Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 › Reviews › muxamed's Review

The best bang for the buck

A Review On: Musical Fidelity X-Can v3

Musical Fidelity X-Can v3

Rated # 17 in Desktop Amps
Quality
muxamed

Pros: Airy and detailed, good bass, addictive midrange, tube-rolling, discrete components, moddable, price

Cons: Discontinued

Buying a used MF X-Can V3 is one of the best deals I have ever done. This is high quality stuff easily compared to headphone amps costing three or four times the price I paid. The amplifier is using exclusively discrete components. It works very nice driving my Sennheiser HD650 and even AKG k701 and k501. The rated power output is 1 W so I guess this amp would even manage to drive a pair of sensitive speakers. The amp I own is modded with some new Panasonic capacitors and a pair of  Russian NOS tubes. I cannot speak of any differences in SQ between the modded vs unmodded X-Can but only the fact that anyone with modest soldering skills can change some vital components in this piece of equipment is a big pro to me. The moddability of this amplifier makes it a great second-hand value. Highly recommended!

The Xcan 3 was the best synergy I ever had with the HD650's. Really brought the soundstage and detail out.
It's a great amplifier and I really don't understand some modest reviews here on head-fi :-) I guess people are occupied with novelties.
v airy this lovely amp...if i get the chance to find the bigger bro, i might do it, the v8.
v8 should be a significant step-up. It is also significantly more expensive.