Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › LHLabs Geek Out › LHLabs Geek Out Reviews

LHLabs Geek Out Reviews

Barra

Geek Out 1000: A Powerful Quality Tube Amp in the form of a USB Key

Pros: Tube-like sound at a great price

Cons: Heat and a little brightness at times

The Geek Out 1000 (Serial Number 1254) being a USB DAC/AMP is absolutely the wrong solution for my needs, but given its reputation for sound quality and knowing it has a DAP sibling on the way, I had to hear it when I got the chance to borrow miceblue’s. This is all about SQ for me and boy has it been an ear opener, wow.   Listening Notes: Signature: WOW!!!!!! The Geek Out 1000 has a very euphoric/euphonic, thick, smooth, warm, and textured tube like sound with forward lush mids and a very impressive timbre. The sound stage is intimate, but reasonably airy sounding, very 3D, and realistic. At the risk of repeating myself, the thing that strikes me the most is how realistic and...
bhazard

High Quality, High Res, High Output, High Satisfaction, Low Price.

Pros: Everything. Best DAC/Amp combo I've heard under $500

Cons: Some heat. Unable to use with USB OTG + External Power on Android.

The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device. Light Harmonic already created and sold the Da Vinci DAC, an award winning $20,000+ DAC, but they wanted to take a chance and bring a more affordable device to the masses.   Kickstarter crowdfunding was used to successfully fund into the project. As an "investor" into the Geek Out, I felt connected with the project. I and the other backers wanted it to succeed. We offered advice that changed the device into a better one over time. We told LH Labs what we wanted, and they listened. I...
Downforce

Great sound, well made but requires driver and firmware updates

Pros: Exceptional sound, easy to use, great price, 2 audio outputs, great quality

Cons: Drivers are updated periodically, firmware change was difficult, slightly larger than other USB DACs

I took a chance and purchased this unproven product for $139 as an initial backer, long before production began. The price was as low as $99 for early backers, which was a screaming deal for a USB DAC. Mine has the blue finish with 720 milliwatts output, they were also available in 450 and 1,000 mW versions in various colors. The Geek Out is an exceptional product. It is made in the U.S. and is sturdy and well made. It took some effort to get this gadget to work on my Windows 7 laptops. There are 4 pages of instructions on Windows driver installation, but the process was quick and fairly easy. Installing new firmware was more difficult, but fortunately after one install it is no longer...