A Great Budget Headphone

A Review On: Noontec ME3114-B ZORO Professional Steel Reinforced SCCB Sound Technology Headphones, Black

Rated # 48 in On-Ear
lin0003
Posted · Updated · 1182 Views · 0 Comments

Pros: Bass, Midrange, Price/Performance Ratio, Quite Comfortable

Cons: Slightly Rolled Of Treble, Not Many Accessories

Noontec is a relatively new audio company and are quite well known for their Zoro line. Previously they had been making media players and other stuff but as far as I know, the Zoro is their first headphone.  When I first read that their company was based in China and what it looked like, I immediately thought that it was a crappy Beats Solo HD (sounds atrocious) copy and lost interest. It wasn’t until I was looking on Head-Fi and the internet that I ran across Tyll’s Innerfidelity review which was rather positive. Overall best headphone under $100? I just had to give this a try. This was burnt in for around 100 hours before review and no change was detected. Sorry for not taking my own pictures.

In Oceania, the best place to buy it is from Noontec's website: http://www.noontec.com.au/
**Disclaimer** I am in no way affiliated with Noontec.

The 3 colour options for the Zoro.

Testing Gear
Most of my listening was done with a DX50, but from what I read, these don’t need a good source to sound good so I tried it with my Samsung Galaxy S3 international version and while it still sounded very pleasant, it lost some of that magic that was there in the DX50. There was more clarity, soundstage opened up and the bass had more impact and became less flabby. These definitely scale up very well to better sources, but they do not ned a good source to sound good.

Unboxing & Accessories
The packaging really does look very nice and the box is one of the nicest that I have seen in this price range. However, if you look at the Solo HD’s packaging, you will realise how much better it is, but I am perfectly happy with the simple and nice packaging. One gripe I have is that I ordered a black model and they did send me a black model but on the box was a red one. I’m not sure why this is but whatever. I don’t really care.

Not my picture, but this is what my Zoro came in.

It really doesn’t come with a wide array of accessories like the Beats range, but again, I don’t mind at all, because it has all the accessories that I need. There is a removable cable, soft pouch and last, but definitely not least, the Zoro. The cable does feel a bit flimsy, but being flat, it is tangle free. The pouch is soft and not offering much if any protection at all, acting more as a place to store them when not using them. While there aren’t a lot of accessories, the stuff that it comes with gets the job done and I am perfectly happy with that.

Design, Isolation & Comfort
I actually quite like the look of this headphone, but I don’t like that it is a direct copy of the Beats Solo HD. Wearing it outside may result in you looking like you want Beats, but can’t afford them so you settle for a random fake brand which is certainly not the case. I just wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing them out on a street, especially in school.
The isolation is acceptable, but isn’t great. It will block out enough noise for you to enjoy your music, but I wouldn’t recommend these if your main use for them in the train and the like.
I usually do not like on ears for the reason that they are hardly ever comfortable for me. My ears are quite small and most on ears sit on the sides of my ear, causing discomfort. However, the comfort of the Noontec Zoro is actually quite decent and I can wear them for around 2 hours before I have to adjust them or take a break from them. I thought that the adaptive earpads was just an advertising gimmick, but it really works!

Thank god these do not sound like the Beats Solo/HDs. Those sound pathetic and I am glad to say that the Noontec Zoro sounds substantially better. As per all of my review, the sound section will be split into 3 main parts – the bass, midrange and treble.

Bass
The bass is a bit exaggerated to my ears, but only a bit and definitely not like the Beats line of headphones. Speed is very good and there isn’t any bloat. One reason why I like the bass of the Noontec Zoro so much is that the bass never affects the mids and it is very controlled - no flabby bass at any time. At no time does the bass dominate the song when it isn;t supposed to. I feel like the detail is a notch above other headphones at the $100 range and comparing them to a pair of Skullcandy Aviators (actually decent) it was really easy to tell which bass was of better quality. Overall the bass is quite neutral with nice impact and good speed.

Midrange

The midrange is very neutral and not recessed at all like the Beats; on the Noontec wesite, the frequency graph actually shows a slight peak in the midrage. Vocals sound just right and not distant and the amount of clarity and detail is good, but not as good as more expensive on ears such as the Sennheiser HD25. I do feel like there is a bit of warmth in the midrange which makes everything sound just a touch lusher and have more weight. This is rather good for male vocals, but affects female vocals a bit, but not so much that they start to sound like there is a veil. Overall, the midrange performance is very good with a bit of warmth.

Treble
From the frequency graph, there is a massive dip in the lower treble and to be honest, I was expecting a very rolled off treble and a rather dull sound, but this is certainly not the case. Yes, there is a dip there, but not nearly as bad as what the graph suggests and what you get is a slightly laid back, but still very exciting treble. I don’t know much about frequency graph and personally, I trust my ears much more than a graph and at times like this, I do feel like the sound coming from the Zoro is quite different from what the graph suggests. The treble has sufficient sparkle and still has a lot of detail for me to have a pleasant listening experience.

Soundstage & Imaging
I’ve never really heard a closed headphone have a large soundstage, let alone an on ear and this is no different. While it isn’t very big, I do feel like it is large enough for me to be immersed in the music.
Imaging actually surprised me. I did not expect it to be this good at all, especially because of the small soundstage. On more congested songs, it can be harder to tell where different instruments are, but on less complex songs, the imaging is very impressive.

Instrument Separation & Details
Instrument separation wasn’t mind blowing, but it is quite good for its price. It struggles with complex music, but it does hold its own in the ever growing sub $100 budget headphones.
Detail levels are good, and if you are coming from stock earbuds or IEMs, you will hear some things that you didn’t know were there, but they do not have the detail retrieval that higher end cans offer, but these are only RRP$88.

Summary

Pic of the black Zoro.

The budget headphone world has grown rapidly in the past few years and companies have made great headphones and priced them more competitively. This is exactly what the Noontec Zoro is – a great budget headphone and a perhaps the best headphone under $100.

Comments: