Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Portable Amps › Musical Fidelity V-CAN Headphone Amplifier

Musical Fidelity V-CAN Headphone Amplifier

Pros: Loud, nice quality even for $199

Cons: could have been a little less powerful

You hear what you want without cranking up your stereo receiver, how nice is that? Maybe if I had weaker headphones I wouldn't need this, but I have 3 pairs that starve with in my receiver. I turn the volume on my stereo to 75% for average listening on headphones and I could handle 100% on some albums. So, if you've been through the stereo and want to go big, this is good clean sound for a great price. I only seem to use about 25% volume with the v-amp. As far as I can see, this thing will grow with me, because as I go deaf from it, I will only need to turn it up a little to hear again (joke.) Note: since it is so loud, I tried hooking it straight up to a record player without a phono pre-amp. But it didn't get loud enough for what I like even all the way up. atsmile.gif BTW, this is not a portable amp and needs to be plugged in.

Musical Fidelity V-CAN Headphone Amplifier

The V-CAN is a genuine state-of-the-art headphone amplifier. Most high quality headphones have impedance of around 30 Ohms. Almost all headphone amps have an output impedance between 50 and 100 Ohms. Because of their high output impedance they cannot drive headphones properly. Any sound they produce through the headphones is necessarily coloured, with distortion and non linear frequency response. The V-CAN is quite different. It's output impedance is 5 Ohms. This means it will drive any headphone available with ease. It will produce low distortion, ruler flat frequency response and complete linearity.

BrandMusical Fidelity