Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Luxman P-1u › Luxman P-1u Reviews

Luxman P-1u Reviews

HeadphoneAddict

Luxman P-1u is a no compromise SS headphone amp

Pros: Sounds marvelous, fast warm up, runs cool, multiple input and outputs, precise volume pot for IEM, big power

Cons: Heavy, not the best K1000 amp but then what is?

LUXMAN P-1u REVIEW:   I just finished spending 2 weeks with the Luxman P-1u headphone amplifier from Todd @ TTVJ and this amp was a pleasure to listen to.  I just shipped it back two days ago, but if I didn't already have an Eddie Current ZDT amp then I would have been sorely tempted to try to buy the Luxman which ranks among the best dynamic headphone amps that I have tried.  Thanks for the opportunity Todd!   GEAR:  I used a Samsung DVD > Synergistic Research active shielded coax cable > PS Audio Perfectwave DAC > anti-cables XLR and RCA IC > Luxman P-1u > HD800 with Locus-Design Hyperion cable.  I also used my Macbook Pro as source via optical out >...
Asr

Very good desktop amp

Pros: Mid-range qualities (especially with HD800)

Cons: Slow impulse response, high price

Originally published on July 11, 2010   Note: this review is an exact cross-post from post #1 of this thread on Head-Fi, which contains some user discussion on the review that may be relevant to read: http://www.head-fi.org/t/501781/mini-reviews-luxman-p-1u-and-p-200 Intro First, thanks to Todd @ TTVJ for allowing me (and the other people in this loaner program) to audition the Luxman P-1u at home for serious evaluative listening. I wanted to participate in this loaner program because I've had a long-running interest in desktop solid-state amps for a few years now, and I also have previous experience with both the Luxman P-1 (at a Head-Fi meet) and P-200 (which I also had in my...
Currawong

The King of "brand name" Headphone Amps

Pros: Excellent sound, drives almost everything with authority, gorgeous to look at, balanced inputs.

Cons: Very expensive and not so great value compared to balanced amps that are available. Surprising choice of the cheap alps RK27 volume attenuator.

If you bought an headphone amp like you might buy a regular speaker amp, the P-1u is exactly what you'd get. Typically for Luxman, the build quality is excellent and beautiful to behold.  While I didn't test the P-1u, nor its predecessor, the P-1, with anything exotic, every pair of headphones I've plugged in to it didn't give me pause at all to think about the capabilities of the amp in the slightest.   Comparing it to the Audio-gd Phoenix, the Luxman is revealed to be very slightly on the sweet side of neutral, with more authoritative bass, but with marginally less smoothness and detail. It also doesn't have the massively wide soundstage that the Phoenix balanced did with my HD-800s,...