Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Computer Speakers › Microlab Solo 7c › Reviews › svyr's Review

exceptional value for money

A Review On: Microlab Solo 7c

Microlab Solo 7c

Rated # 48 in Computer Speakers
Amazon.com
Quality
svyr

Pros: clear mids, extended but not overly aggressive highs, pretty good bass.very coherent sound @ a decent price. look nice

Cons: needs a big enough room, sub would do better for the low end. un-eqed bass might be intrusive or overbearing for some, especially close up

I bought these to replace a set of multimedia logitech speakers after reading the IXBT review for these. You can have a look at the RMAA analysis on IXBT. You can also see what's inside the speakers on the pics there.

At some point it became clear I needed a 2.0 system or 2.1 system for music, and the corsair multimedia set I had was too V shaped for classical piano/violin + orchestra or metal and sounded horrible.
The alternative was much smaller monitor speakers most of which seemed to have problems reproducing the low end.
Long story short - the clarity of these make the corsair 2500 I had sound like a cheap boom-box.

I'm very impressed with the 7c and they seem to be fantastic value for money. (mine were used for $170, but I think new they're about 200-250)

These are active speakers and so have a built-in amp. There're also built-in tone controls accessible via the remote. To my taste - I'd probably set those to '-2 or -3 bass' since I think there's a slight upper bass hump that corrects.
The speaker boxes are made out of MDF and are very solid and they do look fairly pretty and at the very least not cheap.

7c come with a remote and volume control duplicated at the back of the speakers along with a hard power switch.

With very slight eqing I get a sound very similar to my Unique Melody Merlins, with better imaging. (at a fraction of the price)

These speakers are extremely versatile and I've enjoyed them greatly over 3 years with Rock, Metal, Symphonic classical or soloist + orchestra classical, pop or hip-hop.
The voices sound crisp and natural, the guitars sound crisp and so do cymbals and high hats (but not unnaturally so). The low end is very satisfying with a slight mid bass bump/bleed but that can be easily eq-ed out.

I haven't heard any background noise until more than extreme volumes, and these can go exceedingly loud (they're not small speakers and in smaller rooms your ears will bleed out long before 7c will overload)

A word of caution, the 6" speakers used for lows+low mids are not magic and will not be 13" sub level, but they're very decent for what they are.

Finally, they're not small speakers, and you might be better off getting their 3c version for smaller rooms, but I haven't tried it myself.

These do sound pretty nice! I often recommend them as entry level general purpose speakers.
at what price point does entry level end and you'd stop recommending these?
I guess it would end when better quality can be had by buying a separate amp and speakers. Some also take the 7C apart, mod the filters and convert them to passive speakers.
Btw, these do pretty well as TV speakers for those who don't want to mess with receivers. For PC near field the 6C may actually be a tad better.
yup. I'd agree for 6c you can probably easily put them on the table (in most cases probably a better sound field and less of a hassle positioning them). whereas 7c - noooot so much.

I think IXBT also posted the measurements for 6c and it looked pretty good as well and was a bit cheaper too
Here's the thing with these bad boys - they scale up.
My pair were connected to a PS4 using my dear old ibasso d10 as an optical source from the TV. No RCA in this telly so I had to make do.
And it sounded great. Truly did.
Months later im changing jobs and the balanced Audio GD dac and amp are back home so now I can run optical to the dac and not have to fuss around with the D10. Massive overkill to have a $600 dac feeding $160 amped speakers of course.
Holy. Crap. I didnt move for hours and these cheap and cheerful mdf boxes are now my all time favourite piece of gear.
M I still haven't upgraded. I'd love a sub but don't see it's needed that much (well below 40hz)

My dac is also still 3x the price
www.microlab.com/?r=Stereosystemen&st=full&id=693

Wanna try those.

Wonder if I can find the measurements
Interesting, don't think I want a 9c www.ixbt.com/multimedia/acoustic-duel-apr-2014.shtml. more vshaped, might have cooling issues and have earlier bass roll off

But microlab solo7cnew sounds good... remote power standby Lol

forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2214600

The other Interesting thing is my 7c is still working well. I think they're 5 years old now
NO! The 9C is awful. Nothing at all like the 7C. None of the 3d treble projection and magic and a ton of floppy uncontrolled "bass" for want of a better word.
My first set of 7C's started humming and generating heat so I thought i'd give the next step up a try. Bad move - were replaced with 7's the next day.
Melbournite :) Should have known.
CPL sell the 7C(new) for $169 at last check. Scorptec and MSY should be about the same.
I have the latest version - still need to bend down and power off. I get a soft but noticable whining sound when the volume is set to 21 and 27 as well but meh...