Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › Ray Samuels The Intruder

Ray Samuels The Intruder

Rated #61 in Amp/DACs

Pros: Attention to detail. Great sounding amp

Cons: None so far

I previously purchased. An Hp P1 and loved it right out of the box. Great amp/dac. Then I decided what the heck. I needed maybe a backup so purchased the Intruder. After I charged it up, it was a disappointment. I seriously thought of sending it back. I paid all this money for this! Now I'm in my mid 60's and I'm sure my hearing might be going bad but I do know what I like and this amp just didn't cut it. It sounded like it was always screaming at you. But after a few days of use, everything just seemed to settle in, everything is nice and smooth and more than enough power. Great sounding amp.beautifully made. I am only using an iPod classic with these 2 amps, with a set of Grados PS500.
Ray Samuels The Intruder

The Intruder is a fully balanced portable amp, input to output, designed to drive ALL the phones including the most difficult the HE-6 by Hi Fi Man. The Intruder is designed to make you enjoy listening to your computer’s music files, in balanced when connected via a USB cable. By flipping the two toggle switches on the back panel toward the USB, you can digitally listen via the DAC built into the Intruder. The BALANCED/SE selector switch on the back panel is bypassed when USB is selected via USB/INPUT switch. It is active when INPUT is selected via USB/INPUT switch. The BALANCED/SE switch should be toward SE connector, 3.5 mm, when input signal is from a SE source. When fully balanced signal is used from either balanced CD or DAC the BALANCED/SE switch should be toward the BALANCED Connector. When receiving the Intruder, Please charge the battery first. If music stopped playing & the LED is dim you should charge the battery. The two gain switches are on the front panel. The HI gain is designed to swing the voltage needed to satisfy the very demanding phones, specially, when SE input is fed low signal via iDevices. LO gain of 3 MID gain of 6 HI gain of 21 You will always listen to a balanced sound if balanced output connector is used, even if your input signal is Single Ended. Both input & output connectors have identical pins assignment & they are identical to that of the SR-71B & the Protector amps.