Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Desktop Amps › Little Dot MK III › Reviews › eljustinoid's Review

Great headphone amp - Great pre-amp too. Highly recommended.

A Review On: Little Dot MK III

Little Dot MK III

Rated # 35 in Desktop Amps
Quality
eljustinoid

Pros: Smooth clear sound at any volume level. Great looking, very well made.

Cons: Collecting / swapping tubes is addictive. Rather sensitive to RF sources eg DECT phones

This is a nicely made and great-looking amplifier. Solid construction, good quality connectors and although I have not opened it up, from the pictures the innards/PCB look very well built. An opening in the bottom provides access to the gain DIP switches, if you want to try tweaking these.

My Audio Technica A700 phones sound great anyway. My only sound source is a PC and I prefer to use a proper volume control... the boost to sound quality from this outboard amp is definitely well worth having - and I now can't imagine living without those nice glowing tubes.

The pre-amp function meant I could trade in my amazing Rotel RA1412 integrated amp for a Quad 303 power amp (vintage, without modifications) - I just felt sure that the combination would work well. I am happy to say that the LD MkIII and Quad 303 combination is an absolute winner. My speakers are B&W DM602 S3 if anyone's interested and the whole system just sings (and kicks ass too).

The only issues I have had are:

1: The amp can easily pick up RF noise and for any proper listening I basically need to switch off the DECT cordless phone and base station I have in my basement office. I will just need to move them further away when I get the chance

2: Tube collecting / tube swapping (all this "tube rolling" business) is addictive. If you're the kind of person who will blow the required cash on audiophile headphones and a headphone amp, you are going to end up "tube rolling". I'm sure I've blown £60 / $100 on tubes already. They make great photographic subjects though - and they are just nice objects in their own right. I've had one tube go bad on me (a military spec Mullard - I suspect the seller might let me swap it...)

All in all a beautiful product and highly recommended.

Comments: