Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1

Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1

Pros: rollable tubes, cheap, lot of power, speaker taps, good sound

Cons: volume knob can be noisy, not as clear and silent as a SS amp

Don't be mistaken this amp has a fantastic value for the money.

If you need lots of power and speaker taps don't look further take this one.

The only thing I regret is that the volume knob can do a harsh sound when you turn it to rapidly.

Pros: Warm, smooth sound. Sharp powerful base. Clarity. Great price

Cons: Don't have one so far

So I wanted to buy a desktop amp/dac. I’ve been searching around not only for great price, but great performance too. One of my friends told me about Maverick Audio and how he loved his D1. I went over and was blown away by the quality of the sound. So I decided to buy a D2 and A1 with the upgraded tubes.

Let me say Ryan was a big help. He answered all my questions and not only that, but really quick too.  I received my order in only 3 days, which is really impressive. When i received my items. First thing I noticed was how well packaged it was. The built itself was top notch. The case is well built and with a brush metal finish. I finished setting up and I let it burn in for couple of days.

I have a pair of ATH-M50. I put on some orchestral (Final Fantasy Distant Worlds II) lossless and I was blown away. First thing I was the clarity and the little details I couldn’t hear before like the plucking on the harps. Next thing I noticed was the bass. Bass was punchy, but not overwhelming. Exactly what i like. I know quite some people who dont’ recommend tubes, but solid states. They are wrong. It produces a smooth warm sound. Not to mention power and the dynamic sound it gives off.

For the price. Don’t think any amp or dac could beat the price and quality it has.  Even tho it’s made in China, quality is 10/10. I know a lot of people are hesitant when buying stuff from China. There is sellers who sell cheap products and the quality is just bad. Ryan in the other hand sells cheap products, but great quality.

Overall, I would recommend the A1 and D2. Not only is it cheap, but the sound is amazing and you’ll be blown away. I am very happy with my purchase and let me tell you I don’t regret buying it. If you have any questions. I’m sure Ryan would be happy to answer all of them.

Pros: Warm and powerful sound, tube-driven phones amp, rollable tubes, powers speakers well, good build quality.

Cons: At this price point, zero.

I really wanted a small desktop amp for my bookshelf speakers but I also use headphones quite a bit. This amp not only offers me a great hybrid speaker amp bit it's a pre-amp and a solid tube-driven headphone amp as well.

I play my music from an external HD, through a HRT music streamer II and then through this amp and I love it every time I hear it.

All in all I can recommend this amp without hesitation and great customer service from the manufacturer is icing on the cake.

Pros: Powerful, quiet, non-fatiguing, invisible, well built.

Cons: For the price, none.

I got the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC w/ GE 5670 Tube. It was magic right out of the box. Surprisingly good bass, clean midrange and treble, great soundstage, no noise. Incredible value, incredible service, incredible sound. Used as a companion with the Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier w/ Raytheon 6AK5 tube, lossless music from a 13" white MacBook into Klipsch KB20 loudspeakers or AKG 701 headphones. Very highly recommended.

Pros: Ultra smooth and warm sound, rollable tubes, can actually power many speakers quite well

Cons: minor build quality issues

That's my detailed review. In summary:

The Maverick A1 is an excellent tube headphone amp for the price, period. The fact that it is also a good tube pre-amp and hybrid amp for full sized speakers is just a bonus. The sound is ultra smooth and warm, with a great low end.

The amp section is powerful enough to work with lots of speakers provided they are reasonably efficient. You get surprising volume in small to medium sized rooms, with the same characteristic excellent bass response, smooth rich mids, and gently rolled off highs.

The one minor downside is with the build quality of the case: once you take the cover off, it is tricky to get the screw holes lines up again. Additionally, my unit had a bit of a "wobble" caused by unevenly spaced rubber feet on the bottom. That was easy enough to fix but did act as a reminder of the low price.

Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1

The amplifier will have approx 30watt per channel power. It can drive most low to medium impedance bookshelf speaker nicely. It is superb for using on your desktop, in a small to medium size listening environment, together with the D1 DAC, you will be surprised how powerful this small mini amplifier is.