Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Logitech UE 900

Logitech UE 900

Rated #17 in Universal Fit

Pros: Comfort and Fit, Soundstage, Detail, Deep bass, SQ

Cons: Putting them on for the first time was a real challenge

Switched to these from a TDK BA200 and the difference is phenomenal. I only paid about 80quid more for these than the BA200 with all the discounted sets appearing here and there. The first thing I noticed after getting a good fit was the immense soundstage. They are very detailed and clear in reproducing music, but are rather lenient on most lower quality mp3 recordings. This is a plus for me as I tend to listen to lower quality files. When my music shuffles upon a good recording however, the soundstage is really captivating. Best IEM's I have ever owned/tested.

Pros: Good bass, nice and warm mids, smooth treble, decent layering and sounstage. Appealing looks.

Cons: Very fit dependent, cable swivels and memory wire doesn't hold its shape. Doesn't feel like $400 iems.

First of all. I'm going to review these based on my listening experiences using a 100 Ohm adapter or from the Out2 of my BH. My pinholes are about 2/3 - 3/4 blocked. I'm using meelec balanced dual flanges and I have elongated the nozzle of my right housing with the tube from a comply TS500. For me that's the best sound I can get from them.

These feel like they don't need any formal introduction. As the follow up and replacement to one of the most renowned iems on the planet, the TF10, they have a lot to live up to. I've never heard the TF10. The UE900 were actually my first real iem-crush. From the moment I saw them I knew that I would buy them. With every review I read I knew that they were probably not the best price/performance and certainly not the best build quality for the price. Before I bought them I knew that I wanted more of a neutral sound with extended treble. http://rinchoi.blogspot.se/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html That link is probably what tipped me and made me pull the trigger. A choice that I don't regret.

Build, package, comfort: The included package is good. The best part of it is the airline attenuator. If you don't like bloated bass and veiled mids, it will be your best friend. Included tips are great if you can get a good fit. For me they're too short. I also don't fancy the comply tips with the UE900 as it takes away a bit of the treble extension from an iem with already smooth treble. Sonically I think that the small auvios are the best but fit wise the meelec balanced tips are in a league of their own. They are comfortable enough for me and once I have them in, they stay there but be prepared to do some tip rolling.

Sound: The stock UE900 I would describe as warm, bloated bass, veiled mids, slightly recessed but smooth treble. That's according to my preferences. But overall a good tuning for mainstream music. Very consumer friendly. The good part begins here.

With (partially) blocked pinholes and 100 Ohm adapter: The sound is mostly neutral but on the laid back and warm side. The bass is solid and not bloated or boomy. May not be enough for some. It's decent in speed and texture. Faster than GR07 but slower than something like R-50. There is a healthy amount of sub bass but less than both GR07 and R-50 but more than Re0. There is no bleed into the mids apparent to my ears.

The mids are smooth but still retain a good bite in electric guitars. They are pretty relaxed and a bit warm. Again I'd place them in between GR07 and R-50. Some might say that there's not enough edge to violins, higher pitched piano notes etc. I'd say that it's just right. Not dark, not bright, not grainy or edgy, just smooth but still well defined.

The treble is... smooth (surprise!) and well extended. It rarely exhibits any sibilance even in a bit harsher recordings. So a good balance and no glaring peaks. It lacks the air and presence that the Re0 has but it's way easier to listen to.

Imaging and soundstage is decent at the price. It's not the biggest sounding. I suspect that it actually sounds bigger without the adapter. But for me the bloat makes it a big no-no. A quality that the UE900 has is to place two instruments at almost the exact same spot but still separate them well. Maybe it's my ears that are untrained but I find it intriguing. The layering is decent at the price as well. It looses out to ASG-2 (especially if EQ'ed) which beats it in both soundstage size and separation.

Out of BH(2) Output 2: Now this is where it gets really interesting. Compared to the stock UE900 it's almost a u-turn. The treble becomes more present, the extension increases. The soundstage gets more hemispheric or circular. Within that sphere the layering is excellent. Then there's like an elliptical orbit of sounds. It's bigger than the more spherical inner circle. In between these two there is little to no layering. It's a bit like electron shells. (The simplified version.) The sound gets a bit colder and more analytical, the bass body disappears slightly compared to only 100 Ohm adapter. Now the good part is. If you own a BH(2) you don't have to block the pinholes which should bring the bass impact to the level of blocked pinholes and 100 Ohm adapter. The BH pretty much takes away the bloat and veiling without blocking the pinhole. This is a more aggressive tuning but the way the treble is presented is to my ears almost flawless. Detailed and with great presence in the upper treble but without the harshness.

My ratings:

Build quality (adjusted for price): 3/5

Handling (fit): 3/5

Comfort: 4/5

Stock sound: ~8/10

With 100 Ohm adapter: ~9,3/10

BH(2) Output2: ~9,4/10

The best quality that the UE900 has with blocked pinholes and 100 Ohm adapter is that it just sounds good with anything you throw at it. It's not extremely picky with recordings. It's not a sibilance monster. It's not a bass monster. It's just a good iem that lets you listen to any music you want to. It doesn't present it in any unique way like ASG-2 or CK100Pro do. For me as a Swede. It's just "lagom" (which means not too little, not too much, with an undertone of this is the perfect amount).

Pros: Fantastic sound quality, strong bass, clear mids, crip highs, looks like a piece of jewelery.

Cons: its always a bit of a mission to put on, a pit too pricey (i got them with military discount though), the cord doesnt feel very good, foam earbuds rip

what can i say, the first serious IEM i ever owned. makes all the other IEMs I've ever listened to sound like ****, and i pack some decent sounds (XBA-3,XBA-4, EX1000)

I had wants to try these earphones for a while, an I am gla that I picked them up. sound quality and clarity is fantastic, really fantastic. if I had one poor note on these (which won't diminish my rating for them) is that the bass is a bit lacking but not by much, it's mainly at the lower volume levels that I have noticed this.. but all around the earphones are fantastic and if you have the money I strongly recommend you get a pair

Pros: Design, Fit, Sizes, SQ

Cons: Price, and Cables

So let me start of with saying this review is geared for people who are trying to decide if buying these is a good investment, from a more average consumer. I am not an audiophile or musician, I just really enjoy music. I got these from my local Apple Store, where headphone selection is very limited to begin with. Seeing something like these for $400 you'd actually be curious to see them. You are paying for an experience, for me $400 was a bit pushy to think of, but it was worth it for these bad boys.

Yes it is.

First being, quality packaging: For my personal experience I tend to be disorganized with the contents of my day bag. These things come with a carrying case that you know will be secure inside, and are somewhat stylish. I mean you are paying lots of money for them

Second, cables: These IEMs coming with 2 cables. The original blue cable with the mic and control buttons, and a spare black cable with nothing on it. These are detachable and you can change them at any time. For me personally, I had a slight trouble with changing them, but I believe it's because I am bad with my hands. The fact that they have a design to switch cables that are provided is nice.

Third, Comfort: This should probably be higher or the list, but anyways these feature 8 sets of ear cushions. There is a size for everyone. Plus they are comfortable in numerous conditions. Running, biking, walking, anything really.

Fourth, and most importantly Sound Quality: These are really AMAZING! First being that the isolation is better than its Predecessor. Not only that, they have 4 drivers, that contribute to a overall greater sound. These are really balanced, you will notice greater overall sound then most other options.

What's in the box
  • Earphones
  • Protective hard case
  • 5 pairs of silicone ear cushions (XXS, XS, S, M, L)
  • 3 pairs of Comply ear foam (S, M, L)
  • Audio cable
  • Cable with microphone/controls
  • ¼-inch adapter jack
  • Airline attenuator
  • Polishing pouch
  • User documentation

I am not really good at writing reviews, but if anyone has any specific questions about the headphones let me know.

Pros: I can find no real flaws, sound is amazing.

Cons: Just had a heck of a time putting them on lol.

I bought these on a whim and have no regrets. Just let me say wow, I'm just hoping when I get my he-400's they don't get overshadowed. But the ue900's are going to be for work and on the go. I've only had them for less than a day. I've just loved them unequalized, they are the first headphone/iem's that I liked unequalized. So they will need a bit more scrutiny when I get my he-400's but apples vs oranges really. If anyone has a recommendations for a portable amp that could tackle both? Pm me thanks and to anyone pondering the purchase, if you can levy the cash just go for it:D.

Update: Got some replacement tips off of amazon, and perfect fit now! No joke on isolation being excellent.And i also found the best way to wear them.smily_headphones1.gif

Pros: Fit,design,Sound,pakaging

Cons: price

I previously owned UE triple-fi 10pro which was ue's old flagship iem.

Just got them today and this ue900 has a lot of improvement.

First thing is isolation. Tf10 has medium level isolation comparing to

Shure’s or Westone iem

However Ue900 now provides a way better isolation than tf10.

Second it is so much comfortable compares to tf10.

I had no issue with wearing my Tf10 but

with ue900 I can only notice I am wearing headphone when I touch my ears.

Third is the midrange. Tf10 has more distance on vocal and some midrange

instrument yet ue900 brought those distanced midrange in to your ears.

It is full, rich and vivid.

The last is bass. Tf10 has Mid-bass boosted rather than sub-bass which makes sound a

little boomy. However ue900 has linier response between Sub-bass and Mid-bass which

makes bass deeper, punchier and tighter.

One thing that I was wanted more was treble like tf10 but it's not mean that ue900 is

lacking of treble. It is just my taste of music.

By looking at ue900, I can tell Logitech ue has put so much effort and time to replace their

old flagship iem and it seems like they did great job.

Pros: Audio, design, isolation, fit, cable

Cons: price, fitting them

Hi all and welcome to my review of the UE900.

Just got these from an RMA of my old TF10 from Logitech.

I can start of with that I'm not a music an or a professional within the music industry, i just love to listen to music and i do it all through the day.

This will be a basic review to give you an idea about what to expect from them.

Sound Reproduction:

The sound in these are amazing, that was my first through after i plugged them into my phone and started the music.

Tested with a HTC One X with Beats Audio and random spotify music("extreme" quality).

I can clearly hear the improvement over the old TF10 compared to these.

Don't have anything bad to say about the sound really.

The bass was good, the vocals also.

Tried the microphone during a call with them and was afraid that where gonna be a problem but they worked good, the other person sad he could hear me good so.

Design and Comfort:

The box is very nice and simple design.

They came with more accessories then i thought they would.

From Logitech:

5 pairs of Silicon ear tips (XX-Small, X-Small, Small, Medium, Large), 3 pairs of Comply foam tips (S/M/L), carrying case, 3.5mm to 1/4 inch adapter, sound-level attenuator, user documentation, pouch, audio-only cable"

ue-900-headset.jpg

They where a bit of a hassle the first time to put on, with the cable around the ear and that part, but once you done it 1-2 times its very easy after that.

Had a very good fit and didn't feel loose or any risk of falling out(which i had an issue with the TF10)

The cable looks like several twisted cables to gather, very thin and not stiff at all.

Nice touch to send with 2 cables and 2 colors, if you brake one you have another one spare! :), perfect for me, i usually end up wearing out the cable hehe.

I dont feel any pain from wearing them longer periods either so, and thats very good, very common i do get pain so:)

Value:

These are high-end in-ear and there after the price.

In my country(Sweden) they are about 599USD($ is very low for us doh) so they wont be for everyone's wallet :)

But if you are looking for a pair of high-end in-ear, these would be a very good choice in my opinion

That was it for me:)

Hope it helps some people here at least, sorry if its not that advanced so to speak :D

Logitech UE 900

Studio-grade sound. Crafted and tuned by same engineers who build our pro earphones for recording artists and sound engineers, the Logitech UE 900s feature a unique quad-armature design—two for the low end, one for the mid-range, and one for high frequencies. The result is nothing short of a revelation in music listening- a wide, front-row-center soundstage, take-your-breath-away depth and clarity, piano-like timbre, and just the right amount of color on the bass and treble. Choose your cord. The Logitech UE 900s come with two detachable, braided cables. The mic and on-cord controls let you answer calls with just one touch, change tracks and adjust volume—all without touching your iPhone® or iPod®. A second standard cable is included for those who need to listen to music and nothing else. Your own private sound chamber. When it comes to noise isolation—and great sound—fit matters. So, for maximum comfort and up to 26 dBs of noise isolation, the Logitech UE 900s come with eight pairs of specially designed ear cushions. Choose from five sizes of silicon cushions and three sizes of Comply® foam cushions, each designed with a large-bore opening to ensure the sound is delivered cleanly. Because nothing should come between you and the music you live for.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Logitech UE 900