Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Cables › Headphone Cables › Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon

Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon

Pros: materials, audio fidelity

Cons: quality assurance, finished product, comfort, customer service

I purchased this cable with the connection type to fit my Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs. My UM Pro 50 IEMs already delivered great sound with the stock cable, but I wondered if it could be improved even more. With the promise of good reviews here and elsewhere I also purchased this cable. When it arrived I attached this new cable, but I noticed a few things in doing so. The connectors on the cable that plug into the IEMs are made of metal and there are some rough edges still left on the surface from the casting of them. These rough edges affect the comfort level of using these cables, since the rough edges rub against your ears. These cables are also heavy, which is to be expected of this kind of cable. However this added weight combined with the rough cast metal connectors makes long term use of these cables fatiguing to the ears. With the stock cable of my Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs, I could use my IEMs all day long with no fatigue or discomfort. With the Silver Dragons I could only use them for several hours at most. I realize that most people will not be inconvenienced by this, but for professionals who use these for longer intervals this is an issue.

The other thing I noticed when installing this replacement cable was that the left and right channel connectors did not have the same fit. The connector for the right channel has a very tight fit and does not wiggle at all or even swivel. The fit was so tight that I did not notice any snap to confirm a proper connection, so I wondered if it was connected. The connector for the left channel though is quite loose and wiggles significantly, to the point to where it felt like it would fall off. It plugged in with so little pressure that I wondered if it was really connected even though it snapped into place. When it swivels and moves I can hear static and audio distortions in the audio in my left ear. I tried reversing the channel cables with the left and right IEMs to see whether this was due to the cable or the IEMs themselves and this showed that it was because of the connectors on the cables, not because of the IEMs. Thus even though I did appreciate the improved audio fidelity from these cables, the static and distortions resulting from poor quality assurance ruined my experience. In the end I decided to use the stock cables for their superior comfort and lack of static and distortion. About a week after I purchased my cable they sent me an email requesting feedback and positive reviews. By then I had enough listening experience to respond and I politely inquired if these issues I mentioned were customary for their cables, to which (now two months later) I still have received no reply. Now I can boast that I have the most expensive spare cable collecting dust in my spare cable drawer. Until Moon Audio improves their quality assurance and customer service I cannot recommend this cable to anyone.

Pros: Beautiful construction, soft but sturdy, possible changes to audio

Cons: Mine has a cubed right angle jack that doesn't work with my Nexus 4 case; want to reterminate with the ViaBlu when I get the cash

I got my Silver Dragon in a trade, and am really loving it. I will probably come back to do a more in-depth explanation of the differences I hear on my UM3X between the stock EPIC cable and the SD.

For now, suffice to say I am definitely impressed by the construction. The cable is thick and obviously sturdy, but also very flexible and soft. All of the strain reliefs and connecting points also feel strong and are flexible where they need to be. Despite the lack of memory wire, the cable tucks snugly behind my ears and doesn't give me any problems.

I do hear some changes in the sound that I cant just ignore. The bass feels lighter and tighter, and treble is much more prominent. The overall sound feels less thick, and the soundstage seems noticeably wider; listening through my HRT Microstreamer, my UM3X made me believe that rumbling thunder in The Magic Flute was coming from outside; I've never experienced that before when listening with the stock cable, or any IEM, as a matter of fact.

Overall I'm loving the Silver Dragon and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to other UM3X owners; I got a good deal in a trade, and, being a lowly retail drone, wouldn't have purchased it at the retail of $185, but if you have that kind of cash and want a lighter, tighter, wider sound from your UM3X, give it a shot and see what your ears tell you.

Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon

The Silver Dragon IEM is a coaxial design using a 99.99998% UP-OCC Stranded Silver 26AWG center conductor for the positive leg. The center conductor uses the same Kevlar reinforcing as the other Dragon cables. The center conductor is wrapped concentrically by a 99.99998% UP-OCC silver plated single crystallized UP-OCC pure copper stranded 26AWG gauge conductor with 7N purity 99.99998%. Now that is a mouth full:)