Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound

Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound

Rated #323 in Over-Ear

Pros: Wireless, Circumaural, Macro Keys

Cons: Audio Quality

I purchased these because my original gaming headset have been attacked by my rabbit.

I understand that you make sacrifices when you purchase a wireless headset. I'm not a huge fan of this headset, but it gets the job done and I've come to terms with that. Yes, it is true that you need the software running in order to use the surroundsound and also to equalize the headset. I've never had a problem with the software Equalizing the headset is a must, I found that the mids are very recessed. It's difficult to describe in what ways in regards to audio quality that this headset is lacking. It can be kind of hollow sounding at times and also the surround sound may be regarded by some as a gimmick. You're better off going with the AD 700 if you want a very high quality high satisfaction audio experience with gaming. The reason why I purchased these instead of those was simply because of the microphone and wireless, I didn't want to modify a microphone on to that.

Retail Price: 160 USD (You may be able to get it for a minimum of 110 off ebay or amazon)

Accessories: The box comes with a software CD and a round USB dock to connect the wireless bit to, as well as charge the headset from. I quite like this idea of having the mini dock. It is not sticking out of your computer so you don't risk the chance of it being yanked out accidentally. The software is a whole different story that I will get to.

Build Quality: The cans have a very nice hard leather feel. The buttons are just a bit resistant though. Connecting the speakers to the headband is a strong glossy plastic piece, but the hinges that connect the pieces feel quite weak, like they will break off. The headband is a mat plastic with foam on it. The ear cups are made of a more stiff type of foam. Overall when putting them on and adjusting them correctly, they feel like air, it is absolutely stunning comfort. After a few hours of hardcore gaming, though, they can get pretty warm and I need to loosen them a bit.

The thing is pretty much resistant to fingerprints, but I've found that the microphone piece hogs quite a bit of them. I've also never had a single problem with the wireless connection. It is very quick and responsive, you don't notice any kind of desync with the game. The charge length lives up to it's advertisment. You can pull twelve hours out of the thing on a single one or two hour charge.

Isolation: This headset leaks very badly, but you can't hear a thing on the outside when sound is on.

Software: Before we go on to sound, we need to talk about the software. Logitech was never usually amazing with software, and that fact does not change in this case. First of all, the Surround Sound and the equalizer can not be activated without the software. The Equalizer makes sense, but I don't understand why they make surround sound optional considering it is not that good without it on (Will get to that in sound part of this review) The equalizer is quite nice, and you are able to change the volume in all seven directions individually, which I found brilliant. And then comes the huge BUT. The software is terrible. It crashes all the time and is not responsive at times. Sometimes when I activate my surround sound, it does not work correctly and I need to reset the software. Even worse, the headsets volume wheel is linked to the software, and you can not use it without the software. If you are using up a chunk of CPU, the volume wheel will be completely irresponsive. So what do you do? Keep scrolling it until it decides to work. Then the sound jumps to a massive amptitude and you throw the headphones at your monitor in shock. If the volume wheel stays irresponsive, you need to reset the software. I love the idea of having the volume wheel on these headphones. I don't need to exit my game and open the volume menu to adjust the settings. But the software has driven me to do that because I don't even want it turned on because of how terrible it is. The thing will even crackle if you are on 4GB of RAM and watching a video on the internet. You can only listen to a video without the crackeling, and that is with and without the software.

The sound: The sound on these are very good, and, if you get passed the annoying software, you can adjust the equalizer that comes with it and get some great deep bass. It does not vibrate, not for an extreme basshead, but it is very desent. The midrange is absolutely wonderful, not just for gaming, but for music, and it does a good job of filtering those high-pitched sounds that can hurt your ears when glass breaks in a game. My only problem with the sound is that the surround sound can become very unbalanced in games, especially without the software. If there is a character to your right speaking and nothing to the left, all you hear is the right side of the headphones and maybe some low ambience in the left cup. I absolutely hate that feeling of unbalanced surround sound. Some people may enjoy it, but it is just not good with my ears. I still want to hear it at a lower volume on my other ear.

Despite all my problems with the software and Surround Sound, these are not bad headphones. They feel good, sound good, the build quality makes up for the price.

But if you don't mind lugging around some hardware, the Tritton AX Pro would be a better choice.

Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound

Logitech wireless gaming headset g930. a fast wireless connection lets you level up without being tied down-and 7.1 surround sound puts you right in the middle of the action.

BindingElectronics