Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › NuForce Icon uDAC-3 - High-Resolution USB Digital Audio Converter (DAC) - Silver › NuForce Icon uDAC-3 - High-Resolution USB Digital Audio Converter (DAC) - Silver Reviews

Brooko

NuForce uDac-3 – Good things do come in small packages

Pros: Size, build quality, versatility, sound quality, DSD support, value

Cons: Micro USB plug doesn’t quite seat correctly, couple of quirks getting bit-perfect working

uDac-3 From NuForce (front panel) uDac-3 From NuForce (rear panel)   INTRODUCTION My audio chain has been very stable of late, my last addition being my HD700s, and before that my Studio V3 Anniversary (DAP) and Dunu DN-1000s.  With the addition of the Studio V3, I had pretty much solved all of my remaining audio requirements – good desktop system, good DAP for portable, good headphones – what more could I need?   Then out of the blue, Wolfgang from NuForce contacted me to inquire if I’d be interested in having a  listen to their uDac-3.  Having never heard any NuForce gear before, I was immediately keen.  Even more so...
MacedonianHero

Great things can come in small packages!

Pros: Extremely small, nice clean sound and fantastic price-to-performance ratio

Cons: None that come to mind.

I've had the pleasure of listening to many NuForce products through the years and I've always found them to offer outstanding price-to-performance ratios. Their products perform quite well and punch higher than their weight class. This time around I'm reviewing the really small uDAC-3 and all I can say is that trend certainly continues with this outstanding little product. Don't let the small size fool you, the sound that you get from the uDAC-3 is B-I-G!    My setup was simply from my Toshiba notebook (using Audirvana w/ iTunes) and my various portable headphones (mostly NAD HP50s, B&O H6s, and beyer T51p's). Right off the bat, the more open and spacious sound hit me when...
DigitalFreak

Sonic Diamond: The NuForce uDac-3

Pros: great performance for price, generally neutral with a tinge of warmth, plug and play, transportable, great for IEM's

Cons: slightly overly energetic in the upper mids (think shouty vocals)

Review below
Dsnuts

Big fantastic sound in a tiny package

Pros: Unexpected performance and usablility in a small package

Cons: Some driver issues it seems. Only shows 16bit instead of 24bit.

The new uDAC-3 was a surprise to me in several ways.. But let me start by stating where I stand for my own preference in sound and usability for sources I own.. Many of you guys know me for my discovery thread and we have many an open discussion about the latest and greatest gears, mostly earphones and the like on the thread. I think guys on the thread know me well enough to understand I like to spot light phones and gears that simply perform. To me it is not worth the effort of posting an impression or doing a review if a gear in question if it don't have the 2 main things that are extremely important to myself and friends on the thread. That is sound quality. Second of importance is...