Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Monoprice MHP-839 › Reviews › sirylj's Review

Awesome headphones, very portable, just love 'em

A Review On: Monoprice MHP-839

Monoprice MHP-839

sirylj

Pros: Price, quality/price, detachable cord, okay comfort, awesome customer service >> just read review

Cons: Not the best sound (duh), build quality (read review for explanation though) >> just read review

This is my second version of my review for the Monoprice MHP-839 headphones, after listening to them for a while and going through their customer service a bit. (Insert picture is finally working).

Pictures (insert image finally working) (Click to show)

Packaging

Couldn't care if it came in a tissue box.

How they sound

I won't describe stuff like bass or highs too much as I wouldn't be giving an accurate review, but I will say that the sound of these headphones is amazing for the $30 I spent on them.

Heartbreaker (Led Zeppelin II) sounds great on these headphones (note: I haven't had all that many headphones though, and none over $150), though the bass could be a little heavier compared to what I hear on my computer speakers sometimes.

The second song I really listened to was Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin again, which in case you didn't know is all I listen to), and on my past pair of headphones and other cheap ear-buds the song has never been presented like it was supposed to be (heavy experimentation of stereo). After listening to it with the Monoprice headphones on, every left/right alternation sounded perfect, each roll constant and consistent (I could really track how the sound was moving from one ear to the other, reproduced it much better than past experience), and I had never really heard the song like I just have (gotten used to it now, and I love it).

Basically, these aren't the best headphones out there (obviously), but they sound great and are very worth the buy.

The ear-pads size isn't the best, and your ears can feel a bit cramped if you wear them for long periods of time (I fell asleep with them and felt like my ear was going to be torn in two), but they are still comfortable as long as you leave enough room on the headband (which is adjustable). They don't clamp too hard, but they won't fall off very easily.

A few posts down, TrollDragon recommended getting a replacement headband cushion for extra comfort. It's about $15 total and looks nice (can't vouch for it since I haven't gotten it yet), but it looks like a nice addition to these headphones if they don't feel too great on you.

original post by TrollDragon (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

Just add one of these for much better comfort.

Headband Cushion Comfort

8323's with new Headband Cushion (Click to show)

1000

beerchug.gif

Build Quality

Besides the fact that these headphones are plastic, etc., the issue I had with these headphones was with the detachable cord area. I was getting off of my couch while listening to these a couple of days ago, and the wire got pulled out of the headphones (which seems like a better idea than damaging the headphones). Well, turns out it didn't quite save them. Upon trying to put the cable back in, nothing 'snapped' in, so I got it under a light and saw that the PCB/driver where the cable plugs in was twisted at a 90 degrees angle and destroyed.

HOWEVER, I believe this is completely made up for by Monoprice's customer service.

Customer Service

I went to their website and went on their Live Chat function to talk with someone, and in less than ten quick and courteous minutes I was being sent a replacement pair of headphones for FREE with NO extra S/H fee. They were super helpful and responsive, and just like that they had solved my problems. It's a bummer about what happened to the headphones and that I'll have to wait a few days to get the replacements, but their customer service completely makes up for it. (FYI, my headphones were still in the 30 day policy by quite a lot of time, so I won't vouch for what will happen outside of that time, but I don't doubt that results would be very similar regardless.)

Overall

Just buy them. For the price, there's no reason not too. They sound great, they're okay on comfort, probably more so if you get the replacement headband cushion, and the helpfulness of Monoprice can assure you that your safe for at least a month, and will probably get quality help if needed down the road.

v.1 review (Click to show)

>>Few posts below about background noise on computer

>>A few more down about the PCB inside the headphones getting ruined

insert image not working, list o' links instead (used phone) (Click to show)

I'm still moving through about 5 more hours of Zeppelin (up to In Through In Through the Out Door, Coda-onward is left alone), but I can certainly say I love these headphones for the music I listen to, and if you need a pair of cheap headphones, these are a great choice.

*Like to add in that these headphones double very well as alternative speakers (loud and can flip facing up), nice for watching news.

Comments: