Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Gaming Headsets › Razer Tiamat 7.1

Razer Tiamat 7.1

Pros: Good for gaming and movie

Cons: Bad for music

This headphone have 10 DRIVERS so it's heavy and bulky headset

Gaming and movie (7.1 mode): enjoyable since you can spot location very easy.

Music (2.0 mode): if you listen music with 7.1 you can't not hear any bass. However, in 2.0 mode, the sound is extremly boomy and bloated.

Overall sound quality is muddy and bassy like a cheap close full can $ 50

Pros: Nice design, lights up

Cons: Very heavy, horrible sound quality, can't hear people behind or in front of you, not very comfortable

Before you read this, I think you should know that I'm not an audiophile and that English isn't my native language.

Let me start this on a positive note.

The design of Razer Tiamat 7.1 is very good. Even though the actual headset is big, it looks quite nice. The Razer logos on sides light up making this headset even more beautiful. But because the headset is big and heavy, it's not very comfortable for long periods of time. It just makes me want to put my head down and sleep.

But as far as the sound quality goes... It's not even close to earbuds that came with my Sony phone. In 7.1 mode, there is no bass at all but as soon as you switch it to 2.0, the bass eats all the other sounds. It's boomy and muddy. You can't hear anything besides granades and gunshots. In addition to that, all the sounds are muffled and it sounds like you're listening to 64kbps sounds in a big, long tunnel.

But that's not it. In 7.1 mode, I could  only heard sounds that were on the right and on the left side of me. I couldn't hear anything behind or in front of me. At first I thought that it's my integraded soundcard's fault. So I decided to buy a new soundcard. Asus Xonar something. I don't remember the full name, but as far as I remember, it wasn't bad.

The new soundcard upgraded the sound quality. Tiamat sounded a little bit more clear, but still didn't match the $10 Sony earbuds (Not even talking about the Beats Mixr, the best value beats).

I returned Tiamat to the store and took my money. I will never buy a Razer product again.

I just don't understand why Razer advertises this headset as the ''World's first true 7.1 headset'' that can produce ''crystal clear sound''.

Overall, I give this headset a half of the star for the design and another half for nice packaging.

Pros: Auto-adjusting headband, earcups very comfortable, stylish control module, speaker pass-through, microphone completely retracts

Cons: Terrible audio quality, extremely heavy

I picked these up knowing that they wouldn't come close to the quality level of my Sennheiser Momentum headphones, but needing a headset, I figured Razer's flagship would be up to the task. The packaging and control box were very nice, and the speaker pass-through dongle was a great touch. It's also rather comfortable, and the auto-adjusting headband is a pleasure to wear. The microphone stays out of the way, and slides up inside the headphones when not in use That said, though, the good ends there.

In 2.1 stereo mode, the sound is very muffled, with almost no treble to speak of. The bass is muddy, and it really reminds me of the sound you get from PC headsets that cost a quarter of the asking price of the Tiamat. In 7.1 mode, however, this reverses almost completely. Bass is virtually nonexistent even after maxing the "subwoofer" volume, and it turns into a shrill, tinny mess. I did manage to get some bass out of it by using the bass redirection function of my sound card (50Hz seems to be the sweet spot), but even then it was still rather muddy. I tried to use it in a game to see how the positional audio was, but I found myself cringing every time an explosion or some other loud noise happened simply because it was so shrill, and the positional effect was drowned out as a result.

In the end, turning on my sound card's CMSS-3D in headphone mode offered far superior positional audio performance than the Tiamat's 7.1 mode. Lesson learned - You have two ears, and two speakers are far better equipped to handle both quality and surround sound than the multiple drivers inside the Tiamat. With Dolby Headphone or CMSS-3D, a stereo headset offers far better performance.

Pros: True 7.1 surround sound, good isolation, retractable mic, can switch between headphone and speakers instantly

Cons: Bad for music, top band can be uncomfortable, can barely hear yourself talk while using it

The good:

- 10 drivers (5 per ear) allow for amazing spatial awareness when watching movies/playing games.

- The cushions on each ear are quite nice and provide a good amount of nose cancelling.

- The mic is retractable for when not in use.

- Allow for surround sound speakers to be hooked up and switched to with the press of a button.

- Can be switched between 7.1 and 2.0 when necessary.

- Can change the volume of sides, center, front, mic, subwoofer, and rear independently.

- Removable side plates

The bad:

- 7.1 has no bass while listening to music, 2.0 is better but it is still muddy and overall not a very good experience.

- The top band has started to hurt my head after a couple hours of use.

- I can barely hear myself talk when I have these one, even when there is not sound coming through them. That speaks volumes about their noise-cancelling ability but it can be a con since I talk a lot during some games.

- Only work with PC

Overall these headphones are a great pair for any serious PC gamer. Most of the cons I found don't matter much to a PC gamer. While 360/PS3 support would be great, I understand the technical limitations involved in doing it. The biggest problem is the horrible sound of music when using them, but that's not what they are designed for anyway. They are designed for games, and in that area they excel.

No member lists contain this item yet.
Razer Tiamat 7.1
By:

Behold the Razer Tiamat 7.1, the world's first circumaural gaming headset with 10 individual drivers built-in to deliver the ultimate 7.1 Surround Sound experience. Dominate deathmatches when you can hear incoming enemy footsteps to prevent backstabs and pinpoint enemy locations through gunfire with absolute precision. No other surround sound headset has been engineered to produce such lifelike positional audio geared for the ultimate tactical advantage. Total audio mastery in your hands. Set the volume, audio positioning and bass depth as you want via the audio control unit. Whether it’s configured to blast a full frontal wall of sound or scaled down to simple stereo, get the right level of intensity for your gaming audio every time. 7.1 surround sound with lifelike positional audio A world's first, the 10 individual drivers in the Razer Tiamat 7.1 provide immersive, crystal clear surround sound. The reproduced audio is so rich and lifelike that not only will you feel like you’re right there, you'll have the edge over your enemies. Let 'em try sneaking up on you now. Full audio customization Easily and accurately fine-tune the level of each audio channel, position, and bass depth to your exact enjoyment using the supplied control unit. Maximum comfort, maximum durability The Razer Tiamat 7.1's sturdy construction and padded leatherette ear cups ensure extended headset life and ultimate comfort so you can keep going during those hardcore marathon gaming sessions

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Gaming Headsets › Razer Tiamat 7.1