Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Gaming Headsets › Razer Carcharias  › Reviews › echoback's Review

Comfortable, but so is a pillow

A Review On: Razer Carcharias

Razer Carcharias

Rated # 7 in Gaming Headsets
echoback

Pros: Comfortable

Cons: Poor range, echoing microphone

This is the most comfortable headset I have ever worn, especially for long gaming sessions, but the audio is so bad and the microphone echo so frustrating that I cannot possibly recommend these to anyone. If all you want is something comfortable on your ears, strap a pillow to your head.

So, specifically, *how* is it so bad?

The drivers have very little bass, making them useless for anything but gaming, and poor at that: I like the full experience of the game, and when a machine gun sounds like a cap gun, it ruins the experience.

The microphone picks up the drivers a little *too* well. After multiple complaints from teammates, I made some recordings of what was being picked up by the mic while performing various activities. The mic clearly picked up everything from the drivers, from teammates' speech to background music.

The in-line volume control provides a flaky, inconsistent connection and has a microphone "switch" which isn't attached to anything, as far as I can tell, as it doesn't affect the input volume.

The headband and sliding sizers feel flimsy and loose, requiring re-adjustment once or twice a session. I can only imagine how they would hold up to actual transportation.

Overall, I strongly recommend against paying $80 for these, as their sound quality and poor microphone put them solidly into the $20 price range.

The reason that gaming headsets generally have no bass is because it distracts from things like footsteps in FPSs. I personally like something more balanced, with bass but not enough to cover anything.
On everything else, I can agree completely, and they are flimsy. My bro got them, they broke within a year, and I managed to fix them by opening up the vol. control and wiggling some wires, so they've got some flaky connections too.
For FPS games esp online you don't want a lot of bass because it clouds up the sound effects and direction position of footsteps and sound effects. Anywho I'm experimenting with a pair of these to provide an more enjoyable gaming and music listening experience but requires some extra stuff and DIY soldering skills for the mods I performed. PM me if you want deats.