Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › MDR-ZX100 Headphone - Stereo - Black - Mini-phone

MDR-ZX100 Headphone - Stereo - Black - Mini-phone

Rated #48 in On-Ear

Pros: Forward, and aggressive. Very in your Face, Bass was nice, Price

Cons: Details, highs recessed, bass lacked real texture and tightness

I can see why so many people have these, ease of accesses. A very familiar sound signature and an inviting sound to most common music lovers!

Again, for the price it's not a terrible headphone. It's also very generic. Sounds like every boring stock Car Stereo you've all listened to growing up!

For the price and the looks it's not a bad can! [This is for the Sony MDR ZX300]

Pros: Frequency Range, Build quality ( Notes ) , Price of course.

Cons: Blaring Highs, Sound quality Poor is "meh" without equalization.

The MDR ZX100 were in my view at Bestbuy for 12 dollars and for such a price I of course picked them up and threw it in the bag.

Getting to the point, I have had these for a year and the overall quality is ok especially considering the price.

Build Quality - Although plastic, the quality is sturdy, I dont know what the other reviewers are talking about in terms of comfort because there is no comfort loss when wearing these for prolonged time due to their minimal weight. The plastic is no way "cheap" and will not break on less you intentionally step on them to break.

Lows: Hearing the subwoofer shaking lows with this pair is not going to happen, out of the box the zx100's frequency response definitely favors the middle to higher spectrum.

I cant say that bass doesn't exist, because it indeed does, but in my opinion it isnt where it should be. Think of the lows sort of being like that of a cheap Logitech 2.1 subwoofer.

Mids: The mids on these headphones are very prominite and make voices and all the "etc" sounds in movies and songs very audible. This is indeed my favorite part about these headphones is that the music does not sound drowned out and muffled by bass, but instead rather clear if it weren't for deafening highs.

Highs: Okay Sony, I guess.

The highs are hard to explain, its like having a horn tweeter placed right next to your ear at at least 50DB. The highs are extremely defined, and although this isn't a horrible thing it should be toned down a bit.

Overall : Out of the box, these headphones produce okay sounds for your ears, although I can guarantee your for free that it can be worlds better than it currently is.

With equalization, these headphones are truly becoming a grand value. Increasing the 10-60 Hz frequencies solves all sound quality issues with these headphones, it will tone down the blaring highs and the lows will be more audible as they should be. Although the bass still wont shake your head with an eq, it will be more pleasurable than it would be.

Basically, after heavy equalization, these headphones easily make it sound like it is in the 30-60 dollar tier.

Why not get them, They are 12 dollars...

Pros: cheap, decent build, good range

Cons: uncomfortable after long hours, not comfortable while wearing glasses

I've used mainly on-ear headphones for the majority of my life. I tend to listen to music roughly 2-3 hours a day, sometimes up to 6 hours depending on what's going on. I bought these headphones mainly because I needed a quick replacement for a different pair of headphones that I had unfortunately broke. I was actually mildly impressed with what frequency range they do have, delivering pretty decent mids to upper lows, but falls short definitely in the sub-bass ranges. They do tend to over saturate the highs, but that could be a multitude of variables so that's not something I'm taking into much consideration. I'd say the most impressed I've been with these is when I fired up the recent remasters of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", and the dynamics that these headphones were able to produce for the price was quite nice.

They are, however, quite uncomfortable after a good 2-3 hours of straight use (no adjusting or removing). I wear prescription glasses, and cannot see much of anything without them, so I do tend to at least try to wear them while having my headphones on. I have worn many, many on-ear headphones while wearing glasses, and being uncomfortable while wearing glasses is to be expected for me. However, these tend to place a little too much pressure on the tops of your ears, which in turn forces my glasses to dig into the back of my ear. Not a big deal for an hour or so, but after a while it definitely starts hurting. Now, if I don't wear glasses with them, I don't experience any discomfort, but I also do not wear them as long due to the fact I tend to keep my glasses on as much as possible.

If you're expecting these to sound like $200+ headphones, then of course you're going to be disappointed. But, if you're looking for something to just relax and enjoy some music for a short amount of time, they're definitely worth the price in my opinion.

Pros: cheap, not terrible quality for the price, durable

Cons: uncomfortable, cheap, almost no bass

For only $20 these are good headphones. They are something you could pick up on a trip if you forgot your headphones, or if you want to give a younger person something that they wont break and still will sound pretty good.

MDR-ZX100 Headphone - Stereo - Black - Mini-phone
By:

BindingElectronics
BrandSony
ColorBlack
EAN0027242801585
FeaturePlease refer to Sony's Dealer Network for Descriptions, Bullet points and weights and measures
LabelSony