Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Monster Inspiration

Monster Inspiration

Rated #187 in Over-Ear

Pros: bass, and sound

Cons: comfort, and looks

i had this pair and it used to get super uncomfortable after 15 minutes of wearing them. Honestly if you like rap, techno, dubstep, or hiphop I would go get the VModa crossfade LP2 for $100 off of microsoft.com because they are usually $140  on amazon.

Pros: Clear, detailed, tight bass, sparkling highs, clear mids, comfortable, premium design

Cons: Slightly expensive, heavy

First of all let me say these headphones look incredible! Some headphones need to include a paper bag to put over you head when your in public but not these, you actually want people to notice them! biggrin.gif Sound quality is top notch but maybe slightly too sharp, details are clearly heard and separation is apparent in the instruments. Bass is very polite and tight with no booming like the Beats line of products. Packaged very well. Overall I can say they are well worth the price and should be on your radar when looking to buy a new pair of headphones.

Pros: Very good noise cancellation. Removable cable. Extremely comfortable. Truly full-range. Stylish. Excellent sound quality.

Cons: Monster "brand" and former association with "Beats" made me wary, at least initially.

Dear AKG 701, I really enjoyed our time together. Our long-term commitment yielded some amazing memories. I appreciate your ability to turn heads, even to this day. You are a ravishing work of Austrian art and science.

Dear Pioneer HDJ-2000, our brief time together was a fun fling. I couldn't find anything to complain about, until one day I simply gave you up without a second thought. What happened there? Oh yeah, I forgot... I met a Monster.

OK here's the deal—last week I thought Monster = Bad. Now I think Monster = Good. It's that simple. My search for a pair of headphones that I can honestly describe as accurate, full-range, dynamic, detailed, and comfortable is over. After auditioning over a half-dozen pairs of cans in the $200-300 range, I found my ideal pair—and it was the last pair of headphones I thought I'd ever buy: Monster Inspiration

First: I think the Inspiration sounds best in passive mode, with NR turned off. Another pair of headphones I tried out recently—the UE6000 from Logitech—sounded better in passive mode as well, but was unacceptable in active mode. That's not the issue with the Monster Inspiration. Active mode sounds excellent. It's just that the Inspiration can take advantage of a good headphone amp in passive mode, and sound better than what the built-in circuitry is capable of. In other words, they are a great set of traditional cans.

In fact, the Inspiration in passive mode is so good, I have no issue with retiring my AKG 701s. They are thoroughly outclassed by the Inspiration in terms of sound quality. No competition. The fact that the Monsters can be switched to active mode and run off a phone is an ancillary bonus—the main revelation is how good they are in general.

After allowing for about 20 hours of break-in, I'm in audio heaven with the Inspiration—especially at-home and listening in passive mode through a Roland Quad-capture 2X2. One of the most notable qualities is the tight, accurate nature of the bass. In fact the sound is very similar to my four-subwoofer home system—not a hint of boom, just an uncanny ability to plumb the depths. Expansive soundstage and precise imaging is what truly sets the top-of-the-line Monsters apart from lesser offerings. The sound is never, ever "trapped inside my head," instead the Inspiration paints a properly-sized audio hologram. If the recording has depth cues and uses phase tricks, the result is surround-sound. If the recording is traditional stereo, the soundstage is projected forward. The illusion of sitting in the sweet-spot of a truly great stereo system is maintained.

After a lifetime of scorning Monster, now I find myself proselytizing on its behalf. I guess the company was "Inspired" to "Beat" the competition. My ears are very, very happy.

*There is a passive version that costs $50 less.

Pros: No need for an amp, booming lows, exaggerated highs, multiple cables, fair build quality

Cons: rectangle design sometimes isn't comfortable, gimmicky replaceable band

These have a very unique soundboard, and shouldn't be written off as some over exaggerated pair of over-ears.

I've had these for over half a year, and they are actually very interesting to listen through.  Everything sounds different, and crisp.  Sometimes the highs are a little muddy, but the booming bass never distorts no matter the volume.

Just try these, they aren't for everyone, but they shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

Pros: N/C, full bass, decent mids, fairly good highs, looks, accessories

Cons: Price, Comfort

These headphones are good overall, pretty balanced sounding and I have no complaints really. Just the price and comfort as there are obviously better options at this price point.

Monster Inspiration

High-definition audio with advanced noise cancelling, pillow-soft fit and changeable headbands. It's just you and your music, taken to a higher level.

BindingElectronics
BrandMonster
EAN0050644670848
FeatureOver-the-ear design, 5 interchangeable headbands Active noise cancellation ControlTalk cables Mini-to-mini cable Compatible with Skype
LabelMonster
ManufacturerMonster
MPN128486-00
PublisherMonster
StudioMonster
TitleMonster - Inspiration Over-the-Ear Headphones with Interchangeable Headbands
UPC050644670848