Excellent value, great sound quality at price point, good build and finish.

A Review On: Matrix Rip USB dac 24bit 96khz headphone amplifer DAC Audio Decoder 2012 new Silver

Rated # 258 in Headphone Amplifiers
Quality
gogogasgas

Pros: Can't go wrong at this price point - good overall sound.

Cons: Slightly grey sound presentation, no Toslink/optical input.

I needed a reasonably priced DAC/headphone amp to go with my Senn HD650s.

This amp/DAC offers amazing bang for the buck. I have owned a number of good DACs and headphone amps - is it as as good as my Violectric 200/800 combo? No way. But, teamed with a pair of rounded/smooth headphones like the HD650s, it makes a great entry level combined amplification and DAC solution.

Enough grunt (via the 2nd headphone output slot) to drive my headphones, enough bass (a little bloated, but I suspect that's the HD650s), highs OK and not harsh, mids clear, detail and stereo soundstage quite good. No real nasties. Compact and nicely made unit. I am running AIFF files via USB from my Mac. Would have preferred a Toslink input for my glass cable, but it's OK with my Cardas USB cable. Haven't tried high-res files with the DAC and I don't have/use MP3s or the like - just rips from CDs I have on my hard drive.

Highly recommended - great value.

Comments: