Logitech G930 review

A Review On: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound

Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound

Lux Nocte

Retail Price: 160 USD (You may be able to get it for a minimum of 110 off ebay or amazon)

Accessories: The box comes with a software CD and a round USB dock to connect the wireless bit to, as well as charge the headset from. I quite like this idea of having the mini dock. It is not sticking out of your computer so you don't risk the chance of it being yanked out accidentally. The software is a whole different story that I will get to.

Build Quality: The cans have a very nice hard leather feel. The buttons are just a bit resistant though. Connecting the speakers to the headband is a strong glossy plastic piece, but the hinges that connect the pieces feel quite weak, like they will break off. The headband is a mat plastic with foam on it. The ear cups are made of a more stiff type of foam. Overall when putting them on and adjusting them correctly, they feel like air, it is absolutely stunning comfort. After a few hours of hardcore gaming, though, they can get pretty warm and I need to loosen them a bit.

The thing is pretty much resistant to fingerprints, but I've found that the microphone piece hogs quite a bit of them. I've also never had a single problem with the wireless connection. It is very quick and responsive, you don't notice any kind of desync with the game. The charge length lives up to it's advertisment. You can pull twelve hours out of the thing on a single one or two hour charge.

Isolation: This headset leaks very badly, but you can't hear a thing on the outside when sound is on.

Software: Before we go on to sound, we need to talk about the software. Logitech was never usually amazing with software, and that fact does not change in this case. First of all, the Surround Sound and the equalizer can not be activated without the software. The Equalizer makes sense, but I don't understand why they make surround sound optional considering it is not that good without it on (Will get to that in sound part of this review) The equalizer is quite nice, and you are able to change the volume in all seven directions individually, which I found brilliant. And then comes the huge BUT. The software is terrible. It crashes all the time and is not responsive at times. Sometimes when I activate my surround sound, it does not work correctly and I need to reset the software. Even worse, the headsets volume wheel is linked to the software, and you can not use it without the software. If you are using up a chunk of CPU, the volume wheel will be completely irresponsive. So what do you do? Keep scrolling it until it decides to work. Then the sound jumps to a massive amptitude and you throw the headphones at your monitor in shock. If the volume wheel stays irresponsive, you need to reset the software. I love the idea of having the volume wheel on these headphones. I don't need to exit my game and open the volume menu to adjust the settings. But the software has driven me to do that because I don't even want it turned on because of how terrible it is. The thing will even crackle if you are on 4GB of RAM and watching a video on the internet. You can only listen to a video without the crackeling, and that is with and without the software.

The sound: The sound on these are very good, and, if you get passed the annoying software, you can adjust the equalizer that comes with it and get some great deep bass. It does not vibrate, not for an extreme basshead, but it is very desent. The midrange is absolutely wonderful, not just for gaming, but for music, and it does a good job of filtering those high-pitched sounds that can hurt your ears when glass breaks in a game. My only problem with the sound is that the surround sound can become very unbalanced in games, especially without the software. If there is a character to your right speaking and nothing to the left, all you hear is the right side of the headphones and maybe some low ambience in the left cup. I absolutely hate that feeling of unbalanced surround sound. Some people may enjoy it, but it is just not good with my ears. I still want to hear it at a lower volume on my other ear.

Despite all my problems with the software and Surround Sound, these are not bad headphones. They feel good, sound good, the build quality makes up for the price.

But if you don't mind lugging around some hardware, the Tritton AX Pro would be a better choice.

I used to have these for gaming. Somewhat over priced IMO, but I have never thought expensive mics were justified in their prices. The mic is pretty average and it's nothing that can't be found on another headset that costs 1/4 of the price. When I switched over from my old mic to this one nobody could tell the difference in voice quality. As for music, I would never use these for music but that's just me. I kind of found the bass especially to be very lacking and it easily gets distorted. The one thing I will give the G930 is convenience. The fact that it's wireless is pretty awesome and it's one less chord you have to worry about. I found myself using the buttons and volume scroller on the side pretty frequently too so there's another +1. All in all, I would say they would be a lot better if they cost 80 or 90 bucks but at $160 it fails to deliver as you would expect.
I forgot to mention that. The microphone is nothing special at all. "Voice focusing" my ass.
I agree and disagree with a lot of the points.
I completely reset my laptop to factory default every 6 months.
Originally I had an issue where there was crackling in the sound which you'll see a lot about on the forums. Though, after reseting, I never had a problem so I assume it was an old conflicting driver.
The sound quality was decent.
The isolation was also very good, I never noticed the leaking and nobody ever mentioned it to me.
The earpads were quite comfortable but the foam on the headband would press down on one specific spot on my head and cause massive discomfort if not loosened.
As for the software, I never had an issue with it. Also, volume adjustment would be a driver issue, not software. I could still adjust the volume without the software being open using the wheel. It's true you need the software open to use the surround sound or equalizer which is a bit annoying.
I found the build quality to be very high. I never once felt like they were going to break.
Never had an issue with the software.

Not sure where you're getting the idea that the mids are great, because they're probably the worst part of the sound signature.
Very recessed. Hollow sounding. There are no AD700's, but they're wireless so I can't complain.
I have been using the Logitech Gaming Software [Software for the G930] for 4+ years now? It has come along quite a bit and now it's amazing. No issue with crashes or buttons failing to work. I do not believe there is an automatic update software for it, but I highly recommend always keeping it update.