Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › PS Audio - PerfectWave DAC › PS Audio - PerfectWave DAC Reviews

PS Audio - PerfectWave DAC Reviews

Showing 4 4-star reviews (see all 4 reviews)

Yikes

PS Audio PWD

Pros: Great neutral (Read not typical analytical Bitstream DAC) DAC

Cons: Moderately Expensive

Full featured DAC that comes very close to the performance of cost no object DAC's at a fraction of the price.   If the Network Bridge meets the expectations this will be the DAC for Streaming your Audio from your own Network storage device (NAS, Computer etc.)   Great flexibility. Allows a degree of fine tuning with different SRC settings, or even going Native. Then there's the Filter options, and that it will do anything up to 32/192 (Claimed). I can verify that it sounds marvelous when being fed 24/192   Few DAC's can compete with the PWD on Sound Quality/ Cost basis, throw in the Full Feature Set and I call the PWD a Bargain.
Mr.Sneis

In a different league altogether!

Pros: Best DAC I've heard to date, fully balanced, pre-amp capability, firmware upgrades, network bridge upgrade

Cons: Expensive, huge, not asynchronous, weird I2s

I sold my PWD.  It's definitely NOT because I didn't like it; it's actually a terrible story and now I really regret letting it go, especially for the price I ended up getting for it :(   I haven't owned tons of DACs like some on these boards, but I've had at least enough to tell when one is something special.  The PWD is definitely one of these DACs.  I would say this even though it wasn't the ideal source for all scenarios; when feeding my pre-amp, a power amp, or powered speakers it seemed to lose its magic.   The PWD by no means perfect; the screen doesn't seem all that necessary, it's probably twice the size as it needs to be (have a look...
johangrb

PSA PWD

Pros: Multiple inputs, balanced or SE outputs, very neutral, easy UI

Cons: Price?

One of the best high end dacs for the money if you can pick it up pre-owned. The product is well thought out, clean UI, excellent manual & shipping crates etc.   Not sure the accompanying PWT is worth the money  - although it works very well in I2S mode with the PWD. (I use an Oppo BDP-83 as well for SACD/DVD-A).   Very happy with this after owning for 2 months.