Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Metrum Acoustics Octave › Metrum Acoustics Octave Reviews

Metrum Acoustics Octave Reviews

Currawong

No frills, no options, just great sound that defies the fact that it is non-oversampling.

Pros: Great, non-fatiguing sound. Small footprint. Fantastic value for the sound quality.

Cons: NOS (Non-oversampling) so needs high-res files or high-quality up-sampling for best results. Coax input is only RCA. Only basic features.

This DAC came to my attention when I found a long thread about it on Stereo.net.au. While, in principle I wasn't interested in a NOS (Non-oversampling) DAC, due to their reputation for rolled-off and distorted (if pleasant) sound, some aspects of the design caught my attention. It doesn't use the old Phillips or BB chips that popular designs use, but industrial-grade high-frequency DACs. The designers also show graphs of it reproducing an impulse response perfectly, something that a regular DAC cannot do without pre- and post-ringing. These effects are, arguably, responsible for the "digital" sound that modern DACs have. Some modern designs, such as the AKM chips, claim to fix...
sbrian30s

My search has ended

Pros: Musical, enjoyable, involving

Cons: May not be the most resolving.

I have the Mark I Octave. It has burned in for about 2 months and needs that long for the character to fully stabilize. After ~15 years of trying to get music from CDs, I have finally found what I was looking for with this DAC. Satellite radio and CDs are quite enjoyable. I prefer this DAC to Schiit Gungnir (more detailed, but too aggressive which made us feel tense), Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 (very nice, but not as dynamic. I now feel that delta-sigma DACs are a fraud to which I fell victim for a very long time. I think that people who are trying to like delta sigma DACs have not heard this one. I cannot imagine someone preferring that other type over this for music enjoyment (I could...