers looking in the $119-$200 price area. It really is one neat package that shouldn't be ignored, and you can take that opinion from seasoned reviewers like Headfonia and some of our Head-fi members.

Jolly good show RHA, jolly good show, indeed!

~H20

Pros: Great Bass. Nice Packaging & Accessories, Excellent Value

Cons: Small 3.5mm Plug, Scratches Easily

First, I’d like to say a big thanks to the RHA team for generously arranging the review competition and for choosing H20Fidelity and I. To be perfectly honest, I hadn’t heard of RHA before this year, when I saw some reviews of their products on Head-Fi. From what I read, the MA750 that we were sent is currently their flagship, followed by their MA600.

For a long time, I have always been on the BA side of the driver debate, but I have been quite impressed by some dynamic IEMs like the GR07 MKII and I wasn’t exactly sure what I should expect from the MA750 and after I heard it, I was (spoiler alert) impressed to say the least. Anyway, let’s get on to the review now. These were burned in for 100 hours before any serious listening. I found the change to be quite significant, offering a more balanced sound, but a more recessed midrange.

**Disclaimer** I was given these as a review sample by RHA in return for an honest, unbiased review.

Testing Gear
In order to see how these fared with different sources, I used tested them with my DX50, iPod Nano 3rd Gen – E6, Sansa Clip+ and SGS3.

The Samsung made the MA750 sound a bit bloated and all over the place with poor imaging, soundstage, separation, detail and clarity. The bass also seemed quite bloated; these don’t pair well at all.

The Sansa is pretty good, a clear step up from the SGS3, but once again, it is lacking a separation and soundstage.

The iPod – E6 combo sounded much better than I had expected and has great clarity.

Overall, the MA750 pairs very well with higher end sources. Amping does improve the sound quite a bit.

Unboxing & Accessories

Wow! The packaging really makes the MA750 feel like it costs much more than its $120 price tag, more like the $300-400 range.

Upon opening the flap with magnets, you are greeted with the MA750s and a very nice looking metal tip holder.

After taking that compartment off, there is a classy case, cable clip and manual. Personally, I think that although the case looks great, it is not particularly protective since it is softish.  Another thing that maybe RHA can improve on is to make sure that the packaging doesn’t bend the cable too much or leave marks in I, but that is rather trivial.

Design, Isolation & Cable

IMO, the RHA MA750 looks absolutely brilliant, probably one of the best looking IEMs out there. From looks, one might even think that the

MA750 is a cheaper K3003! I think that they are very comfortable and easy to wear as well. The strain relief on the plug is very reassuring as well. One gripe I have is that the 3.5mm plug seems to be smaller than normal and is rather loose on all my sources. The build quality is absolutely top notch but the edges scratch quite easily.

As for isolation, it is rather average and the vent does let a bit of sound leak in. It’s around a 3.5 on ljokerl’s huge review thread.

The cable seems very sturdy and is quite a lot thicker than your average stock cable but it is not hard to handle at all.

Sound Quality

The main reason why I really like the MA750 is because of its sound quality, which almost makes other companies look bad. As per all my reviews, the sound section will be split into 3 main parts – the bass, midrange and the treble.

Bass

The bass is really a “typical dynamic” sound, which I love. As I stated above, I generally prefer BAs over dynamic drivers but one thing I feel like dynamics do better in bass. Most BAs just don’t have that hard hitting but fast bass, which the MA750 does incredibly well. The bass never intrudes into parts where it is not needed and I have never felt that it has too little impact. I wouldn’t say it is punchy like my Miracles, and it is more than a GR07 MKII. Actually, the bass reminds me a little of the Tralucent 1plus2. The detail of the bass far exceeded my expectations. The sub-bass was also another highlight and has nice rumble without obscuring details or making everything sound muddy. To me, the MA750 has the best bass by far in its price range. The bass is clearly the best part of the RHA flagship.

Midrange

The midrange is the part that I am not quite sure about. On some songs, they seemed very dark, which they are not and quite recessed, but on other songs the mids had no problems. Straight out of the box, the midrange seemed a bit dark but more forward than what it is now. On most songs the midrange is actually quite neutral with a bit of warmth and it doesn’t sound veiled at all. Vocals are not too far back, but just right and they have a very realistic presentation. The slightly warm vocals, does not detract from female vocals whatsoever, which is what warm IEMs tend to do. Vocal clarity and instruments were all rendered extremely realistically. On the majority of my songs, I loved the mids on the
MA750, but on some the midrange just sounded a bit off. Overall, the mids are great, especially for its price.

Treble

According to the graph on the MA750’s box, the treble is rather rolled off around 7K and I certainly hear it. The treble is rather tame and as a result, the sound is very non-fatiguing and relaxing, but that it not to say that it is boring and dull because it definitely isn’t. Cymbals are still sparkly, but they are never harsh at any point and I have yet to hear sibilance even on high volumes. If you come from bright IEMs like the AX7, UM Miracle etc, these will seem like they are dark and veiled, but after a song or two, you will get used to the darker treble. The extension is still pretty good and it is rather detailed, but not as much as a TWFK based IEM like the R50. Even though I personally prefer a brighter sound signature, I still enjoyed the MA750s very much.

Presentation
The presentation is one of the MA750’s strong points. The stage is rather wide and much more out of your head than other IEMs like the AX7 and the BA-100. Also, it doesn’t have that surround feeling like the UM Miracle.

Accuracy

So how close can a $120 IEM get to an actual performance? Well, as it turns out, very close indeed. It does recreate everything quite well, especially in the bass region. Vocals also sounded realistic, but were a tad too warm. The treble is too rolled off to be neutral, but the decay isn’t overly short. Considering its $120 price tag, the MA750 does very well indeed.

Soundstage & Imaging

Simply put, the soundstage is one of the biggest in the under $200 price range, but it does lose out to the DN-1000. It is very wide and quite deep and feels extremely spacious.

Like the soundstage, the imaging is great, but again, not to the level of the DN-1000. It hardly ever gets congested, quite a feat considering its $120 price.

Detail & Separation

Ok, I think that the detail is one area that can be improved slightly. The similarly priced R50 is more detailed, but it doesn’t have the same bass impact. I would say that it is around the GR07 MKII’s level of detail.

Separation, especially vocal separation, was impressive. I test vocal separation on some tracks by Fun. and the MA750 passed with flying colours. Instrument separation was good as well, but it had some trouble with faster music.

Summary

The MA750 is an IEM that can potentially change the sub $150 market and with some slight changes like a brighter treble and getting rid of the high midrange dip, it will be almost perfect for $120. Bass is absolutely excellent on these and overall, I am extremely impressed with what RHA have made. Once again, thanks to RHA for arranging this to be sent to me.

All photos were taken from Google Images.

Pros: Tone and timbre are excellent, build quality is epic. Strings shine.

Cons: Highs want to be too exuberant. Not forgiving of poor bitrates or mastering.

RHA MA-750i Quick Review

Full review at http://www.head-fi.org/t/687690/rha-ma-750i-review

Thanks to RHA for the sample.

Brief:  Timberal and tonal extraordinaire.

Price:  £90 or for no mic £80, in Americaland US$130 and US$120.

Specification:  Drivers 560.1 Dynamic, Frequency range 16-22,000Hz, Impedance 16ohms, Sensitivity 100db, Rated/max power 1/5mW, Weight 36g, Cable 1.35m, reinforced, OFC, Connections 3.5mm, gold plated.

Accessories:  6 pairs, dual density ear tips - S x2 / M x2 / L x2, 2 pairs, double flange ear tips - S x1 / M x1, 2 pairs, memory foam ear tips - universal fit, Stainless steel ear tip holder, Premium carry case, Clothing clip

Build Quality:  Quite unbelievably spectacular.  It’s a visual extravaganza and it feels as impressive as it looks.  3 year warranty too.

Isolation:  Pretty good for a dynamic.  They are relatively sealed so got driver flex with silicon tips, none with foam and foam helped isolate.  Fine for normal use, maybe not so much for a trip to New Zealand but sufficient to get you run over of course.

Comfort/Fit:  For me it was good.  Ear guides don’t always work for everyone but these are very soft and flexible.  The mic did catch on my clothes with annoyed a little but otherwise these were great for me. Note these cannot be worn down if that an issue for you.

Aesthetics:  Wow, just look at the things!

Sound:  They are a real departure from the V shaped sound of other RHA things.  These are aimed in a much more audiophile direction.  The bass it’s dialled down to only slight oversized.  The mids are much more free and prominent.  The highs, well they are very prominent with the silicon tips.  I found the foams provided the perfect amount of moderation.  The highs are still rather spectacular.  Clean with a perfectly metallic twang on impact and a sumptuously natural decay.  Tonality and timbre are both stand out features here.  Both are just excellent.  The treble abundance though and sharpness means don’t feed them rubbish or you shall be punished for it.  Conversely feed it well mastered and exquisite treble and you’ll be equally rewarded.  It yearns to be fed hi res acoustic tracks or tracks with excellent instrument separation; it wants everything to have its own tonal purity.  It’s not the most detailed driver but its low-end vigour, tonality and talented treble give it some highly impressive acoustic attributes.

Value:  They sound great, come with a huge warranty and they are built like a tank.  The build quality is stellar.  I really wouldn’t have been in the least surprised if these had cost twice what they do.

Pro’s:   Tone and timbre are excellent, build quality is epic. Strings shine.

Con’s:  Highs want to be too exuberant. Not forgiving of poor bitrates or mastering.

RHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone
By:

RHA MA750i noise isolating premium in ear headphone (with remote and microphone)Handmade dynamic drivers, machined stainless steel and a premium oxygen free copper cable; The MA750i epitomises quality and performance. Using RHA's aerophonic design, 560.1 drivers and a secure over ear fit, the MA750i excels in sound reproduction and a comfortable, noise isolating fit. Sound signature: Precise, balanced and articulate sound reproduction with a great depth of soundstage. 3 year warranty 303F grade stainless steel construction Handmade dynamic driver for clear, natural sound reproduction Reinforced, 1.35m oxygen free cable Signature aerophonic design 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips 3 button in line remote with 360 Degree mic. What's in the box. RHA MA750i premium noise isolating in ear headphone with remote and microphone Premium carry case 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips Patent pending stainless steel ear tip holder User guide

BindingElectronics
BrandRHA
EAN5060212270542
Feature3 year warranty 303F grade stainless steel construction Handmade dynamic driver for clear, natural sound reproduction Reinforced, 1.35m oxygen-free cable 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips
LabelRHA
ManufacturerRHA
ModelMA750i
MPNMA750i
PublisherRHA
StudioRHA
TitleRHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone with Remote and Microphone - 3 Year Warranty
Warranty3 year manufacturer's warranty