Epic Bass a real basshead can!

A Review On: Razer HP-1 Barracuda 8-Channel Gaming Headphones

Razer HP-1 Barracuda 8-Channel Gaming Headphones

Rated # 2 in Gaming Headsets
Amazon.com
indopler
Posted · 1994 Views · 9 Comments

Pros: Clean Amped Bass, Clear mids, Crisp Highs, No sibliance, dedicated subwoofer driver, velour earpads, inline levels control,

Cons: USB powered, 4 3.5 mini plugs to navigate, must have 5.1 audio, not mobile at all.

These are my everyday gaming and music cans for like 10 years now through two sets of them. The bass response is unparalleled with USB powered built-in amplification and a dedicated 40 mm subwoofer driver. I imagine to get the same bass you would have to buy another can with a dedicated bass driver, and some do exist from different makers, but no one did it as clean as the razer barracuda. The current offering from Razer Tiamat  7.1 didn't have the bass at all.  Velour earpads, leather sprung one size fits all, I find them to be almost seamless in terms of comfort. All Metal and aluminum construction. Lights on the earcups, but i dont' use those they are optional. I listen mostly to hip hop and other bass heavy music. For this type of music they are very well built. The bass in these headphones isn't muddy at all. Very Clean and clear bass with both impact and sub-bass. When eq'ed they really thicken, and you can turn down your levels so your music has just the right amount of extreme bass, and everything comes through clear and articulate without having to blast your volume levels to get to where you want. I listen at a comfortable 50 percent volume on the center, front, and rear channels with the bass all the way up. This way of listening is definitely ear preserving.

So basically what these are is mini subwoofers with a very audiophile sound stage, very pure clean sound, no matter how much bass there is it never disturbs the soundstage and never robs the mids or highs, they are separate drivers after all on separate channels. If you want to know how your music will sound with a subwoofer behind it like in a car or living room subwoofer, these will allow you to reach down to 1.5 hz, that is exceptionally low for a headphone.

In my opinion once you've had this experience with a dedicated bass driver in a headphone I've discovered in my limited experience there really are far and few between even headphones that have a bass driver but sound terrible. If its done right, its amazing. and the Barracuda's do it right. There's no going back once you've got the bass.

What other headphones do you have? If the bass is as clean as you say, what headphones could you compare them to?
^^ What he said.
I threw away my Barracuda yesterday after about 8 years of on and off use (actually it was still working but I got tired of it taking up space and collecting dust) and I have to disagree with your review - while descent for gaming it's not exactly something that stands out for music, especially in the bass region. It just has lots of sub-bass that makes the entire headphones vibrate constantly and the mid-bass is very very lacking, which can give you the impression that you have clean bass but the bass has close to no body because of that. Otherwise, positioning is great and the sound is very clean and smooth but that's not hard to achieve with no mid-bass to interfere.
I have owned Beats Studio, MDR-V700, sein hd280, utlrasone pro 900, dt 770 pro 80, and custom one pros. basically these barracudas make me stop using the others, they just feel deflated. I would have to directly disagree with the "no body" statement and no mid-bass. its clean subwoofer but not boomy. I have tried the Tiamats 7.1 also, but I sent them right back for lack of a good bass driver. even eq'ed I couldn't get them to do half of what the last gen barracudas could do. I have yet to get my dt 770's to perform as expected, its possible I haven't found the right amp combination for them and I did sell the Ultrasones. Tried with e12(possibly bad for bass:( I thought they were muddy and lacked punch, I didn't even break them in, foolish I know. They(Barracudas) vibrate from the quantity of good solid bass, they don't distort, and they don't rattle when they are on your head. Very strong sub-bass and punchy mid-bass like kicks. I should've kept the Ultrasones and tried more amps, but I felt like they weren't punching and never would was very worried about the investment.
@ kova4a FLAGGED for truth!

I appreciate your review :D but please do wait until you've heard some quality headphones before you label them Audiophile :3, I saw the review and clicked your Profile instead... not even a month... so that said. I'd write further reviews with the same passion but don't compare this to headphones you have not heard yet! And if you do comparisions, please name the gear your talking about.

In addition, I'm glad you like the bass! Still if your writing a review here, make sure you comment on the Treble and the mids, it's good to hear the bass is BIG on those cans but how about the other like 18,000 hrz of frequancies.

Either way, happy to see that you enjoy them! Maybe by next year you'll still have them... or you might wind up with the Head Fi bug and own something like the Beyer DT 770 Pro 80, or like me go from something like the Sony MDR XB 700 [which might as well be 2 12"s strapped to your head levels of bass] to a cleaner more balanced headphone like the Beyer DT 880 ^^

Non the less, as you start your journey here at head fi, always remember. Be proud of what you LOVE, never judge some thing you haven't heard, and always be open to suggestions
compared to the beats studio that offer a little punch at full volume and some rumble but not much. basically the design engineers for these wanted to make gaming responsive headphones that get a vibration and punch from explosions, but in my opinion makes the music so much more 3-dimensional. this is basically what you are doing with a subwoofer in a car stereo, but for your head. they are replicating that 2 12 inch subwoofer sound and doing it effectively.
I fail to see whats not quality about the headphones I've listed. I have owned over 50 pairs of headphones at least.
If they are lacking mid bass maybe kova4a you can show me headphones which gave great midbass, I must be mid-deaf because I don't notice these headphones lacking anything. but thats what you are insinuating right? lol at any rate 8 years is good life for headphones. something right about them?
.......... You are kidding right? Be honest, you have yet to own a pair of dedicated real headphones yet? It's nothing shameful before I started foray into good/high end headphones I had the razer megaldons and thought they sounded great, only to realize that they were poor in comparison to $50 headphones.