Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › MDR-XD 150 W weiß

MDR-XD 150 W weiß

Rated #339 in Over-Ear

Pros: Ridiculously good soundstage for the price

Cons: Cheap build quality (except for the cable)

I was in the drug store to grab a bottle of Gatorade and saw some white MRD-XD150 cans on sale for $18 (CAN)... Why the hell not?  These are big, closed, around-the ear cans with a 40mm driver.

The first thing I noticed when I put them on was how light they were - 160 grams according to the specs. I expected them to weigh twice as much for this size. I found them very comfortable: even with my big head there isn't much of a squeeze.

Build Quality

Understandably, the build quality feels cheap (very light plastic) yet durable enough. When I pick them up they rattle like hell - yet somehow this disappears once they're on my head (your mileage may vary if your head is smaller). By contrast, the thick, smooth and rugged-looging cable and its 90° jack seem able to last forever.  It's nice to see a company that understands which part of a headphone is the most vulnerable... are you taking notes, Sennheiser?

Appearance

I wish they'd had the black version in that store because I don't usually go for the "big white headphones" look (this would better suit my teenage son). But I like to think it's a nice way to say, "You paid how much for those Beats?"

None whatsoever. What, you expect closed cans to keep outside noise away? Get outta here.

Sound Quality

Of course, we're far from hi-fi here; still, we have a very competent rendering (if a tad on the bright side) of the Sony house sound. What you lose here (and by "lose" I mean "spend your money on other things instead") is mostly punch and detail retrieval in the bass and lower mids.  It's hard to expect more for this price.  And yet...

Here's a kicker for you: these dirt-cheap cans have angled drivers. And here I thought I had to spend 30 times as much to get this feature. On the box it says this helps achieve a better fit for the ears - nothing about improving the soundstage.  But what a soundstage!  At first it seemed a bit one-dimensional (i.e. left-right only) to me, but after a week of use the depth perception has opened up, resulting in something pretty amazing.  If you're on a buget and listen to movies, you should definitely give the XD-150's a try.

Conclusion

If you don't mind the complete lack of isolation and cheap feel, the MDR-XD150 is a steal if you can get it as cheap as I did.  Very light and comfortable enough to wear for hours, great sound quality for the price, and a soundstage to rival with much more expensive cans.

No member lists contain this item yet.
MDR-XD 150 W weiß
By:

The MDR-XD150 from Sony are closed style headphones that deliver great comfort. Super lightweight, the MDR-XD150 are perfect for listening to music, playing games or watching TV at home. With a sensitivity of 100 dB / mW, these headphones have a freq

BindingElectronics