best budget IEM for under 15

A Review On: MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black)

MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black)

Rated # 288 in Headphones
babyphish

Pros: price, value, decent SQ

Cons: smell of cheap paint/plastic lingers even after 6 mths

It's been a long time since I've gotten these. Before these, I was using the more expensive mainstream IEMs like EP630 and CX300 (which, if you recognize these, are actually the same **** IEMs) and the disappointing CKM50. When I got these, its like I suddenly realized there were actually additional notes in the songs I had been listening for the last couple of years! The clarity is awesome for a under 20 pair of earphones.

SoundQ:

Bass: after reading other's reviews and personal experience, I'd say the bass is not for bassheads, but decent enough if you can get a good seal (this is critical). Unfortunately the double flange doesn't quite fit in my ears so I cannot get the maximum bass intended by the manufacturers and this might be why I don't understand the people who say M9s have too much bass, but I did a earplug mod on my pair, replacing the single flange with earplugs for a perfect seal on both ends, and the bass is still at acceptable levels.

Mids: Basically, there is some level of clarity for the mids, enough for you to discern individual guitar strings being plucked, but in some other parts they end up mashed together and you cannot, not really sure how to describe this.. However overall the mids are much better than the EP630's recessed mids. It's as if my songs became brighter and more lively.

TrebL: Rolloff is rather obvious here, the highs often sound diminished. More distressing is the sibilance that occurs in some songs, especially for those with a lot of cymbals or computer generated treble sounds (think korean pop). For female voices though, these M9s handle them quite well, altho the sound can become a bit bright at times.

Microphonics:

There is some cable noise, over the ear doesn't totally cut it out, but the shirt clip, when used, reduces the noise a lot, so that you won't notice it when the music is playing.

Price/Meelec:

its an outdated pair of phones with Meelec coming up with a new series of earphones, but that just means that the M9 is now even cheaper! I paid 23 after s/h for these off the main site, now they're selling for about 15 off amazon. While Meelec often has much overpriced MSRPs, their customer service was great. Also comes with a decent set of accessories (altho i use none of them)

In summary, if you're looking for an decent upgrade from brandless earbuds without throwing more than 25, consider the M9s. These also come with a mic in the M9P variant.

Comments: