Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › MrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)

MrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)

Pros: Midrange, Comfort, Depth of Stage

Cons: Stereo Imaging Width, Separation Qualities

Copied from my original review on Headfonics.  If you would be kind enough to post a comment after reading my review, I would greatly appreciate it.

MD6

Every once and a while, the Audiophile universe manifests something that is truly worthy of praise in the highest regard. Something to be revered and able to strike with sufficient power far beyond it’s own weight class. I believe that the Mad Dog by Mr.Speakers happens to be one of those rare gems. I don’t want to bore you with information in the beginning of this review, so I will start off with the Conclusion first. You can read the details afterward. That is just how I roll…#likeaboss

The After

There have been many attempted revisions, remastering’s and modifications of the Fostex T50RP over the years. Some have succeeded in the endless pursuit to squeeze the life out of the T50RP for all its worth, others have ended in absolute disaster after being strapped to a rocket ship and blasted off into space, never to be heard by human ears again. My heart goes out to any aliens who might stumble across them floating somewhere out there in the void, tumbling forever in the vast emptiness that eventually coalesced with other rejected T50RP mods, creating an autonomous-sentient life form hell bent on the destruction of all things. Thankfully, MrSpeakers has spawned an incredible modified T50RP in their Mad Dog. With great pleasure, I would like to say this headphone has made it into my top 5 favorite headphones of all time. Dare I even say it is one of the best closed back headphones ever produced. It is highly engaging, mid forward and boasting incredible value in terms of well-roundedness. From multimedia usage with movies and gaming, to classical and back again . The Mad Dog is one of very few headphones out of dozens I’ve played with over the past few years alone that I wish to keep for myself…and that is really saying something considering the recent wave of Planar Magnetic Masterpieces that were released in recent times. This headphone is not a specialist, it does everything well. In terms of overall price to performance, it is one of the highest ranking headphones ever produced in my humbled opinion.

MD2

The Gear

MrSpeakers Mad Dog ( A Fostex T50RP Modification )
Hifiman HE-500 / Audeze LCD-3 / JH16
ALO International / Burson HA160 / Schiit Lyr
iBasso DX50 / Cowon J3 / Hisoundaudio Studio V
Cables by Moon Audio

The Lows

Planar Magnetic driver designs typically output a more solid wall of bass with a liquid like texture. The stock, unmodified T50RP was lean on the low end bass experience and did not respond very well to Equalization. The Mad Dog responds very nicely to low end EQ via Foobar2K’s Real Bass Exciter DSP ( which is a simple, free downloadable add on for the Foobar software that offers a much greater bass output than the stock EQ function ). With this, you can really test what is possible with the low end of your headphone or speakers. Shockingly, with light toggling of the bass output switch you can alter the Mad Dog from a generally intermediate low end quantity headphone into a bass-heads delight. The bass is capable of becoming very tenacious, very solid and weighty with proper amplification and a bassy source. This headphone is more dependent on source low end quantity than high voltage output, but still remains a fairly inefficient set of headphones that require a high gain voltage. Via just my ALO International and iBasso DX50 combination for example, the low end experience is heavily lacking but still well within the realm of being lean even on high gain. Due to the exceptional bass output potential, I’d suggest a Cowon product to better achieve a sturdy low end. In Dac mode, the International really doesn’t have the low end to even remotely begin to do the Mad Dog bass quantity justice, so that is where the Real Bass Exciter DSP becomes a high value component to the setup. With just a minor increase in bass output, you get enveloped in a yummy but firm low end experience. Truly remarkable in terms of the way the bass is portrayed and exuded, so very solid, smooth and powerful without being overly baring or snappy. Gotta’ love that Planar Magnetic Bass. So tasty!

The Addicted To Bass LP is naturally a bass heads dream come true that mostly focuses on heavy Dubstep, fast

pounding bass and a beautifully scenic vocal experience. Definitely something you’d want to check out if you are

into the Dubstep scene. Tracks like Take My Breath Away, for example, really make this headphone shine and

reveal it’s true nature: something geared for a highly musical, fun and addictive experience. So satisfying and

never upsetting on the low end.

The Mids

I am impressed by how realistic and well defined the mids and vocals are in this Mad Dog. Well defined in regards of body, weight and overall presence. Most other headphones in this price tier will bow before it’s vocal experience, I can’t name a single headphone in the sub $500 world that can touch it in terms of both clarity and how well the vocals are physically reproduced inside the stereo image. Exceptional definition and forwardness. This is not a relaxed, laid back headphone. Instead, the forward presence of the mid range excels in overall engaging qualities. Due to excellent stereo image height this headphone offers, vocal experiences within the Mad Dog are extremely intimate, more like sitting near the artist instead of a front row experience in headphones known for a wider sound stage. Stereo-image height is very important to the mid range experience, in my opinion. Of course, the mid range is not as clear as something like my Audeze LCD-3 for example, nor are the mids as physically definable in the void of the stereo image, but they are sure good enough to cause the overall value of the LCD-3 and Hifiman Planar Magnetic’s to drastically depreciate in value.

Cynthia Harrel’s Snake Eater ( Camouflage Version ) is an exceptionally forward and spacious track off the Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater OST and happens to be one of my favorite songs. The experience via the Mad Dog is visceral, highly dynamic and eerily spacious in stage-depth. The entire album is jam packed with excellent recordings and highly dynamic vocal experiences that really make the Mad Dog Shine. Also Check out the Essential Michael Jackson Collection if you are into Pop Vocals. This collection is composed of restored hits from the King of Pop that sound beautiful in comparison to their original CD releases, shining brightly via the Mad Dog’s phenomenal mid range.

Bonus: Borderlands 2 is rare in the video game industry and highly regarded for its phenomenal

sound production.  This game caters to Audiophiles and whoever lead the sound design team needs to be praised and given an award of some type. ( Perhaps a free high end headphone for their excellent work, but not my headphones. I’m super stingy and will defend my audio gear to the death! ) This game is heavily dependent on sound-scape and staging qualities but is also highly centralized on character voices and interactions. The overall quality is unprecedented and something to not be missed if you are an Audiophile Gamer. With the Mad Dog, the entire Borderlands 2 pilgrimage is simply gorgeous. Truly, this game is an Audiophiles Playland. From Bullets to character interactions, the experience is heavily reliant on stereo image and sonic depth of field. Summed up, The Mad Dog is one of the best multimedia and gaming experiences in it’s price tier.

MD1-Title Image

The Ups and Downs

If this headphone has one flaw, it would be the upper region. While not particularly amazing, it certainly isn’t lacking either. I consider it to be a tad out of place with the rest of the headphone in terms. For my tastes, its a bit bright and snappy with cymbal high hats and fast piano key strikes. Treble heads look elsewhere if that is your thing, but know that the Mad Dog’s upper regions are still highly engaging and fun. I find them to provide a smooth experience so long as the track isn’t fast paced. Cymbals and piano keys in a faster genre seem to bleed and fuse together a bit too much for my tastes. I consider this to be a small gripe due to the original unmodded T50RP upper region boasting a noticeably inferior upper area experience. Mr.Speakers properly dampened the drivers, something that was sorely lacking on the original Fostex T50RP.

Takehito Yamada’s Kingdom Hearts Piano Collection is by far my favorite instrumental album along with the Final Fantasy X Piano Collection. Both are absolutely stellar, but one of my favorite tracks off either album would beDearly Beloved. A highly vibrant but slow, emotional track. It breaks my heart that this track is only just over two minutes in length due to showcasing the type of upper regions the Mad Dog works best with. Slow paced piano key strikes have an excellent and realistic sonic decay rate, in turn providing a deep, fatigue free experience. The Upper region of this headphone is indeed a bit bright as I’ve mentioned, which seems to get a bit smeared during a fast paced jazz piano track for example. However, slow to moderately paced listening tracks in the classical or jazz genres will suit this headphone nicely. Screaming guitars also are highly engaging, as are violins and flutes. Once again, the Mad Dog is showcasing it’s well roundedness by handling most genres nicely.

MD4

Sound staging and Comfort

Combined with a spacious amplifier like my Burson HA-160, the Mad Dog performs on a grand scale with regard to the stereo imaging depth. That reach out and touch the artist value is high on this headphone and to my surprise ended up testing extremely well with online gaming and FPS shooters. Borderlands and Battlefield are video games that are extremely immersing and engaging in the sound staging departments. Bullets whizzing by, characters speaking from a distance, sneaking enemies just around the corner are easily placed and spotted, even if they are not visible and happened to be hiding, unseen behind a wall hoping to take you out by surprise. No need to worry about those sneak attacks of your best friend trying to stab you in the back, the Mad Dog has excellent spacial placement of sounds. You will hear them coming. I believe this headphone to have one of the best, if not the best sound stage depth in its class, excellent height and average width. The experience seems set up for those who enjoy intimacy in their presentation qualities.

The Alpha pads are very plush and comfortable, offering a great deal of physical give and an excellent feeling of your ears sinking into the lambskin pads themselves. Comfy and cozy. The Mad Dog provides a very good airiness to the presentation with decent instrument separation. Scalability is phenomenal. Going from my International in Dac mode to something like my Burson HA-160 is quite a step up in dynamics, adding a fantastic and very needed warmth to the low end over the closer to sterilized feel of the low end via the International alone.

End Credits

Is this the end, or just the beginning? MrSpeakers has a new model coming out very soon called the Alpha Dog. Promises of a superior product over the Mad Dog seems absolutely insane and excites me greatly that there is even more potential goodness to squeeze out of the T50RP drivers. If MrSpeakers says they can do it or have already done it, I have no trouble blindly trusting them and placing my pre-order immediately if that option were available. I’ve not been this impressed with a headphone in a very long time and I can’t find any problems with it. The headphone is great to lounge around the house with and enjoy movies and gaming, as well as high quality music of almost any genre. Not many headphones out there can boast such qualities, yet one that costs only $299? My goodness, no question about it. The Mad Dog is my favorite mid tier closed back headphone of all time. Highly musical, highly engaging, highly responsive and useful in multiple media applications. Coming in a variety of cable options, the Mad Dogs scores a rare 9/10 Value.

Thanks for reading.

-24bit

Pros: Sound Quality, Build Quality, Price, Comfort, Detachable Cable

Cons: Requires good sounding equipment, brass sliders

This Review is based on the Mad Dog 3.2 w/ Alpha Pads.

Probably one of the best things about these headphones is the sound. I absolutely love this sound signature, and I must say I would have a really hard time switching back to a dynamic driver headphone. I may be stuck in the planar magnetic headphone world for ever. I love how quick these headphones deliver sound and it restrains it from producing over pronounced sounds. For instance while the bass quantity is far from a bass head phone (which is good for me) the quality of bass far exceeds pretty much any headphone I have ever heard (though I do have a limited experience). The bass produces a quick snap, and a incredibly satisfying punch. I listen to a wide variety of music, and Metal is one of them. Within Metal songs lately have a lot of emphasis on the double bass pedal of the drums, and these headphones are a blast to listen to when the drummer is whacking a way on the pedals. The presentation of the music is incredibly pleasant to my ears as most headphones either have too forward of vocals or too forward of instruments which often causes one to drown out the other. However these phones balance both perfectly to my ears, and allows me to hear the intricate details of both vocals and instruments. Techno music and rap/hip hop (sorry I do not listen pop) are a mixed bag for these headphones. Either the bass picks up really well and there is a clean sounding melody throughout the song or there is a bland sound with a lack of bass. One album it particularly excels in is Get Lucky by Daft Punk. I hated this album, as I found quite boring. However when I started playing these through the mad dogs it became musical bliss and strangely What is Love from the A Night at the Roxbury soundtrack is a blast to listen to. I will not comment on the sound stage as my current gear is too limiting for it but I have heard the potential and it quite good. Acoustic based music is amazing through these headphones. I do not listen to much classic music (not that I hate it, just not entirely my thing), but I do listen to Apocalyptica. Their Cellos harmonize so well and create a soothing sound that draws me in every time I listen to them. Other songs like Broken from Seether (w/out Amy Lee) and the Bleeding Acoustic version from Five Finger Death Punch also sound very very very good.

Overall this sound signature is probably THE sound signature I have been in search for quite some time.

Amplification/ Source Gear:

I think people over emphasize how much gear you need with this to have a good sound. Now I am not saying that these don't scale with gear, quite the opposite. I just think that people over emphasize what the minimum requirement you should have. I do agree you NEED an amp if listening out of an ipod. As if you are looking to run these unamped its doable but nothing special and you should probably look elsewhere (MD1R1, Momentums, K550, etc.). However I had good luck with using a FIIO E17 and driving these to a respectable level. I am currently using an E12 and I find these headphones incredibly enjoyable even with the added warmness of the amp and the small sound stage. I do not find the extra warmness to be that bad, but perhaps it is because I am used to a high end warm sounding sound system. What I find the most annoying is the closed in sound stage. I have heard glimpses of what it could be and I gotta say I want the extra sound stage and separation. I also hear remnants of what it could be on higher end gear and I gotta say it is incredibly enjoyable, hence why I am going to seek out either a Colorfly C4 or Ibasso DX100. These headphones WILL bring out weaknesses in your recordings or source gear.

In conclusion though I do not find that you need the best of the best to get an enjoyable sound, but I find that the better the gear the better these scale. If you are on the almighty budget buy the E12 over the E17. These headphones will eat all the extra power it can get. I do get a bit of sibilance on the E12 on 16 gain around the 3/4 point on the dial but that is pretty loud and do not recommend listening to those volumes anyways. I listen to them consistently on the half way point of the volume knob.

Build Quality:

Probably the only thing that Mr. Speakers has not changed. I find these to be very solid. However I do not like the brass sliders as it is hard to keep your cans in the same place use after use, and sometimes one slider will tilt to one side leaving an awkward headband appearance on the top of you head. I also find the ball like joints between the sliders and the cups to be a bit wobbly when extended out to far. Over all though it is an amazingly solid headphone at any price. I am happy that Mr.Speakers is now painting on the logos now instead of stickers (I hate stickers).

Comfort:

I could just leave this as BEST COMFORT EVER, but I wont. I find the alpha pads to be incredibly soft and squishy and incredibly comfortable with amazing isolation. The clamping force is perfect and can be adjusted. The comfort strap is quite comfortable in the way it distributes the force on my head. However the leather strap made my head kinda itchy. I came across another person who claimed that and some people suggested that the person either had a fine leather allergy or the length of my hair may be interfering with the strap. Either way I picked up the replacement/upgrade headband off amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it fixed all my problems with adding a bit of extra comfort (impossible I know). The replacement does not fit perfectly as the band is too wide, but it works well even with only a few clasps clasped. I did need to readjust the band otherwise the pads pinched my head a bit. It took about 5 min to readjust and I am more than happy with the results.

Isolation:

My one requirement for headphones is that it must isolate. These Isolate very well and I wear them at college all the time (while looking like a dork, I don't care Ill make the sacrifice). I am never in an area where I don't have extra noise plowing into my headphones or where I would be bugging other people. I get that people don't want to listen to my music and I respect that. If I had a good place to isolate my self. I might have sought out the HE series instead or maybe even the HD650s but I don't and that is probably why my end game headphone is somewhat limited at this point. My end game is most likely the Alpha Dogs, overall sound endgame is definitely the audeze LCD 3 but without Isolation I just can not buy them.

Conclusion:

Overall buy these headphones if you need an isolating headphone and you like the neutral sound signature of an planar magnetic headphone.

Kudos to you Mr.Speaker for actually creating an amazing sounding well isolating headphone. I really hope you change the headphone world from a near fully non isolated headphone high end to a few extra options for us that need isolation. I do understand there are a couple solutions but they are not perfect (too high of a price for sound, or should isolate better).  I can not wait to hear the alpha dogs.

Pros: Bass, Mid, Treble, Soundstage, Detail, Comfort, Build Quality, PRaT

Cons: Heavy

I've searched for a long time now for a pair of phones that do it all. These do. They have tank-like build with little complexity, and the sound is amazing. Big soundstage with accurate placement.

For acoustic tracks, this headphone absolutely nails it. Like being there. The electronic tracks sound amazing as well - tight, controlled bass, rich mids, and detailed highs WITHOUT sibilance, something  to which I'm very sensitive. The Beatles sound rich and full, and I can hear every breath and sniff.

I can't find a thing wrong with them. Take the comfort of the K550s, the detail of Beyerdynamic DT1350s, the musicality of Momentums, and the fun factor of Grados. Then add awesome bass.

Pros: Sound, comfort, isolation

Cons: Cable is easy to break when removing

Hello, everyone. These arrived yesterday, but I was unable to listen due to getting oral surgery that day. The suspense has been killing me, so here's a review.
The retail price for these headphones, with leather headband, is 315USD directly from MrSpeakers. Normally, I would consider this steep. However, I got them for a very good price and, after listening, would now be comfortable saying they're worth every penny of the full retail price and more.

Packaging: A boring white box with a sticker on it saying that the leather band is included. 2 pieces of foam keep the headphones in place. Inside are the headphones and a business card. Grado's pizza boxes are more interesting, but I've yet to meet anyone that cares about the packaging as far as appearance. I do not believe the headphones were damaged in shipping and they were fairly secure in the box. I will not take packaging in to consideration overall.

Build quality: As of right now I can not speak on the overall build quality. I would say it is better than a 7/10, at least, but because of circumstances beyond my control I am unable to speak otherwise. MrSpeakers, however, has been more cooperative than any person/company I've worked with before, even Sennheiser.

Cable: So far, so good. Near 0 microphonics. Seems durable. Hasn't tangled on me. I'm guessing it's the generic Fostex cable? +Respect to Fostex. Notably, the glue or whatever is here. That's a little dreary. The end entering the headphone is terminated with a 90 degree angle connector, and the opposite end is a standard 1/4 inch plug.
According to MrSpeakers, this is the stock Fostex T50RP cable.

Noise cancellation & Isolation: Pretty good. I can only just hear myself typing right now, with the headphones on (but no musc), and this keyboard is usually pretty loud. Obviously there's better out there, but I'd trust these on the bus as far as me not hearing other's conversations - or zoning out in a lecture. I wonder how much sound is leaked? Oh, my. Nearly nothing. I don't think a full sized headphone has ever been this quiet to other people for me. That's good. These headphones will do their job - mobile music powerhouse. These things beat out some IEMs in terms of how well they keep their sound to themselves (and you). I'm currently listening to a song, at average listening volumes, in a room I am not alone in. The other person in the room is watching the television, and it's turned up because they're partially deaf. My company can not hear my headphones nor can I hear the television (I can faintly hear it when no music is playing).

Comfort: The leather strap is nice. The pads are very comfortable and create a good seal. Comfort is pretty damn good - My HD598 are better but these are more comfortable than a stock T50RP and definitely more comfortable than any Grado I've owned. They also beat out the HD25-1 II, but I am somewhat unique in that those headphones were very uncomfortable to wear for me, where as others find them nearly ideal. To each their own.

Music test:
(Rig: Laptop -> HRT Muser Streamer II -> 18V JRC4556 Cmoy -> "Mad Dog")
(this is my standard portable set up)
I will listen to pseduo-random songs on these.
Artist - [Album #Track] Track (Encoding)

Gorillaz - [Gorillaz CD1 #11] 19-2000 (ALAC 16/44)
Sibilance is minimal, Bass sounds pleasant. This song sounds like it's supposed to - No obvious distortion. I like this song. Nothing is piercing. Hopefully this fairly generic song is a sign of things to come. Bass at the end of song is how it should be - Some other headphones struggle with the "WUB WUBwub wub" fading out. These do not.

Sublime - [Greatest Hits CD1 #01] What I Got (ALAC 16/44)
No sibiliance or piercing sound. Bass sounds great. Sound stage is impressive. The pan effect in the beginning of the song sounds fine, and doesn't sound irritating like it does on some headphones. Maybe it's because the soundstage is a little smaller than on open headphones? I don't know. I like it. It's pleasant and nothing's jumping out and hurting me.

Nina Simone - [The Very Best of Nina Simone CD1 #21] Ain't Got No, I Got Life (Nina Simone vs. Groovefinder remix) (FLAC 16/44)
This is a fun song. Despite me expecting these to be very analytical, they don't bring this song down. Nina's voice is good. The horns are pleasant sounding, the cymbals are not piercing. Just noticed - While this song has been some what sibilant on other heasets, it is not on these. The esses sound like esses, not like esssssssssssssssssses. Nothing is louder than it should be - this is pretty nice. The HD598's are pretty poor at this particular song. While it sounds amazing on thair pair, the instruments are sometimes drowned out, and when they're not, it's short bursts of piercing. I can get used to the flat signature on these "Mad Dog" headphones. Heart! Soul! Heart! Soul!

Leonard Cohen - [Old Ideas CD1 #01] Going Home (FLAC 16/44)
The sweeping isn't as loud as it is on my HD598's. Zero sibilance. Cohen's voice is very personal in this song (indeed, this whole album!) and this is really brought out. Nothing is too loud. Balance really stands out as being nearly perfect. The background singers sound fine, Cohen sounds fine, everything sounds fine. Very fine. Fine like fine wine. The instruments are ideal and the song is very nice.

LAB - [Devil Is A Girl #02] Beat The Boys (FLAC 16/44)
This song is rougher, by nature. However, it doesn't sound any rougher than it's supposed to through these headphones. Arguably, this is the only song I like on the HD598 as much as I like on this - for different reasons. The electric guitars are not piercing on either, but they're more present on the HD598. Unfortunately, they're more present than they're supposed to be. With the "Mad Dog", there is a much more accurate sound. The female lead does not sound sibilant. A good song, over all, and it sounds better than it ever did playing Fallout.

King Crimson - [In the Court of the Crimson King CD1 #01] 21st Century Schizoid Man (FLAC 16/44)
Sounds like 21st Century Schizoid Man. Some headphones I've tried have struggled to play this song. Soundstage/imaging is impressive. No sibilance. I'd be singing along if it didn't hurt to open my mouth (Sorry, I recently had impacted wisdom teeth removed). On many a 'phone, "Schizoid" sounds like "Ssssschizzzoid". The S being much more lingering and the z almost as lingering. On the "Mad Dog", it's sharp and quick. The bass is pleasant. The whole song is pleasant. The guitar at 3:40 has no issues nor do the drums that follow. It's all sounds right. I like right.

Journey - [Greatest Hits Live CD1 #01] Don't Stop Believin' (FLAC 16/44)
I believe this is the first song I've listened to recorded live through these headphones. Notably, there's little to no sibilance (Aside from where it's intended) despite the tendency for live recordings to not be of the best recording. Guitar sounds awesome, crowd sounds awesome, whole song sounds awesome. The drums sound and imaging is pretty good. This used to be one of my least favorite recordings of Don't Stop Believin' because of the comparitively poor recording since it's live. It's much nicer sounding, though. I don't think the headphone is "fixing" anything, it just isn't over exagerrating the problems.

The Silent Comedy - [Common Faults #05] Bartholomew (MP3 320kbps)
This song has a lot of singing by the group at once. It's actually pretty easy to differentiate their voices if you try. Despite the lossy encoding, nothing is bleeding together. On my HD598's there was more of the instruments (and voices) bleeding together. The bass in this song actually exists, now, though it's as it is supposed to be and is fairly weak. That's how this song is mastered - bass is just a whisper of a thump and more thump comes from the voices. No deductions for this headphone in regards to the first lossy song.

Daft Punk - [Discovery CD01 #04] Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger (MP3 320kbps)
I like electronic music, however, most of it is pretty hard to listen to on the overly bright HD598's. It's damn near perfect on these babes. Unfortunately, the clicking inherent to this song (or, possibly, my rip. I will try to find my CD and re-rip it lossless to see if it sounds better) stands out. I can't deduct points for that, though, because it's not the headphone's fault. After the clicking in the beginning (which is present on any headphone I've tried, keep in mind, but just a little more obvious here) the headphone really starts to shine. The 'vocals' are good, the whole song's beat is awesome, the bass is awesome, and over all, I'm beginning to realize why I used to listen to so much electronic music. Purists, kiss it.

Fatboy Slim - [The Greatest Hits - Why Try Harder CD1 #04] Weapon Of Choice (MP3 VBR)
This song sounds good. Nothing that isn't the fault of the recording is present, and nothing seems to stand out. The bass is present, not overbearing. I like Fatboy Slim and I like this song (who doesn't? I think everyone whose ever seen the video's fallen in love with it - Chrstiopher Walken would make a Dick Cheney speech sound good if he was dancing in the background) Slim's voice is nice, none of the instruments or loops are bad. No sibilance. I really foresee myself re-ripping some of these songs that I only had in MP3 due to low listening now that I can fully appreciate them.

Lady Gaga - [The Fame Monster (Deluxe Edition) CD1 #06] Telephone (featuring Beyonce) (MP3 VBR)
I haven't listened to much 'pop' on these. This is definitely pop. It sounds as good as Gaga's ever sounded. Bass is nice, synths are nice, and Gaga's voice in this particular song isn't totally unbearable (This is not the headphone's fault, just my preference). The song sounds as good as it ever has, but, alas, Lady Gaga will never be a favorite of mine. I can assure you, though, if you're a big Pop fan, you're probably going to like the sound of these headphones as they can handle it.

Yoshihiro Sakaguchi - [DuckTales (NES) OST CD1 #08] The Moon Theme (MP3 256kbps)
I was curious how this would perform with chip tunes. As expected, the song sounds nice. A little piercing, but better than it's ever sounded before for me. If you listen to a lot of chip tunes or VG remixes, these will do you well.

Pendulum - [In Silico #03] Propane Nightmare (MP3 192kbps)
I want to note that I could not stand this song on my HD598 headphones. Instead, it is very good sounding here. Bass thumps just right. It's fast paced and there's no sibilance or piercing. I'm very happy right now, because I used to love this song back on my now defunct Brainwavz ProAlpha earbuds. Now I can love it again.

Dschinghis Khan - [Dschinghis Khan #17] Moscow(English Version) (MP3 128kbps)
A poorly encoded disco track. Surprisingly, it sounds good. Bass is there, the voices aren't blurred together, and there's little to no sibilance. Encoding problems are audible, but not too much. This sounds fine.

Shugo Tokumaru - [Port Entropy #10] Suisha (FLAC 16/44)
Let's close the music tests with what is one of my favorite songs to listen to on the HD598 - Suisha by Shugo Tokumaru, a Japanese multi-instrumentalist. Everything sounds good. The string instruments are not lacking. Shugo's voice is more present. There's no piercing with the high notes, where-as there is minor piercing with the HD598. Soundstage is very pleasant. The song flows well and is good. I don't foresee myself taking these off and putting the HD598's on just to listen to this song.

Final notes: It's worth saying that the headphones have been on my head for around 2 hours and I don't feel any discomfort. They're holding up well, and, although they definitely require more juice than my HD598, even my relatively modest portable set up seems to do them justice. If I can get a hold of an ODAC/O2 (I'm considering purchasing both) for home use, we'll see if there's any improvement. They also seemed to run fine out of my iPod, though the benefit from the better DAC and amp was noticable when running from my laptop. If I didn't need to put an icepack on my jaw, I'd continue listening to these and enjoying them. I do enjoy them.

I will update when I have a mint pair on the build quality and durability.

A big thanks to MrSpeakers for the well wishes and interest in my opinions (as well as letting the warranty carry over to the second owner, myself)... and his interest in his product as a whole and my satisfaction. "Mad Dog" is the new Magnum, in my book. To hell with Grado, I'm a Fostex man now. No, I'm a "Mad Dog" man now.

TL;DR Ratings:
Build & Cable: ?/10. N/A
Noise cancellation & Isolation: 8.5/10. Never had better with a full-size headphone. Admittedly, I've not demo'd many closed sets for this long, but these are pretty damn nice.
Comfort: 9.5/10. The HD598 is a 10/10, and these are very close behind. They don't clamp your head, they look nice, and I'm all around beyond satisfied with comfort. In fact, I forgot they're still on my head.
Sound: 10/10. I have never heard a better headphone at either the price I payed or the MSRP. They bring out the best in music by bringing out everything. You don't miss a thing with these guys, and that's awesome. These blow away any headphone I've owned, and I would safely say they're comparable to the LCD-2 (which I have only demonstrated).

Overall:  9.5
(Build not figured in because of extenuating circumstances)

Pros: Special mids, good depth, very comfortable

Cons: Not for bass heads, soft clamping force, tricky to get a fitting jack for recabling

This review will only talk about comparison between the MD with Dog Pads and the previous MD (with Shure SRH-840 pads).

I found each version has their own unique sonic characters. So it's more to your preference. But it took me 3 hours of sitting down and thinking hard, before I finally made the purchase of the Dog Pads version. Here's why...

The 840 version has a more forward and brighter sonic, thus making the midrange (especially for vocals) very special. However it fell short in the bass section. There is bass, but just adequate in amount, which to the broader audience translates into lacking bass or thin. The Dog Pads version has an improved bass response. I noticed improvements in bass body and punch. However the overall sonic is darker than the 840 version. An inevitable trade off, I presume.

The midrange is still special in a darker way. The depth is very good, instrument placement is clearly noticable. Layering is also good, I didn't notice any sound bleed to another. Comfort with the Dog Pads is better than 840 pads for a long listening session. Isolation is great and leak is also minimal. However, it is still not a bass head headphones. The Mad Dog is also not a forgiving headphone, so mind your music's recording quality.

The Mad Dog with Dog Pads will still benefit from amping. For me, I prefer a warm sounding solid state amp paired with a smooth analog sounding DAC. It did not perform as well on tube amps (tried on Crack and Pan Am).

That's all, folks! smily_headphones1.gif
MrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)

Modified Fostex T50RP orthodynamic/planar magnetic headphones. Introduction from MrSpeakers's website: "We want your expectations to be unrealistic. And we hope we'll exceed them. When we built the Mad Dog headphone, our goal was to deliver a sparkling, musical and immersively realistic listening experience at a price many people could afford, without breaking the bank. We believe the Mad Dog blew our goals away. The Mad Dog is a really fun headphone and we hope it will make you want to rediscover your music library, over and over. Each headphone is hand modified and tuned to: Be super-fast and ultra-revealing Deliver exceptional channel balance with broad and spacious imaging Increase bass extension, while keeping it tunefull and tight The tech specs don't really mean much for headphones, but here are the not so gory details: Frequency range from 16-22KHz Efficiency: 92dB/mw Impedance 50 ohms MrSpeakers' Mad Dog headphones can be driven by most personal music players, including iPads, iPods, iPhones, laptops, PCs and other devices. It should be noted that we've come across some tier-2 brand phones and media players that really can't provide enough power to really drive this headphone adequately. To make the most of the Mad Dog headphones, MrSpeakers recommends the use of a good (or great) amplifier, DAC or DAC/Amp with at least 100mW per channel. The great thing about these headphones is that the better the source components the better your headphones will sound." The headphones had very good reception in the 2012 New York Spring Head-Fi Meet. It has been said by many who have heard both that the Mad Dog are a more neutral headphone than the Thunderpants, a popular T50RP mod.

Driver TypeOrthodynamic / Planar Magnetic