Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Matrix Mini i DAC › Matrix Mini i DAC Reviews

Matrix Mini i DAC Reviews

Dynobot

Matrix Mini-i DAC

Pros: Natural sounding, smooth character with nice detailed highs, balanced out and BNC digital in

Cons: Takes awhile to break in fully

I've had this DAC for a few months now and I think its pretty much broken in.  At first the sound is very open with a huge sound stage and a tad bit edgy but over time the edginess goes away completely, the soundstage settles in nicely and it becomes very smooth sounding.  This is a very analog sounding DAC with great looks, great variety of inputs and outputs top notch build quality.  Its a keeper.
Joong

Designed intuitive, balanced, and reasonable

Pros: user freindly design, robust and versatile

Cons: USB sampling rate?

It is really convienient and user freindly designed. Pairing with Little dot MKVII+, the sound is amazing for classical music listening. It drives reasonably DT990-600 ohm.   I have several audio sources, all of which are able to be connected to this many interfaces without swapping the connect each time. The LED indicate is pleasing and shows how it is connected and operated.   Strong and heat dissipating aluminium case is very good for a long listening.
livewire

Great DAC for the money

Pros: All the inputs, XLR output

Cons: Limited headphone output

I bought this used with a reported 500 hours on it, so I assume it is broken in. I really like the Mini-i, the soundstage is HUGE! (width & depth) It also has a lot of texture and airiness to the mids, instrument sounds seem expanded. Along with the soundstage, the instrumental separation is very good too, (most of the time) Things only seem to get "muddy" with a huge wall of sound. That is, many instruments playing at the same time in a crescendo. But that is also typical of many dacs, amps and phones. My only real complaint is that some of the highs that are not center stage are rolled off, or seem to be muted somewhat and put in the...
karlhahnert

Versatile, neutral Dac

Pros: sound, price, size

Had it in my rig for a few months, might have been unsuccessful in breaking it in properly but after much consideration my Kingrex UD-01 SE with the PSU unit stayed and the Matrix went away. I experimented with using the optical toslink instead of USB but the Kingrex still stood strong, which I didn't expect. Still, a good buy at the 240 something (not quite sure exactly what I paid anymore..).
rutze

too early to say my first impression is*****

Pros: small compact USB co-ax AES DAC

It takes a while to get really going. I was told to let the Matrix run for two months,to see the impact. It is my first trip into This sort of goody. So, watch for further developments.